News:

• April 30, 2024, 03:24:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fox .35 Mods  (Read 3847 times)

Offline Christopher Root

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Fox .35 Mods
« on: March 06, 2018, 12:04:52 PM »
Anyone still making after-market Fox .35 parts? Stuffer backplate, hemi-head, balanced crankshaft, etc?

C R

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Fox .35 Mods
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2018, 12:13:01 PM »

Check with Randy Smith, his email is randyaero@msndotcom hopefully this will help...
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline Jim Svitko

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2018, 12:30:39 PM »
The factory ABC kit, if you can find one, might be worthwhile to you.  When Fox was still producing engines, the factory supplied an ABC kit.  The lighter piston reduced vibration.  I never used any aftermarket crankshaft so I have no idea how much more improvement there would be regarding vibration reduction with a different crankshaft.

As far as any other performance gain (i.e. more power) I don't think the ABC parts made a difference that I could see.

I have also used the stuffer backplate and hemi head.   But, like the ABC parts, if there is a gain in power, I never noticed.

Offline Chris Sarnowski

• Ensign
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2018, 01:46:39 PM »
Hi Chris, take a look at this thread. Some parts are meant to make the Fox 35 run smoother or last longer.

https://stunthanger.com/smf/engine-set-up-tips/fox-35-stunt-mods/msg34904/#msg34904

Offline C.T. Schaefer

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2018, 02:58:59 PM »
Brian  Gardner is working on some Fox parts.  P/C  and crank.  TS

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2018, 04:47:04 PM »
Brian  Gardner is working on some Fox parts.  P/C  and crank.  TS

Of those I would get the crank first, and the piston/liner second (although that would be an improvement as well). The crank is mostly what limits you and everyone tells me that the Hi Zoot crank had an amazing effect on the vibration, too. Not breaking under 25% nitro would really wake things up without the risk on the stock part.

The stock piston/liner is mostly OK, at least as far as durability and consistency goes, until you get it too lean. The piston is really heavy and causes vibration but (unlike the ST46 and others) it's not prone to go over the hill suddenly.

Having both sounds pretty sweet, however, and then you can find where the next weak point is (probably the crank bushing but maybe the conrod).

Brett

Offline GERALD WIMMER

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
    • Auckland Free Flight Club
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2018, 09:52:48 PM »
Hello
The most common problem I seem to have with all my multitude of Fox engines (not just the 35's) is they get hot when you put an 'effective' muffler on them or try swing too big a prop even on mild fuel. The beautiful shiny case engines seem more affected then the blasted matt finish ones.
Regards Gerald

Offline Brian Gardner

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2018, 04:34:50 AM »
ABC Piston/liner/rod/pin sets are in the infancy stage, but are happening. Cranks too eventually.

Seriously interested people need to advise their commitment so I can make sufficient quantities.

Offline Manuel Cortes

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2018, 07:51:11 AM »
Hi all.

Brian, IŽll be interested in two Fox 35 sets, if finally they are made.

Kind regards.

Manuel.

Offline Christopher Root

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2018, 07:59:36 AM »
I might be interested as well. Price?

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2018, 02:11:49 PM »
Brian,
I'm in for at least two sets. Also look as possible reverse cranks, fox had them not sure if anyone flew them but since e-power has had success could be worth lookin at. One other area that would be interesting is to build the crank with a hollow wrist pin and put a Teflon button in it like the old McCoy to keep the conrod from rubbing the backplate, just a thought.

Best,   DennisT

Offline Brian Gardner

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2018, 06:12:36 AM »
The ABC sets would be my typical piston/liner/rod/pin. I'd anticipate a similar price to the OS Max-S35 sets of around $118AUD shipped which is $93US at current exchange rates.

The guys above who have requested sets-I've added you to the list.

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2018, 12:27:03 PM »
The ABC sets would be my typical piston/liner/rod/pin. I'd anticipate a similar price to the OS Max-S35 sets of around $118AUD shipped which is $93US at current exchange rates.

The guys above who have requested sets-I've added you to the list.

Brian  what is the crank going to look like as opposed to the stock one?  are you going to make  a  head,  Have you  seen  the  Smith 1 piece hemi head?  and  cran?  is the rod going to be bushed? ( tough to do with the tiny size)  will the piston use clips, or  pads?
You can PM or email me  if you would  like information on anything

Randy

Offline Brian Gardner

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2018, 03:14:49 PM »
HI Randy,

I don't recall seeing the Smith head. I do have someone's angled plug hemi head here. I wasn't planning on making any but if there are enough requests for them it would be no problem.

We've started on some prototype cranks. I think they may be similar to yours.

I do intend for the rod to be bushed, but there's not much meat to play with so we need to look at clearances in the case to see if we can add meat to the big end of the rod.

I was thinking of doing a larger diameter hollow pin so I could have teflon pads at the ends like with the OS35, but then we are not interchangable with old parts etc.

We haven't progressed very far yet as we've been so busy with the LA46's, FP40's, HP40's, ST35's etc.

Brian  what is the crank going to look like as opposed to the stock one?  are you going to make  a  head,  Have you  seen  the  Smith 1 piece hemi head?  and  cran?  is the rod going to be bushed? ( tough to do with the tiny size)  will the piston use clips, or  pads?
You can PM or email me  if you would  like information on anything

Randy

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2018, 06:27:35 AM »
Brian,
Since you are in contact with Randy Smith why don't you get the spec's and dwg's for this High Zoot crank and just make those? Would save time and that crank works well.

Best,    DennisT

Offline doug campbell

• New Pilot
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2018, 02:31:47 AM »
Brian
Please put me on the list for a Fox 35 piston liner set.
Cheers
Doug

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2018, 08:37:02 AM »
Brian,
Any updates on the status of the P/L sets or Cranks?

Best,    DennisT

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here