News:

• April 30, 2024, 01:16:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fox 35 stunt mods ?  (Read 3006 times)

Offline Rob Killick

• 2013 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Fox 35 stunt mods ?
« on: March 18, 2007, 09:12:18 PM »
Hi ,

I'm thinking about doing my 1st Fox 35 modification and I'd like to know if I install a hemi-head and stuffer back plate , will I still need the piece of hardwood in the transfer port ?
One more question ...

Who makes the best retro-fit parts (hemi head and back plate) ?

Rob Killick , MAAC 33300

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Re: Fox 35 stunt mods ?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2007, 11:05:24 PM »
Hi ,

I'm thinking about doing my 1st Fox 35 modification and I'd like to know if I install a hemi-head and stuffer back plate , will I still need the piece of hardwood in the transfer port ?
One more question ...

Hi Rob,

You might, and you might not, still need to block some of the bypass if you are using it on a profile.  Never need it on upright or inverted.

I don't know of anyone other than Fox who makes a stuffer back plate. (???)

The Randy Smith Head and Larry Foster's head (and about any of the other aftermarket heads) are better than the Fox hemi head.

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Dick Fowler

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2007, 05:46:14 AM »
Hi ,

One more question ...

If I were on a budget and could only afford one mod, it would probably be Randy Smith's H.Z. Crank. IMHO that single mod will produce a better runing Fox than any of the other pieces. I think the stuffer backplate is the least bang for the buck of all the mods. Partially blocking the transfer port will reduce the crankcase volume (increase the primary compression ratio) a heck of a lot more than the stuffer backplate so why not do that instead of the backplate. It's a heck of a lot cheaper and more effective, and it doesn't hurt anything even if you don't hang it on a profile.
Dick Fowler AMA 144077
Kent, OH
Akron Circle Burners Inc. (Note!)
North Coast Control Liners Size 12 shoe  XXL Supporter

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2007, 01:15:18 PM »
Hi ,

One more question ...

Hi Rob

I carry most all of the  parts for teh FOX 35, HZ cnc  and  stock crankshafts, all the stock parts, PA style NVAs, The Smith designed Hemi heads, etc
let me know if I can help you
and if your  not going to run the  FOX 35 on a  profile, you need not  bother with trying to stick something in the port
Randy

ph 678-407-9376

web  www.aeroproduct.net
« Last Edit: March 21, 2007, 04:07:41 PM by RandySmith »

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2007, 04:17:06 PM »
The main purpose of the stuffer backplate is to keep the rod on the crankpin.  On a stock Fox the rod can walk partway off the back of the pin, something like 1/16 in. or more. Keeping the rod in place improves longevity and smooths out running, since the rod is not moving around and creating more and less drag.  The hard anodized finish on the Fox stuffer backplate also has more wear resistance and less drag.
phil Cartier

Offline Marvin Denny

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2007, 03:59:17 PM »
  The Stuffer Back plate was never designed to "give more power" nor to "give more RPM.  It was designed to keep the rod fully on the crank pin and stop excessive wear on the shaft crank pin and rod lower end.  A fringe benefit to the reduction in wear was also an improvement in the stabilizing of the run (Infamous Fox Burp) on some engines and a reduction in vibration on most of them.

For my money, the stuffer backplate is one of the FIRST things I would get for my Fox stunt 35 if I intended to run it very much.

Bigiron
marvin Denny  AMA  499

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2007, 05:37:17 PM »
  The Stuffer Back plate was never designed to "give more power" nor to "give more RPM.  It was designed to keep the rod fully on the crank pin and stop excessive wear on the shaft crank pin and rod lower end.  A fringe benefit to the reduction in wear was also an improvement in the stabilizing of the run (Infamous Fox Burp) on some engines and a reduction in vibration on most of them.

For my money, the stuffer backplate is one of the FIRST things I would get for my Fox stunt 35 if I intended to run it very much.

Bigiron

Hi Marvin

Another  benefit of the cnc hard anodized  backplate is that it not only helps keep down wear on the crankpin and rod,butit  also helps the piston and sleeve  last longer by keeping the rod in one place instead of letting it wobble back and forth

Randy

Offline Marvin Denny

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2007, 07:43:54 PM »
  Randy,  You are preaching to the choir.   That is exactly what it was designed for and it also helps the glow plugs last a little longer by not shaving little aluminum particles off the backplate and rod.
  Before I started using them, I was wearing out three shafts and two P&C assemblies per engine per year in Foxberg race practice.  After starting to use them, I have yet to wear out a shaft and the P&C assemblies all last one to two years.
  I can't use them in an actual race as they are not "STOCK" but I use them exclusively in practice for foxberg and foxy hazle race. Oh by the way in those events, oil content is 20% nitro 10% and we run screaming lean !!  (not good for fox stunt 35s).
  Some time, I would like to meet you and jaw a while face to face. re the Hemi Heads.  Perhaps at Brodak's??

Bigiron
marvin Denny  AMA  499

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here