News:

• June 03, 2024, 10:23:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Sig Banshee  (Read 3100 times)

Offline Peter Walker

• Dadda
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
Sig Banshee
« on: March 05, 2016, 01:21:12 PM »
Hi Guys
I really need some advice please. I am busy building a sig Banshee and have a choice of two motors to use. The first being an old Fox35 and the other being a brand new OS Max 25LA. I have been told that the OS is stronger than the Fox because of the difference in technology. However, I have no idea how much truth there is in that. Can someone please assist me with some advice?
You never know what is around the corner.

Online Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Sig Banshee
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2016, 03:33:31 PM »
The LA.  It's Schnuerle ported, and generates much more power for it's size.  It ought to be good for a really light Banshee.  Not knowing how light you build, I'd recommend a 46LA, but I'm not sure how easy they are to find in Darkest Africa.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2016, 03:56:39 PM »
I'll second what Tim says. A banshee with an LA engine is the first plane i learned the complete pattern with. Great combo

Offline Peter Walker

• Dadda
  • New Pilot
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2016, 04:24:26 PM »
Thanks guys, I have tried to build it as light as possible.
C/L motors are hard to come by here Tim. Sadly there are not many of us in Darkest Africa that still build and fly them. I do however have a OS 40LA R/C motor I could use as well. Maybe I should use that?

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2016, 07:52:19 PM »
The OS40LA that's in my nobler right now started out in my banshee during testing, and ended up in a topflite tutor 2. The tutor is big, so the extra power was fine. The nobler that it's in now is very light, so i am taming it down now. I have no doubt it will be great. It's more than enough power, so a smaller venturi, or restricting it down with nylon netting as Tim has instructed may be just the ticket for your project also.
The banshee has no problem carrying the weight. Mine currently flys with an os40 four stroke

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2016, 10:27:42 PM »
I'm not sure what the .25LA weights, but to hang a .40 or .46 on there, you will come out nose heavy.
I have the OS.40FP on my banshee, and I was told to cut off 1.5" from the nose, which I did. And the CG came out just about right.
Alternately, you could-
Extend the fuselage aft of the wing,
Move the wing forward in the fuse,
Make a larger horizontal, which will weigh more.

If I was doing this again, I think I would opt for a wing shift forward, and make a slightly larger built up tail. It would be kind of cool to have a 30-34 oz Banshee.
I believe mine weighs 38 with not much attention in building, covered in MonoCote.

Good luck!

R,
Chris
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline Peter Walker

• Dadda
  • New Pilot
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2016, 10:46:47 AM »
Thanks a lot Chris, I have already moved the wings forward about an inch and a half. At this stage the plane is all together, so a larger tail is out. I am very willing to take a saw to the nose, but am just concerned about the engine barers. Can they stay as they are or will they have to move back as well?

Online Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2016, 11:04:01 AM »
If you've already moved the wings forward then you should probably just proceed as you are -- particularly if you end up with the 25.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Peter Walker

• Dadda
  • New Pilot
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2016, 12:10:39 PM »
Thanks Tim
I would really like to use the 25, i only hope it will be enough.

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2016, 12:17:33 PM »
It's definitely enough. I've tried 25 powered twisters and banshees. Also, my friend Dennis had a 25la powered nobler that's awesome! You won't be disappointed!

Offline Peter Walker

• Dadda
  • New Pilot
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2016, 12:52:42 PM »
Thanks Dane
That's it then, my weapon of choice will be the 25LA. y1

I must really say thank you to all on here for the valuable advice. I really want this to turn out well, and thanks to all of you I am sure it will.

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2016, 01:59:23 PM »
If you've already moved the wings forward then you should probably just proceed as you are -- particularly if you end up with the 25.
Exactly! It's either or, not both on the wing move/nose trim.
I suppose you could do a smaller amount of each, but I did what I was told and just cut back the nose.
You're fine with the wing shift Peter. Finish it up and fly on.
R,
Chris
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here