News:

• May 12, 2024, 11:15:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fuel capacity requirment for MVVS 49 on pipe  (Read 1079 times)

Offline Gordon Tarbell

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Fuel capacity requirment for MVVS 49 on pipe
« on: February 20, 2012, 02:39:32 PM »
Is 200cc (6.7 oz.)enough to run this eng. on 10%nitro,20%oil with pipe set up? Plane Wgt. will probably be in high 60's .
Gordon Tarbell AMA 15019

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
Re: Fuel capacity requirment for MVVS 49 on pipe
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 03:56:57 PM »
Gordon: Give me a shout out. I have a stand set up for tuna pipe setups and we can do some testing. Test runs will give a pretty good idea of what to expect. My side exhaust MVVS 49 gets 6 plus minutes on 5.5 ounces.  8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 04:24:03 PM »
Derek Pickard in an engine test reported that his MVVS 49 -

"Running 20% oil and 5% nitro, this MVVS handled
the test plane through the F2B pattern for only 90cc of fuel.
Such a light fuel load definitely helps to offset the ounce of
extra weight of the thick-wall exhaust. Upping the nitro
content to 10% raises power a touch and a fuel capacity
closer to 100cc is needed."

But what is your 'pipe' set up?
MAAA AUS 73427

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
 Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.  It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 05:31:57 PM »
How many ounces is 100cc?  90cc?

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 05:47:15 PM »
How many ounces is 100cc?  90cc?

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM

100cc = 3.3814022558900003 oz

90cc = 3.0432620303010003 oz

A 4 ounce tank should be pretty much on the money for 10% nitro.
MAAA AUS 73427

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
 Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.  It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 07:12:13 PM »
Thanks, Chris.  With that low of a fuel consumption for a .49 engine, it appears that more power would be available with bigger venturi, etc..

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 07:25:14 PM »
Thanks, Chris.  With that low of a fuel consumption for a .49 engine, it appears that more power would be available with bigger venturi, etc..

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM

Bill, I am no expert on this but the MVVS engines that I have seen thrive on straight FAI fuel with no nitro (or as little as 5%) and keeping the compression ratio high - and they make good usable power in that form.

Why would one bother to chase more power at the expense of a reliable run?
MAAA AUS 73427

Offline Gordon Tarbell

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2012, 10:28:35 PM »
This is a later production eng. that came with low comp head for use with aprx. 10% nitro type fuels . Pete ended up with my spare that had the two piece no nitro head. (green anodized.) I have a Randy smith pipe I bought for it several months ago. He calls it an Ultra torque pipe. I need to dig through my papers and find his suggested pipe length and RPM settup.
Gordon Tarbell AMA 15019

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2012, 11:36:55 PM »
I wondered where that came from originally. It does run better on FAI fuel. If you want to run yours we can go out to the Woodland site. It is in good shape and very flyable. You can access Randy's tuned pipe chart on Heman's "Aeromaniacs" site. It will give you a starting point for length and RPM. I too am curious how it runs. 8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2012, 10:16:06 AM »
Bill, I am no expert on this but the MVVS engines that I have seen thrive on straight FAI fuel with no nitro (or as little as 5%) and keeping the compression ratio high - and they make good usable power in that form.

Why would one bother to chase more power at the expense of a reliable run?

Hi Chris,

Maybe one can keep the reliable run and pull a touch more power from it.  More power is never a bad thing.  Wrong props and trying to make the engine do something it doesn't like are the problems.

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2012, 03:30:55 PM »
This is a later production eng. that came with low comp head for use with aprx. 10% nitro type fuels . Pete ended up with my spare that had the two piece no nitro head. (green anodized.) I have a Randy smith pipe I bought for it several months ago. He calls it an Ultra torque pipe. I need to dig through my papers and find his suggested pipe length and RPM settup.

Hi Gordon,
                 I have two MVVS 49's, the glow one with a green head but sports a new liner with the latest trapezoid shaped transfer ports, Akrobat rear pipe and one that is dieselised, side exhaust and is intended to be side mounted.

Most of the comments that I have read regarding MVVS's centres around the power to weight to capacity ratio, they do seem a tad 'solid' for their capacity but the power they make seems to make up for this - if all of that makes any sense!

Its their solid nature that tempts fliers to put pipes on them, and well ........... put diesel heads on them. y1
MAAA AUS 73427

Offline Gordon Tarbell

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2012, 05:56:49 AM »
Pete I will call you end of next week about 'Woodland', I am on call till the end of the month so I am tied to my work truck and radio till then. Chris If I ever pick up another one of these I would be real tempted to dieselize it! It is built like a tank.
Gordon Tarbell AMA 15019

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2012, 04:14:41 PM »
Chris If I ever pick up another one of these I would be real tempted to dieselize it! It is built like a tank.

Gordon, over the years I have picked up many tips on the 49 diesel setup (many thanks to Keith Renecle and others) and a 'tank' is an apt description.

Smells like one too!
MAAA AUS 73427

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here