News:

• April 30, 2024, 05:06:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fuel poisoning from brass tube  (Read 1112 times)

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Fuel poisoning from brass tube
« on: August 09, 2013, 01:57:58 PM »
Guys,
Has anyone had a problem with fuel getting poisoned from having a length of brass tubing for fuel pickup in the fuel jug? I have recently run into a problem with the engine starting, running rich then just cutting on the ground. I put the engine on the test block to work through the problem. First thing I changed was the tank, swapped it out for a new clean plastic tank. Same thing happened, start, run, quite. Next changed plug, no change. Next removed the fuel filter, no change. I am now down to only one thing that is common - fuel.

I have my fuel (5%N, 28% oil) in two containers, one is the 1 gallon plastic jug, second is a 1 quart tin can that I modified the cap to have two tubes, one vent the other to the bottom for fuel loading. The tube that goes to the bottom was brass. A few weeks ago I noticed a slight green tint to the fuel in the can. It wasn't noticeable when you pulled it into the fuel needle so I forgot about it. Once the engine started acting up I remembered the tint and decided maybe it wasn't good to keep brass submerged in fuel and that it was causing the green tint. I clipped it off above the fuel level and put plastic fuel tubing  in its place.

What I'm wondering is if the brass poisoned the fuel to cause the sudden cut out? I know aluminum can kill plugs but I never heard anything like that about brass tubing only that it can crack inside the tank. Anyone have this experience?

Best,        DennisT

Offline Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Fuel poisoning from brass tube
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2013, 07:47:10 PM »
I have left a copper tube in my fuel and it turns a yucky brown motor (CAR) color but runs fine. I don't do that anymore............

Cheers, Jerry

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2013, 07:43:10 PM »
Guys,
Problem solved. I had built a 1qt tin fuel can that fits in a section of my field box. I modified the cap to have a fuel feed tube that went to the bottom of the can and another short tube for a vent. These were brass tubing. Seems that brass tubing that sits submerged in raw fuel reacts with it and poisons the fuel. The longer it sits the more the brass reacts and the worst the fuel runs. In my case I had a quart that sat full for a couple weeks. This fuel would start and after about 30-45 sec the engine would just cut. I changed tank, plugs, props, and engine with the same results. This left only the fuel as the component that was unchanged.

Today I did the test with fuel that was only from a plastic jug, no brass contact. Engine ran perfect, solid 4 cycle, would break to a 2 when the nose was pointed up then back to 4 once leveled. I knew that aluminum particles poisons plugs and that brass tubing in tanks could develop cracks but not that it could poison fuel. You learn something new all the time in this hobby.

Best,         DennisT  
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 07:56:32 PM by Dennis Toth »

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 07:32:42 PM »
Guys,
Just to double check, I did a second test this time with the low nitro fuel (first test was 10% Byron's with oil added to get to 28%) I had used in the fuel can but from this time from the plastic jug, no brass contact. Same result, one pull through, several flips forward and back, battery on, spinner flip - running solid 4 cycle. I adjusted the needle into a rich 4 cycle, tacked at 9600 on the 9.5x6 prop with muffler. Nose up break to 2 cycle, level back to 4. BTW, the bypass mod where you fill up about half with either a stick or JB Weld works great, added several hundred rpm from prior runs at about the same setting. Easy to do.

I did a search on brass it is zinc and copper but there are many variations including addition of aluminum, lead, etc. I have no idea what blend K&S tubing is but I won't let it sit in raw fuel anymore.

Best,      DennisT
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 09:43:21 AM by Dennis Toth »

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2013, 11:15:56 AM »
During one of the nitro shortages-- 1980 or so-- some Chinese nitro appeared on the market.  It must have had nitric acid or something in it.  It dissolved both the brass and the metal can.  It was bad stuff.  I've gotten Chinese nitro since then that has worked fine. 
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Advertise Here
Tags: fuel  engine quits 

Advertise Here