Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: K&B 40  (Read 971 times)

Offline petermick

• 2018 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
K&B 40
« on: August 14, 2013, 11:19:59 AM »
I just purchased the control line version of the K&B 40. It is a ringed engine with a full front bearing.  This engine has never been run.  It was originally purchased in 1998 from Brodak.  I paid $15.00 for it at our club auction.  I did a comparison of this engine to my LA 46. It weighs about 1.5 oz more than the 46.  It will fit right into the mounts for the 46. 

My question:
Is this a good stunt engine or did I waste my $15.00?  What modifications should be done to it?  From a performance point of view how would it stack up against the 46?

Thanks

Peter Mick

Eric Viglione

Re: K&B 40
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 12:20:38 PM »
I guess I'll comment since no one else has. I haven't run mine in years, but when I did, it swung an 11x5 just fine on a Jamison OTS model. And... that's probably the ideal place for one, a short nosed OTS model that needs a little weight up front, with a smooth run, and a reasonable amount of power, but not a stump puller. For instance, I'd put it in a Jamison or Viking, but not a Humongous, unless you can build super light... most Humogi' I've seen tend towards the porky side.

Chuck the stock muffler and get a chip, or it will bring your total weight up from 10.5 to 13 ounces!

Quips aside, it's a fine engine for what it was intended, and a great engine for $15! I think back in the day I paid $95 for mine??

EricV

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 01:23:02 PM »
Peter,
Back in the day this engine was use in by Les McDonald in the Stiletto (660 ?), I believe he won the World's with it in 1976. Stan Powell did the engine work. My understanding is that it is powerful for it's time. The reason for using the "40" at the time was you could use 0.015" lines whereas with the ST 46 you got bumped to 0.018" lines.

You need to be careful with the fuel and setting because of the Dyke's ring. Break it in slowly, on low nitro fuel with at least 25% oil most of it should be castor. I am not sure what prop Les ran but I think it may have been a TF 10x6. If you do a search on the Stiletto on here and SS board you will get the setup information.

Best,       DennisT

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 04:01:55 PM »
Greetings! :)  I'll offer you $25 for it!  ;D  I've got just the plane for it and nothing to run it unless you say okee dokee it's a deal!   ;D

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013, 07:09:36 PM »
If its one of the Brodak K&B 40s its a lapped ABC, not a ringed one.  What looks like a ring is just an oil groove.
Steve

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2013, 07:08:25 PM »
I have flown my K&B 4011s in my Humongous and in my Agile Arrow stunt wing.  I ran an APC 11 x 5 and released at 9,700.  I used Sig Champion 10% nitro, 20% oil, half castor, half synthetic.  I used the stock muffler, muffler pressure to uniflow, because I tend to build tail heavy airplanes.  Engine had a venturi and ST NVA, other than that stock.  I was well satisfied with it. U have not flown an LA 46 and cannot compare. 

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here