News:

• April 28, 2024, 08:18:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Stalker .51  (Read 4468 times)

John Leidle

• Trade Count: (0)
Stalker .51
« on: February 06, 2012, 06:26:27 PM »
 Ok guys ,what's the trick setup for the Stalker .51 I used all synthetic   10% with an 11-6 APC      not bad but  I think my DS .54 might beat the c#^*!p out of it.
  john

Offline Joe Yau

• AMA Member
  • Captain
    • My CLPA Channel
Re: Stalker .51
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 08:23:18 AM »
Ok guys ,what's the trick setup for the Stalker .51 I used all synthetic   10% with an 11-6 APC      not bad but  I think my DS .54 might beat the c#^*!p out of it.
  john

I don't think the 11x6 is the right prop for the Stalker .51 (not enough load).  From what I remember.. Keith Varley got the best run using a 12x6 cf Stalker prop on his Oriental Plus. 

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 09:13:16 AM »
I fly a Stalker .51RE in my 65 oz Pathfinder LE. I get great runs with very good power. I imagine there are more powerful .51s out there, but, I get all the power I need, and it's very consistent.

I fly at high altitude, 4600 ASL, but don't have any problems going to lower altitudes, other than using more fuel.

My set up is simple. I run FAI fuel with 17% all syn fuel. Stock venturii, stock as sin with the head gaskets. I've been using a 12 x 6 EVO prop.

Have you added any head gaskets with the nitro? Have you gone to a larger venturii? Consider going to a 12 x 6 prop, and going back to the stock set up.  H^^
Getting a line on life. AMA 1601

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 10:49:56 AM »
I'm running two Stalker 51 engines.  I use my own "hybrid" fuel mix, by mixing some SIG 10-10-10 with "R/C" fuel containing mostly synthetic.  On advice from many on this forum, I'm running a little castor oil, but not a lot.

I've added an extra head gasket so I can use some nitro without detonation.  FAI fuel is hard to get around here.

My only complaint with Stalkers is the poor way the muffler is attached.  Hard to keep it in place.

Floyd
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

John Leidle

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 06:54:31 PM »
  Ok ,I'll try a 12-6  I tried an 11-7  it didnt like it very well but the engine is still new, I havent added head shims.  I'll mess around a bit  .
  Thanks, John

Offline Mike Callas

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 09:30:23 PM »
I'm running two Stalker 51 engines.  I use my own "hybrid" fuel mix, by mixing some SIG 10-10-10 with "R/C" fuel containing mostly synthetic.  On advice from many on this forum, I'm running a little castor oil, but not a lot.

I've added an extra head gasket so I can use some nitro without detonation.  FAI fuel is hard to get around here.

My only complaint with Stalkers is the poor way the muffler is attached.  Hard to keep it in place.

Floyd

Have you tried a spring(s) from the muffler can to the motor? I did that to my 46 and it seems to stay in place. That's what all my 2 stroke dirt and street bikes have.

Offline RDJeff

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 09:30:04 AM »

Have you tried a spring(s) from the muffler can to the motor? I did that to my 46 and it seems to stay in place. That's what all my 2 stroke dirt and street bikes have.

2 stroke street bikes?

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 10:18:33 AM »
Sure, Yamaha RZ 350 or 400, a few 70s vintage street Suzukis, any number of street legal 2 stroke enduro bikes and the legendary Kawasaki 350, 500 and 750 cc Mach III Triples (Zero to Forest Lawn in three seconds!)  There are others as well. 8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Mike Callas

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2012, 05:03:07 PM »
RD 400 baby!!
I built it up from 2 milk crate worth of parts that cost me $300. I found an RD 350 frame with wire wheels and chrome gizmos. Got it to run great, added DG pipes and bigger Mikunis. Around 7K rpm the porting, carb, pipes and moons aligned resulting in wheelies.
I smoked my DMV moto practical test because it is a nimble bike.

John Leidle

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2012, 02:02:18 AM »
  There are 2  1965 X6s on Ebay right now.

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2012, 12:43:37 PM »
I'm watching e-bay for a "Whizzer" miotor-powered bicycle!  To restore and ride around on my 6 acres.

Floyd

Offline PJ Rowland

• AUS - 29541 AMA - 809970
  • Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2012, 10:33:08 PM »
I always ran a blend of Syth and castor - Shims are dependant on run desired and switching. anythign up to 15% nitro.

Load that engine up, and run hi pitch. 11 x 7 should be ideal. - However they done like APC props. I only use the carbon props.

Stalkers are a low rmp torque engine - you must run it that way.

Agreed, teh .51 muffler is aweful, hence I run the .61 on everything small. The muffler bolts on. Those press'on's were rubbish.

( Stalker Runner since 2000 ran - 46, 51, 51se, 61, 61EX, 61LS, .66, .76, .81 )

Set them all up the same way by varied pitch and venturi.
.285 should be a good start for your .51..

I personally would ditch it in favor of the .61 more usable power and better muffler mounting. Barely a few grams more for alot more power.
However you should still be able to get good runs with proper setup.

If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.” - Bruce Lee.

I Yearn for a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2012, 02:23:56 PM »
No arguements with above post however the later models of the Stalker 51 have the improved bolt on muffler assembly w/jam nut. I like them for 46 sized stunters but could be used for smaller (or larger for that matter) models.  8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

John Leidle

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2012, 09:45:43 AM »
 I wasnt aware that the weight for a .61 is so close to a .51  .My .51's muffler threads on like a fine thread plumbers pipe. 

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2012, 10:46:51 AM »
One of my Stalker 51 has the threaded muffler connection.  It seems to be holding.  The other Stalker uses O-rings.  I finally found some O-rings that seem to be holding up.  Regardless, that muffler requires a hold-down clamp at the rear.  That is also a pain!  The best muffler connection seems to be the RO-Jett, with 2 bolts to the engine.  I don't use a muffler rear hold-down on that one, and that also seems to be working.

Floyd

Offline PJ Rowland

• Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2012, 07:28:28 PM »
Floyd, The Stalker .61 series has that same 2 bolt configuration as the Rojett.

I think the press on series is rubbish - Hence another reason to bolt a .61 into your plane. Weight increase is minimal.
If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.” - Bruce Lee.

I Yearn for a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Offline Alan Resinger

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2012, 01:11:05 PM »
PJ
Only the Stalker 61RE Long Stroke has the bolt on muffler.  The 61RE in either the 4-2-4 version or the now discontinued 2-2-2 still use the plug in muffler with 2 O-rings on the muffler.  Contrary to what some people say this method is quite acceptable if the rear of the muffler is secured to keep it from moving either twisting or forward and backward.  The use of Vitron or silicone O-rings is also advisable.  I happen to like the older heavy case version of the 61 as I think that due to the lightening of the case, engine runs are slightly less stable.  The 61 LS is admitttedly about 2 oz. lighter than the standard 61RE.  The long stroke version is also the basis of the 66RE which is a 1mm bored out version of the 61.
Alan Resinger

Offline PJ Rowland

• Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2012, 07:02:31 PM »
Alan :
Only the Stalker 61RE Long Stroke has the bolt on muffler.  The 61RE in either the 4-2-4 version or the now discontinued 2-2-2 still use the plug in muffler with 2 O-rings on the muffler. 

That is simply incorrect..
I have both the Standard 4/2/4 and the Longstroke.
They are BOTH bolt on.

Infact the only .61 I ever had which was presson was the original 2/2/2 version. Thats been long since discontinued.

Here is a photo of BOTH my .61's  - you can clearly see which is the Longstroke and which isnt. Both are bolt on.
FYI : The L/S is a far better running engine than the standard .61 - but you have to set them up correctly. The classic Gieseke Nobler I had to make Top 20 in open last year was the Longstroke edition - was faultless all week.

Offline PJ Rowland

• Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2012, 07:07:31 PM »
" The long stroke version is also the basis of the 66RE which is a 1mm bored out version of the 61. "

Spot on.. now for some reason I've never had success with this engine, getting it to behave the way my others do.

its the only one in the series I've ever had issues with.  ???

Offline Alan Resinger

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2012, 07:39:55 AM »
PJ
I stand corrected.  I have 2 of the old heavy case 61RE engines that are set up like the ones Brian Eather uses.  Both have the old plug in style muffler.  I haven't ordered one of the 61RE from Oleg in quite a while so didn't know that he had gone to the newer case on the engine.  The 2-2-2 version has been available but only by special request.  Brian told me the other day in a letter that he had just gotten the last one that Oleg was going to make.
The 66RE did seem to have problems although the couple of originals made for Brian worked well as did the one he got made for me some years ago.
Alan

Offline David Zwolak

• Ensign
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2012, 09:58:04 AM »
Who is "Oleg", out of curiosity?  I enjoy learning where our little powerplant gems are made and by whom.  Can anyone post a brief history of the Stalker engines and their maker(s)?

Offline Alan Resinger

• Captain
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2012, 01:30:12 PM »
Oleg Korotchaev is the founder of the Stalker engine company.  Stalker is what we would call a cottage industry in that they make small numbers of engines probably working out of a home as opposed to a factory.  They are located in Kharkiv, Ukraine which to my understanding was the longtime center of the aerospace machining industry for the former USSR.  These guys have access to materials and equipment that is required to turn out pretty high quality engines.  The materials used in the piston and liner assemblies is absolutely top notch.  The Stalker engine has been around for 20 years or so and was initially marketed by a gentleman in Britain under the name Stalker Modusa.  Now there are a few agents for the company with Kaz Minato being the main dealer.  There are also a couple in Europe, Australia and myself in North America.
Alan Resinger
Vancouver, BC

Offline PJ Rowland

• Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2012, 03:14:09 PM »
Oleg is also amazing if you want custom one off parts made.

For example - I wanted a larger bore muffler - so I had the .76 muffler diameter made to my specs. - Also had a new Hemi head made for my .61 L/S - All brilliant workmanship.

He's a nice guy to boot !

Alan - No sweat mate - I think brian possibly has the only good running .66 in the world. - I think maybe the lightened case and a balance issue are the sources of the problem. - Who knows.

Offline David Zwolak

• Ensign
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2012, 07:46:35 PM »
Thank you Alan and PJ!  Cheers - David

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here