News:

• May 13, 2024, 04:44:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 2016 Nats Coverage  (Read 64167 times)

Online Doug Moon

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: 2016 Nats Coverage
« Reply #150 on: July 19, 2016, 04:51:16 PM »
If it gives you FPS (frames per second) options choose 60 or higher if it's available then go slo mo.  It's pretty amazing how powerful the camera is on the phones these days.

Doug Moon
AMA 496454
Dougmoon12@yahoo.com

Offline tom brightbill

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #151 on: July 19, 2016, 04:58:58 PM »
For those with I-phones, the 5S and newer also have Slow Motion. Like Doug mentioned, swipe at the bottom of the image, it's a bit to the left of normal "photo".
AMA 34849

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #152 on: July 19, 2016, 05:11:34 PM »
My Iphone has slow mo and it works great. I have nor tried it on a CL model yet. I used it at Charlotte motor speed way.
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #153 on: July 19, 2016, 06:17:00 PM »
After today's events and a quick sandwich I went to get a few flights in.  After three I realized I'm exhausted so checked out the guys practicing  on the LPad.  Finally a little breeze was blowing.  Much of the day it was near dead and Brett and I ran laps around the circle trying to figure out whatever breeze the flyers might feel and react to.  You could tell by our trail of water bottles strung 360 degrees around circle 1.  Many pilots flew their last maneuvers 180 degrees from where they flew the first one.  All did a great job and some incredible flying happened.  A side note: a couple discussions including at the awards ceremony today were about having both Classic AND Nostalgia 30 at next years Nats as separate events.  Contestants could only enter one category.  Most agreed by a voice vote.  Also Bob Hunt and Dennis wanted to bring up making these regular Nats events.  It's about increasing our head count/ footprint in the eyes of the AMA.  As was explained,  the thirty eight entries today didn't count- the contest didn't happen in AMA Nats terms.  We need those to count to gain 'market share' with AMA.  Someone (s) need to spearhead this and make it happen.
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #154 on: July 19, 2016, 06:21:41 PM »
When I was at the field Derek was taking more phone movies so I think he plans to post some later.  I got this shot of Joe Gilbert trying out his mending arm to see how he will handle tomorrow.  He did OK on his Ringmaster today but this is a different animal altogether.
AMA 20934

Offline Jason Greer

• Captain
« Reply #155 on: July 19, 2016, 06:29:34 PM »
Thanks for the continued coverage! What's going on with Mr.Gilbert's arm?  Hope it's not anything serious.

Thanks,
Jason
El Dorado, AR
AMA 518858

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #156 on: July 19, 2016, 06:45:17 PM »
 It's about increasing our head count/ footprint in the eyes of the AMA.  As was explained,  the thirty eight entries today didn't count- the contest didn't happen in AMA Nats terms.  We need those to count to gain 'market share' with AMA.  Someone (s) need to spearhead this and make it happen.

And what gain is it for us? None as I see it because most are entered in PA already. Doing so would disenfranchise the ones who don't want to pay $95.00 to enter a 1 day contest.
AMA 12366

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #157 on: July 19, 2016, 07:05:30 PM »
I think that's a little misunderstanding.  You would pay your one regular fee (45.) Then Regular PA has a $45 fee.  Any additional events are $10.00 ( I think). If you don't enter regular PA ,  just say Nostalgia 30, then it's would be like combat or carrier or racing.  So maybe $55.00.  Still a little high for a one day contest but not too many do just that.  As far as benefits?  I'm thinking more voice in Nats scheduling and field use.  This very thing was tested this week when a sport R/C er drove onto the LPad and began to unload his stuff to fly on the LPad during evening stunt practice.  I'll let him tell the story if he wishes but I am told the guy and Paul Walker had 'words' and finally Joyce Hager at HQ stepped in to clarify the LPad is off limits to everybody but CL stunt this week.  This is just an example.
AMA 20934

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #158 on: July 19, 2016, 07:25:56 PM »
Thanks for the continued coverage! What's going on with Mr.Gilbert's arm?  Hope it's not anything serious.

Thanks,
Jason
Jason Joe somehow got his arm pinched or twisted working on one of his full scale airplanes and tore a tendon. 
AMA 20934

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #159 on: July 19, 2016, 07:31:53 PM »
Derek ,

Thanks for posting the video, I thought you were playing around with a new "high zoot" video camera. Very Nice work for  a droid .

Would be interesting to see a hourglass and how sharp the corners really are.

Ask and ye shall receive.

Derek

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #160 on: July 19, 2016, 07:34:32 PM »
Joe doesn't look too bad. He and I are both dealing with shoulder issues but we will pull through.  ;)

Derek

Matthew Brown

« Reply #161 on: July 19, 2016, 07:38:16 PM »
Cool videos. Interesting that it kind of looks like the plane is sliding through the corner rather than a smooth arc.
I love the things you can see with high speed video.
Matt

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #162 on: July 19, 2016, 07:38:43 PM »

Derek

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #163 on: July 19, 2016, 07:48:29 PM »
Joe, doing his thang.

Derek

Offline big ron

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #164 on: July 19, 2016, 07:54:39 PM »
Those are cool videos how about some with the pilot there is one on here I think with Igor Burger that shows him only was very helpful showing body position and hand placement.
Great work thanks for everyone's coverage
John Blanchard
Brusly, Louisiana
 AMA 1054488

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #165 on: July 19, 2016, 07:54:47 PM »
One more for tonight, enjoy.

Derek

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #166 on: July 19, 2016, 07:56:06 PM »
Those are cool videos how about some with the pilot there is one on here I think with Igor Burger that shows him only was very helpful showing body position and hand placement.
Great work thanks for everyone's coverage

Competition starts tomorrow but I'll work on it.

Derek

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #167 on: July 19, 2016, 08:16:29 PM »
I think that's a little misunderstanding.  You would pay your one regular fee (45.) Then Regular PA has a $45 fee.  Any additional events are $10.00 ( I think). If you don't enter regular PA ,  just say Nostalgia 30, then it's would be like combat or carrier or racing.  So maybe $55.00.  Still a little high for a one day contest but not too many do just that.  As far as benefits?  I'm thinking more voice in Nats scheduling and field use.  This very thing was tested this week when a sport R/C er drove onto the LPad and began to unload his stuff to fly on the LPad during evening stunt practice.  I'll let him tell the story if he wishes but I am told the guy and Paul Walker had 'words' and finally Joyce Hager at HQ stepped in to clarify the LPad is off limits to everybody but CL stunt this week.  This is just an example.

Why would someone want to pay $55.00 extra for a 1 day contest Which now costs $10.00. Charles Reeves,Jim Lynch,John Simpson and many more would just choose not to fly. In my opinion this is a BAD idea! There is no gain for a bigger footprint (whatever than means) As far as RC fliers flying off the L Pad simple signage would stop this. It has worked as is for years.
AMA 12366

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #168 on: July 19, 2016, 10:29:24 PM »
Pick you favorite pilot, pick any maneuver, and I will capture it in SloMo

The Golf Cart ' lady ' - Throwing a Wobbly !

What would happen if someone let her tyres down , while she was ' otherwise occupied ' .  ;) ;D

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #169 on: July 20, 2016, 04:43:39 AM »
Today begins the first of two qualifying days of flying.  Each flier has two flights each day,  the single best each day added to find a place in the Top 20 to fly Friday.  The forecast is about the same for both days.  Winds calm early to around 6 mph.  20% chance of storms after 2 pm.  Here we go!
AMA 20934

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #170 on: July 20, 2016, 07:49:36 AM »
Joe doesn't look too bad. He and I are both dealing with shoulder issues but we will pull through.  ;)

Derek

Issues?  Have you been throwing around the football again?
Steve

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #171 on: July 20, 2016, 07:53:52 AM »
" Also Bob Hunt and Dennis wanted to bring up making these regular Nats events.  It's about increasing our head count/ footprint in the eyes of the AMA.  As was explained,  the thirty eight entries today didn't count- the contest didn't happen in AMA Nats terms.  We need those to count to gain 'market share' with AMA.  Someone (s) need to spearhead this and make it happen."

Couldn't agree more!

It is absurd to think that AMA doesn't recognize all that happens at the Nats. Classic and Nostalgia are increasingly popular.

These airplanes also have the advantage at some  local contests of being multi event airplanes. Less building for many people.

BTW  Do we have any details of OTS, Classic and Nostalgia?????   Pictures? Scores?
AMA 7544

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #172 on: July 20, 2016, 08:34:41 AM »
I wondered why OTS and Classic were non-official years ago......took a poll at a GSCB Stunt Forum attended by about 50 people and the overwhelming opinion was to leave them as non official.
I wondered the same about Beginner and later Intermediate.......

Mayhaps I'm getting senile, but I think it's fine that those four classes are non official, one day, events......they are fun, and staffed by volunteers that are often flying later in the week.......

My puzzlement now is why we fly three age classes and two official classes.....I'm a believer that Expert should be flown and J,S,O eliminated...

Have fun....

John Leidle

« Reply #173 on: July 20, 2016, 08:54:53 AM »
   I don't believe raising the price from $10.00 to $95.00 will increase anything other than the number of pilots that don't come to the contest,  I am against this idea.
                  John L.

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #174 on: July 20, 2016, 09:03:08 AM »
I wondered why OTS and Classic were non-official years ago......took a poll at a GSCB Stunt Forum attended by about 50 people and the overwhelming opinion was to leave them as non official.
I wondered the same about Beginner and later Intermediate.......

Mayhaps I'm getting senile, but I think it's fine that those four classes are non official, one day, events......they are fun, and staffed by volunteers that are often flying later in the week.......

My puzzlement now is why we fly three age classes and two official classes.....I'm a believer that Expert should be flown and J,S,O eliminated...

Have fun....
and doing this will accomplish what?
eliminate the BOM from the NATS, * already shown to be a bad idea and NOT widely accepted*
basically eliminate the history and tradition of NATS stunt competition * already shown to be a bad idea and not widely accepted*
we fly J,S,O and Advanced ,
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #175 on: July 20, 2016, 09:37:11 AM »

(Clip)

I'm a believer that Expert should be flown and J,S,O eliminated...

Have fun....

The Walker Cup recognizes the National Stunt Champion each year which is a separate competition for the Champions in each age category of the Precision Aerobatics competition.  This is a tradition from the beginning of the Walker Cup.  There is no need to change this.  PAMPA has worked hard to maintain this tradition.  It is not inconceivable for a young flier to come up and win the Cup as has been done in the past, although it has not happened for a while.  

Dennis Adamisin was the last to win as a Senior in 1972.  There have been several instances since where the competition was close.  For example, it took a strong last flight in the Walker Cup flyoff by David Fitzgerald to beat Ron Gruber by only a few points in 2004 - a Senior at the time- to secure the cup.  (That was the year when the FAI World Championships were held in Muncie, just before our Nats.) 

Keith
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 06:43:19 AM by Trostle »

Online Doug Moon

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #176 on: July 20, 2016, 10:17:43 AM »
Rich has made it known for years how he stands on it. Let's not bog down Daves thread with that stuff.
Doug Moon
AMA 496454
Dougmoon12@yahoo.com

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #177 on: July 20, 2016, 11:02:39 AM »
Rich has made it known for years how he stands on it. Let's not bog down Daves thread with that stuff.
noted and agreed
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #178 on: July 20, 2016, 11:45:49 AM »
Day 1 qualifying is nearing completion with three of the four circles finished.  As soon as tallies are complete I'll post today's standings.  We started out with near dead conditions and it was treacherous for a few flying in their own wake turbulence but also their were some other goblins as morning thermals broke lose and lifted off.  Such was the unfortunate tale of Kenny Stevens who flew quite early.  A goblin got him and was left to pick up the pieces-sad- he's a great flier and real neat guy.  He has other planes but not here so he couldn't get another and get back in time.  He could fly tomorrow but with a very low first day score it would be for practice only as there is no math to make qualifying possible.  The winds began to build as the morning progressed enough that I went into 'windy trim'.  Perhaps due to that circle 4 skipped the lunch break and forged ahead,  finishing first.  I'll be back with today's scores soon......BTW Rick Huff got out his wind-o-meter and was getting 12 mph at times- not at all outrageous but enough to become something affecting the fliers in some ways at times.  When it wasn't you flying the breeze felt good on this warm day.
AMA 20934

Offline Aaron Little

• Commander
« Reply #179 on: July 20, 2016, 12:24:03 PM »
Day 1 qualifying is nearing completion with three of the four circles finished.  As soon as tallies are complete I'll post today's standings.  We started out with near dead conditions and it was treacherous for a few flying in their own wake turbulence but also their were some other goblins as morning thermals broke lose and lifted off.  Such was the unfortunate tale of Kenny Stevens who flew quite early.  A goblin got him and was left to pick up the pieces-sad- he's a great flier and real neat guy.  He has other planes but not here so he couldn't get another and get back in time.  He could fly tomorrow but with a very low first day score it would be for practice only as there is no math to make qualifying possible.  The winds began to build as the morning progressed enough that I went into 'windy trim'.  Perhaps due to that circle 4 skipped the lunch break and forged ahead,  finishing first.  I'll be back with today's scores soon......BTW Rick Huff got out his wind-o-meter and was getting 12 mph at times- not at all outrageous but enough to become something affecting the fliers in some ways at times.  When it wasn't you flying the breeze felt good on this warm day.

I really hate to hear that about Kenny, I don't know if I have had a chance to meet him but maybe once, but from what I understand he is a great guy and regardless you hate to see anyone loose a good plane.

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #180 on: July 20, 2016, 12:36:34 PM »
Issues?  Have you been throwing around the football again?

Yeah, it has been bothering me again for the past couple months. I have had problems with my right shoulder since I hurt it lifting a piece of granite over ten years ago. The football incident a few years back aggravated it again but it has not been a problem for some time. I am not sure why it started hurting again but it did. I will probably get the Dr. To take a look at it when I get home. It doesn't hurt to bad when I fly, it actually hurts more when it's at rest.

Derek

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #181 on: July 20, 2016, 12:59:27 PM »
Or .... Send Gene a personal message here.
AMA 20934

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #182 on: July 20, 2016, 01:05:39 PM »
We are getting close- in fact I can go ahead and give you half.  Still waiting on circles 1 and 3. Here are 1 and 4:
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 01:25:11 PM by Dave_Trible »
AMA 20934

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #183 on: July 20, 2016, 01:06:20 PM »
AMA 20934

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #184 on: July 20, 2016, 01:07:07 PM »
AMA 20934

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #185 on: July 20, 2016, 01:26:21 PM »
And here is the rest;
AMA 20934

Offline Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #186 on: July 20, 2016, 01:27:21 PM »
Yeah, it has been bothering me again for the past couple months. I have had problems with my right shoulder since I hurt it lifting a piece of granite over ten years ago. The football incident a few years back aggravated it again but it has not been a problem for some time. I am not sure why it started hurting again but it did. I will probably get the Dr. To take a look at it when I get home. It doesn't hurt to bad when I fly, it actually hurts more when it's at rest.

Derek

No worries, it's just old age!

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #187 on: July 20, 2016, 01:28:32 PM »
AMA 20934

Offline Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #188 on: July 20, 2016, 01:33:00 PM »
Dave, you posted circle 1 twice. We need to see 3 yet.

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #189 on: July 20, 2016, 01:35:16 PM »
although the advanced shows circle three, and open shows ceircle one,, interesting,, but yeah open circle three missing
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #190 on: July 20, 2016, 02:00:26 PM »
Dave, you posted circle 1 twice. We need to see 3 yet.
Well crap!  Comes from practicing consecutive maneuvers.  Yeah I'm at the hotel and didn't get that shot.  Going right back out for the Pampa meeting so I'll run over there and post it in a little bit.
AMA 20934

Offline Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #191 on: July 20, 2016, 02:06:31 PM »
Try this. Went out and took the pic of C3O

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #192 on: July 20, 2016, 02:25:00 PM »
Thank you Paul!  Maybe I won't get a speeding ticket after all.
AMA 20934

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #193 on: July 20, 2016, 02:46:27 PM »

No worries, it's just old age!

Speaking of old age.... Happy birthday old man!

Derek

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #194 on: July 20, 2016, 03:05:31 PM »
Well, most of us are getting to be old guys.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #195 on: July 20, 2016, 03:13:38 PM »
Well, most of us are getting to be old guys.
No RAndy, this is the one area where YOu and I are still youngsters,, dont go and blow that please,,
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Will Davis

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #196 on: July 20, 2016, 04:02:48 PM »
Ask and ye shall receive.

Derek

Great video, thanks for posting
Will Davis
"Carolina Gang"

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #197 on: July 20, 2016, 04:34:04 PM »
Hey guys, don't worry about old age; it doesn't last. LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #198 on: July 20, 2016, 08:08:00 PM »
Rich,
As Bob Hunt stated "We need those to count to gain 'market share' with AMA. "

This has no effect on local contests. The point is AMA does not recognize the actual count for control line being flown at the Nats. This could actually have them end CL at a future Nats.

The GSCB may be voting on something that does not effect them, and certainly most of them do not fly at the Nats.
AMA 7544

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #199 on: July 21, 2016, 12:30:18 AM »
Rich,
As Bob Hunt stated "We need those to count to gain 'market share' with AMA. "

This has no effect on local contests. The point is AMA does not recognize the actual count for control line being flown at the Nats. This could actually have them end CL at a future Nats.

The GSCB may be voting on something that does not effect them, and certainly most of them do not fly at the Nats.

This is probably not going to happen as a official event would have to be in the rule book and both old time and classic are not.
AMA 12366

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here