News:

• April 30, 2024, 07:39:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fox Big Case .45 BB for CL?  (Read 630 times)

Offline 50+AirYears

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Fox Big Case .45 BB for CL?
« on: March 19, 2011, 12:08:50 AM »
A few years ago I picked up a cookie tin of engines and parts from an estate sale.  Among the parts was a CL venturi for the Fox .45 through maybe .50 or .60.  Since I have a couple of the .45 rc engines sitting around unused, I was thinking on making the conversion, possibly for an NIB Shark .45 I have.  Any suggestions?  I was thinking for CL, maybe a 12-6 or 13-5 prop.  All the ones I have generaly start in one or two flips by hand, run well over 14600 and idle under 2000 on 10%, extra castor, and an APC 10-6.
Tony

Offline Phil Bare

• Captain
Re: Fox Big Case .45 BB for CL?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 06:18:37 PM »
Hi 50, The big case Fox .45 is a real power house and can be used for CL satisfactorly. Keep in mind that it is not a 4-2 engine and run it with low pitch and you will find it does a good job.  You can add a head shim or two to tame it a little. When that engine was introduced, Duke Fox was aiming his products at FAI and most every thing was over compressed. I run mine on FAI fuel and with one additional head shim and they do just fine.  Prop it with a 12 x 4 to start with and work from there to get the lap times that you want.   Phil

Offline 50+AirYears

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 09:46:32 PM »
Thanks.  I kind of though so, I've always thought they were a kind of gentle giant.  I've never had any trouble with them in RC, except maybe for finding a cast engine mount.  That case seems wider than even some .60s, but they do take a beating.  Mine, and another RC club membe, have actually had the engines imbed themselve in tree trunks, and the only damage besides broken plane and prop, is broken needles and maybe a distorted collet cone.
Tony

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 11:47:42 AM »
HI Tony,

Like Brother Phil said, they will work fine, stock, as long as you don't expect a 4-2 run.  A lot of good engines came out at a time when stunt was still being ruled by the "Classic 4-2 style" enginew run, so they were cast aside when they wouldn't do that.

There are plenty of great engine guys who can get the 4-2 run out of them, and usually with plenty of power left for our purposes.  But a "low" pitch prop, and a soft 2 stroke needle setting will work in most all cases.  Some better than others, but all fine for "Sunday" flying.

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Robert Schroeder

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 02:33:58 PM »
I had a big case .40 until the post office lost it.  I put it on a 35 year old Twister and it "Took off like a rocket".  I've been running a stunt tuned modern 46 ABC BB and it runs wonderfully.  It pulled a 61 oz. kit bashed Pathfinder with 710 squares around like nothing in a fast 4 cycle.  I love them.  I've since obtained an old large case .40 but have nothing in which to put it.  I also have an old case .45 but have done nothin but broken it in, so can't speak to that.

Bob
Bob from NWO:  If it ain't broke, fix it till it is!
AMA 15083

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here