News:

• May 13, 2024, 12:45:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Electric Super Clown Maiden Flight  (Read 72469 times)

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
    • Sean Emery funny guy juggling and stuff
Electric Super Clown Maiden Flight
« on: June 24, 2015, 07:34:15 AM »
Since the loss of of out full time flying field I have needed an option to get out and fly near my house at some fields and parks. Thought a quieter plane would be prudent.
Thus...the electric Super clown
This is the maiden flight.
Shug

Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline John Cralley

• Admiral
Re: Electric Super Clown Maiden Flight
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2015, 12:48:35 PM »
Welcome to electric control line! The e Super Clown may not be a cutting edge stunter but it is a fun model and, as you observe, can be flown in local parks, ball diamonds, parking lots and so on.
John Cralley
Scratch Built - Often Re-kitted!!!
AMA 52183
Central Illinois

Offline kiwibrit

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 01:36:36 AM »
Mind saying what prop, and what rpm you settled on, Shug? I'm having huge fun with an OS FP25 powered Lighning Streak, which looks about the same size. But on a tongue muffler it is a little noisey, and it needs a thorough clean down after each flight, of course.

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2015, 08:46:45 PM »
Mind saying what prop, and what rpm you settled on, Shug? I'm having huge fun with an OS FP25 powered Lighning Streak, which looks about the same size. But on a tongue muffler it is a little noisey, and it needs a thorough clean down after each flight, of course.
A 10x4.5 prop and not sure on RPm. The electric timer set-up has three RPM speeds. Did not check it yet....but setting three is good and fast.
Shug
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2015, 12:49:47 PM »
What holds the battery in?
Is this a typical battery install for a profile? I haven't noticed one in the wing before. I guess you won't need any tip weight?

Thanks,
Chris
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2015, 01:56:59 PM »
What holds the battery in?
Is this a typical battery install for a profile? I haven't noticed one in the wing before. I guess you won't need any tip weight?

Thanks,
Chris
It slides into a slot in the wing. Velcro on the end. I added a few strips of Gorilla Tape for a better friction fit. There is about a 1/2 ounce of tip weight installed.
Shug

Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2015, 05:40:55 PM »
Sorry for all the questions, Shug.
Did you add sheeting or any strips inside the center section sheeting for the battery to rest on? This being an ARF, if it was a dedicated E-power design, could have come this way, but I would assume not, and that you just opened up the wing LE and did what was needed.
Just trying to learn more. It seems like such a simple solution, almost too simple!
Battery in the wing solves lots of problems, but could create some as well.

I still think that there needs to be a dedicated, no compromise, laser cut, E power only stunt kit. One designed with pre-planned cooling for battery, ESC, and motor. Or the same in an ARF.

In the mean time, its modification central I guess.

Thanks for the videos.

R,
Chris
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2015, 07:26:08 PM »
Sorry for all the questions, Shug.
Did you add sheeting or any strips inside the center section sheeting for the battery to rest on? This being an ARF, if it was a dedicated E-power design, could have come this way, but I would assume not, and that you just opened up the wing LE and did what was needed.
Just trying to learn more. It seems like such a simple solution, almost too simple!
Battery in the wing solves lots of problems, but could create some as well.

I still think that there needs to be a dedicated, no compromise, laser cut, E power only stunt kit. One designed with pre-planned cooling for battery, ESC, and motor. Or the same in an ARF.

In the mean time, its modification central I guess.

Thanks for the videos.

R,
Chris
I just slapped it together as it's own ARF form. Did nothing at all to mod it as it is just my local park flyer. Doinked it a bit on a flight and wing seemed strong.
Shug
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2015, 09:47:26 PM »
One thing: your horizontal tail pieces are 'bass-ackwards' -- should be wider at the front, tapering toward the rear, per the original PDQ design.

As for that collection of wires and other junk at the front end.....no comment.

FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2015, 07:13:33 AM »
One thing: your horizontal tail pieces are 'bass-ackwards' -- should be wider at the front, tapering toward the rear, per the original PDQ design.

Razor saw deployed today))))))))
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2015, 09:50:33 PM »

Fixed it this evening. Thanks for letting me know! Learning something all the time here.
Shug
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline NeilMclean

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2015, 09:59:39 PM »
Lol very diplomatic response Shugs.  H^^

Only thing I've been wondering is what's that hole in the wing all about? Does there seem to be any reason for it?

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2015, 10:04:14 PM »
Lol very diplomatic response Shugs.  H^^

Only thing I've been wondering is what's that hole in the wing all about? Does there seem to be any reason for it?
Unsure myself. My guesses are maybe lift to compensate for battery. Or a cooling of battery vent. Wish I knew for sure.
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline NeilMclean

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2015, 10:07:07 PM »
I'd thought cooling the battery, but seems a bit weird. Was thinking of covering it over to tidy things up but not sure it's worth it.

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2015, 11:23:47 AM »
That answers my question, I guess this is an E-power specific plane, and the battery slot comes that way.
I had thought it was a Shug retro-fit to a generic glow power ARF.

I would think that if the battery box doesn't vent on any of the sides, there is not any reason for the hole in the covering.

Any chance that one of you could post a pic of the battery box looking in from the front with the battery not in place?

Thanks!

Chris
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2015, 11:39:09 AM »
That answers my question, I guess this is an E-power specific plane, and the battery slot comes that way.
I had thought it was a Shug retro-fit to a generic glow power ARF.

I would think that if the battery box doesn't vent on any of the sides, there is not any reason for the hole in the covering.

Any chance that one of you could post a pic of the battery box looking in from the front with the battery not in place?

Thanks!

Chris
Here ya' go.....
Shug

Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2015, 04:19:31 PM »
Hi Shug,

We also have a E-Super Clown ARF.  My understanding is that the hole at the back of the battery is for cooling the battery.  Allows for air to flow over the battery and out the hole.

Fun airplane!  I have a McCoy .29RH powered Super Clown almost identical to compare with.

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2015, 06:09:36 PM »
Thanks for the pics, Mr E!
I would think that just covering the top of the wing and leaving the bottom open would be fine. Not sure if that would effect the aerodynamics of the wing though.
Seems like the two slits in the back of the battery box are pretty small, and that the wing skin holes might be able to be made a lot smaller and not effect cooling much, if someone wanted to bother.

For that matter, why not just let the battery extend to a stop and have the after end of it uncovered in the "window", where the battery is essentially the same or nearly the same thickness as the airfoil?
I would think that would cool better AND be less draggy, but I could be mistaken.

This gives many ideas for kit built and scratch built options....

R,
Chris
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline David_Stack

• 2016 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2015, 06:28:01 AM »
Chris;

For some additional 'inspiration', take a look at the Mike Pratt-designed e-powered "Delta Force" built by George in Cedar, posted to the forum at http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php/topic,30893.0.html.  He too slotted the battery into the wing.

Also, Dennis Adamisin did the same on his electric 'conversion' of the Brodak Shark 402: http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php/topic,28485.msg275550.html#msg275550

r/
Dave

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2015, 07:37:45 AM »
Thanks Dave, I'll do that!
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2015, 07:53:55 AM »
Here is a video of the electric Clown flying yesterday. Fun lil' Clown.
Shug

Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2015, 11:52:13 AM »
From what I see in the videos, it flying pretty good.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2015, 01:18:06 PM »
From what I see in the videos, it flying pretty good.
It is flying pretty good. Running at full rpm is best for me. Went back to 55' lines. Just went to a local school and ran through 5 batteries. Easy. Just tote plane and batteries and handle out and go. I did discover that bringing a small battery powered fan works terrific for cooling the motor between flights...http://www.travelonbags.com/3-speed-personal-folding-fan
Shug having fun)))))
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline NeilMclean

• Lieutenant
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2015, 09:16:00 PM »
Looks great Shug. Has that wobble gone now then?

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2015, 11:38:19 PM »
Looks great Shug. Has that wobble gone now then?
Pretty much gone for sure. I think the faster speed helps and learning to "fly through" manuevers. Ease it in corners rather than banging it. A bit of handle finesse.
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline NeilMclean

• Lieutenant
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2015, 04:25:35 PM »
When you fixed the motor, where there 2 screws or 3? Mine has come with 2 but it looks like there should be 3.

Have you had many problems with overheating? I've read a few threads mentioning the cowl not allowing enough air through. Would it be worth drilling a couple of holes to allow cooking?

Btw, I read a thread somewhere from Mike Palko (who I believed designed the E conversion for  Brodak) where he talked about the hole on the wing. Apparently the original battery was going to be bigger but then changed just before production. The hole is to allow air to flow in from the front and out again to cool the battery. So we guessed right?  H^^

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2015, 04:59:46 PM »
When you fixed the motor, where there 2 screws or 3? Mine has come with 2 but it looks like there should be 3.

Have you had many problems with overheating? I've read a few threads mentioning the cowl not allowing enough air through. Would it be worth drilling a couple of holes to allow cooking?

Btw, I read a thread somewhere from Mike Palko (who I believed designed the E conversion for  Brodak) where he talked about the hole on the wing. Apparently the original battery was going to be bigger but then changed just before production. The hole is to allow air to flow in from the front and out again to cool the battery. So we guessed right?  H^^
Mine only had two as well. I emailed Patti at Brodak and she sent me more. They are 3mm. Make sure to tighten the set screw on the back side of the motor. There are two recessed holes to go through to tighten them. Mine came loose a couple of times. You'll know if they do as the motor starts to grind and scream in the ait and slow down.
I hate to say it but I have been just a wee disappointed in the motor quality. I bought a second one just to have a back up. When it works it works but I have had to goof with it a bit too much. I hve two electric motors from RSM..Eric Rules outfit but have not finished the planes as of yet. Bench ran them. They have govner/timers and all that good stuff.
We shall carry forth.
Shug
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline NeilMclean

• Lieutenant
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2015, 07:03:16 AM »
Thanks again Shugs. You live and learn.

This is one of the problems with me having to order from so far away but C'est las vie.

Offline NeilMclean

• Lieutenant
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2015, 01:00:15 PM »
Just had a look at the motor to see if I could find these screws you mentioned. Are they the ones tightened with one of the Allen keys provided?

I also looked (for the first time) at how the motor will fix to the motor mount. It looks like the 3 wires come out at the exact point where the motor fits to the motor mount? Does this not make it almost impossible to fix it straight, and does this cause further problems?

I also had a look at one of the pics you posted earlier and your timer looks different to the one they sent me. Did you change it? You also seem to have the start button attached to the top of the fuse? I don't seem to have one of these but there is a start button on the timer. Just thought I'd ask in case I've missed something?

Cheers.

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2015, 01:28:15 PM »
Just had a look at the motor to see if I could find these screws you mentioned. Are they the ones tightened with one of the Allen keys provided?

I also looked (for the first time) at how the motor will fix to the motor mount. It looks like the 3 wires come out at the exact point where the motor fits to the motor mount? Does this not make it almost impossible to fix it straight, and does this cause further problems?

I also had a look at one of the pics you posted earlier and your timer looks different to the one they sent me. Did you change it? You also seem to have the start button attached to the top of the fuse? I don't seem to have one of these but there is a start button on the timer. Just thought I'd ask in case I've missed something?

Cheers.

No...they will reqiure a smaller allen wrench. They are on the back end of the motor. As to the motor mounting...just press the wires into the small groove on the motor right by the wires to get clearance.
They did send me the incorrect timer. It was pointed out to me. Got the proper one coming. The button came with the timer.
Flew today 6 flights. Best day with it yet.
Brodak makes a few mistakes...but don't we all. They have been good about making things right.
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here