Electric Stunt > New electronic technology

Fly by wireless

<< < (2/4) > >>

TigreST:

--- Quote from: Sean McEntee on April 25, 2016, 10:38:21 PM --- .......... I think it would be very difficult to relearn how to fly precise maneuvers with out the aerodynamic resistance on the controls.

--- End quote ---

:!You would not have to worry about "relearning" anything...there will be a "ap for that".   Stand in the middle of the circle hold onto to a single line attached to the middle of your handle. Open the ap on your cell phone.  Push the go button,...then just move about to allow the application to fly your pre-programmed pattern for you. 

John Rist:
I have flown scale ships that that have the elevator controlled by a servo.  The feel at the handle is not a lot different.  The reason for the set up was that it was a large scale model built from a converted RC kit.  It flew great but it was lead sled. This is OK for scale but not so good for stunt.  On top of all that as I read it scale rules no longer allow elevator control by a servo.  All other functions are ok.  I don't see any future for servo controlled flight surfaces in stunt.  Sport flying is another thing.  I have wanted to build a RC controlled model that is tethered by a mono line attached to a chest harness.  It would have active ailerons and rudder.  could make for some interesting maneuvers. 

phil c:
One area where this could be really helpful is in trimming.  Got a bit of a roll, trim it out.  A bit twitchy, slow the elevator response and/or travel a little.  Rabe rudder causing trouble, reduce movement and/or travel.  You could trim almost anything related to the controls in one or two flights.  Add a moveable trim weight and you could even trim the CG.

As Brett has pointed out many times though, once the system is built there is no practical way to prove that it isn't acting as an autopilot of sorts to smooth out maneuvers, minimize over control, control the engine run which is already allowed in electric(very bad decision that ).

Brett Buck:

--- Quote from: phil c on January 27, 2017, 05:39:47 PM ---As Brett has pointed out many times though, once the system is built there is no practical way to prove that it isn't acting as an autopilot of sorts to smooth out maneuvers, minimize over control, control the engine run which is already allowed in electric(very bad decision that ).

--- End quote ---

I agree on the autopilot, but not the engine/motor. I see nothing being done in electric that couldn't have been and has been done on engines, and the reliability is (somewhat to my surprise) similar.  Igor's feedback system effectively accomplishes the same thing, more-or-less, that Aldrich was trying to do with a Fox 35, Big Jim was trying to do with the ST60, and Hunt/Pappas did with the tuned pipe.  In fact, even after thinking about how to improve on it on IC engines using electronic feedback control for something like 45 years, I still can't see a way to do better than I am doing with a pipe and an Eather prop.

I still routinely see the same sorts of problems with electric setup that I see all the time with IC setup, for many of the same reasons. Many people set their controller up with FAR more response that they should, because it makes the feel like heroes when it pulls their arms off in the corners. Unfortunately, it also makes the airplane much harder to fly than it would be otherwise.

Every successful stunt power system since about 1950 has had very similar characteristics, I am not at all hung up on finding another way to do the same thing.

Brett

Jim Carter:

--- Quote from: TigreST on January 06, 2017, 10:04:45 AM --- :!You would not have to worry about "relearning" anything...there will be a "ap for that".   Stand in the middle of the circle hold onto to a single line attached to the middle of your handle. Open the ap on your cell phone.  Push the go button,...then just move about to allow the application to fly your pre-programmed pattern for you.
--- End quote ---
:) I have to agree with you .... considering I was born in the era of party lines and hand cranked wall mounted telephones, the design, production and addition of a whole set of as yet undesigned sensors opens the imagination to another realm of possibilities and yet stay within the "ol' skool" but still current rule requiring the elevator to be directly controlled by the lines.  For example, the USMC CV-22 Osprey .... imagine direct elevator control as per the rules but sensors on the elevator trim, movable ailerons and rudder to compensate for slack lines or to ease the tension for certain conditions, sensors to detect and compensate for any mismatch in throttle rpm, sensors to ensure rotor rpm for transition from hover to forward flight and back to hover, weight-on-wheel sensors to allow low and hi-speed taxi, and best of all pre-programmed sensors to detect a specific point during the performance where it taxies to full stop, engine to idle, brakes applied for full stop, cargo doors open, a pallet gets shoved out, door closes, then the engines spin up for taxi to takeoff.

Silly??  Maybe .... but in the words of Napoleon Hill “Whatever the mind can conceive and believe, it can achieve.”

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version