News:

• April 26, 2024, 05:57:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Engine lean on loops but 4 cycle level  (Read 4123 times)

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Engine lean on loops but 4 cycle level
« on: June 30, 2013, 06:59:07 AM »
Guys,
I'm working through a setup issue on my El D with a Fox 35. The engine holds a fast 4 cycle (with blips to 2) in level flight and wingovers but when doing the 5 inside or outside loops (or 3 eights for that matter) it will break to a 2 cycle and hold until returning to level flight then it goes back (within 1/8 lap) to the 4 cycle. The speed in the maneuvers is slightly faster then in level flight and I would like to get it to do the classic 10 - 2 break to keep a more constant speed (in this case a little slower) through maneuvers.

Details - Fox 35 iron p/c, upright mount, 9.5x6 old TF prop, uniflow tank with pinched outside corner (GMA style), 5%_28% oil Sig, Sig plug, ST NVA, launch rpm 9100, lap time level 4.8 on 60' C to C.

The one area that I am thinking about is the NVA - being a standard ST 51 spraybar it is 0.151" diameter, the normal Fox spraybar is 0.125", this cuts the venture open area down  by almost half. I have read that it should not make that much difference, after seeing the numbers I'm not sure I buy that, but for now it has enough pulling power for this ship. One thing I found that I'm not sure of the effect is that I installed the spraybar with the hole pointing forward across the venturi just below sight level (about where the hole would be with the 2 hole Fox spraybar). I'm wondering if that position is causing some slight airflow differential down the venturi that reduces fuel draw on the round maneuvers and if pointing straight down would get more consistent fuel flow and a better break?

I don't get to fly until Thursday so rather than try something that takes up flight time and may or may not work I though I'd ask if anyone has had this condition and how did you correct it?

Best,    DennisT

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
Re: Engine lean on loops but 4 cycle level
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2013, 07:15:13 AM »
Sounds to me like it is pretty close to what I understand a 2 - 4 run to be. I run the ST spraybar and am happy with it.  I'd sugget trying some different props.  I have run 11 x 5 props on Fox stunt 35s for many years with results that suit me.

Offline tom hampshire

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2013, 05:06:11 PM »
Hi Dennis - First, try going back to a Fox NVA.  It seems counterintuitive, but flowing more fuel means more oil, hence better cooling.  The effect of the added volatile components (adding to the heat of combustion) has been outweighed by the added oil whenever I've had one which won't break back from 2 stroke down to 4.
     Second, try a flight with no muffler.  Too much backpressure will tend to 'bottle up' the heat from combustion and prevent the engine from 4 stroking.  See the photo for examples of BIG muffler outlets, albeit on a B40.

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2013, 06:36:51 PM »
Hi Tom,
The problem isn't that it won't go back to the 4 cycle it just breaks to soon and holds until it gets back to level flight. There is no sag, upright and inverted are the same lap time nice solid 4 cycle with blips to 2. I have one of Randy's PA Fox NVA on order but just thought there might be something with the position of the hole on the reduced venturi opening that made it sensitive to air flow into it as it starts maneuvers. Could try one extra head gasket - what do you think?

Best,      DennisT

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2013, 06:50:19 PM »
Hi Tom,
The problem isn't that it won't go back to the 4 cycle it just breaks to soon and holds until it gets back to level flight. There is no sag, upright and inverted are the same lap time nice solid 4 cycle with blips to 2. I have one of Randy's PA Fox NVA on order but just thought there might be something with the position of the hole on the reduced venturi opening that made it sensitive to air flow into it as it starts maneuvers. Could try one extra head gasket - what do you think?

Best,      DennisT

I don't think you want more head clearance!  It's absurdly low already. Adding more clearance will just enhance the issue Tom was talking about (where it will hang on to the two for longer). If anything you might want to raise it.

Try a bit more nitro, or very slightly less diameter. The issue is likely that when you lost venturi by putting in the larger spraybar, you have to run it leaner and thus are closer to a two-stroke to start with.

Try a tank of 50/50 10% and 5% mixed in the syringe, and set it for the same level flight speed. It should end up running richer in level flight and then break later into the maneuver.

Brett

Offline tom hampshire

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2013, 07:45:00 PM »
Spot on.  We might be getting into the weeds a little by not stating that the goal is to get the engine to break up and down repeatably in each repetition of a maneuver.  That way, you get more torque/thrust uphill and less downhill, holding the speed about constant.  Having the engine go into a 2 stroke run and hold it for the entire maneuver set defeats the purpose.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 08:39:28 AM by tom hampshire »

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2013, 07:27:02 PM »
Dennis said "it to do the classic 10 - 2 break to keep a " That sounds like a perfect 10-2 to me LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~
Ed
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2013, 08:46:28 PM »
Having the engine go into a 2 stroke run and hold it for the entire maneuver set defeats the purpose.

A lot but not entirely. Even if it's in a two-stroke, the power still changes, just not as obviously. Depending on the nitro and compression, the actual break itself may have a very small power change and it's possible to have it *lose* power in extreme conditions, i.e. more powerful in a 4 than a 2.

Brett

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2013, 09:04:50 PM »
I have a PA NVA for the Fox coming from Randy, I had thought about what you guys suggested and think its the right direction. When I started with the El D I had a 9x6 on the Fox 35 but had some tank issues to work through and tried the 10x6 which yielded the current run condition. On this ship the power does go up when it breaks because in dead calm air the loop and eights are faster, not run a way fast just a bit (doesn't break in the wing over or climb and dive).

If the new NVA doesn't get here in time for the weekend session I will put the 9x6 on it and see if it changes the run characteristics.

Best,         DennisT

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2013, 01:56:20 PM »
Try a 10x5. I have gone to them on Fox 35s, at least on smaller models. There is less tendency to speed up in maneuvers and the engine does not have to work as hard as it does with a 10x6. The less heat build-up equals better runs. Also, smoother 4-2-4 transition. 8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2013, 07:25:46 PM »
OK, tested the 9x6 old Top Flite prop on the Fox 35 with the ST NVA . Pretty much a perfect run, solid 4 cycle in level flight with a touch of 2 at the top of the loops. The 1/64" crush pads have settled in (the spraybar is down a tad) so it broke a little stronger inverted but proved the stock ST NVA really cuts the airflow and makes it sensitive to load (prop size) and tank height. I am waiting for the Randy PA Fox style NVA and think this will allow the 10x6 with the normal Fox break.

Best,          DennisT

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2013, 06:38:52 AM »
Ok, the PA Fox style NVA arrived last week and was installed. This is a very nice unit, thanks Randy for getting them made up for us. I did some bench runs with different props to compare to the ST unit set at 4 cycle.
Rev-Up 10x6     ST - 8950;    PA - 9100
Rev-Up 10x5            9150;           9300
Top Flite 9x6            9300            9500

I was able to fly two flights with the Rev-Up 10x5, both still broke lean in consecutive loops (didn't do it in the wing over) then back to 4 cycle in level, about the same as with the ST needle. It has a very clean cut-off at the end about 1 1/2 laps lean and off. Also can do a very clean command shut off (Al Rube style).

I'm going to do a test with muffler pressure and see if the more open venturi handles the end of run better then before (it would run good through the flight except the last 12 -15 laps it would go crazy lean). I also will try the smaller prop and see if the break is better.

I have a feeling that the Fox 35 with a muffler just needs a smaller prop then running them open face as we did back in the day. The Fox is very heat sensitive and once you get to 28% ish oil the only other way to reduce heat is drop load - i.e. smaller prop.

Best,     DennisT

Offline tom hampshire

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2013, 07:29:53 AM »
Hi Dennis - Did it feel like it improved at all?  My thought is that there should have been a noticeable difference in how quickly the engine settled back to a 4 stroke every time the load was reduced.  Next try a muffler with a BIG outlet, or no muffler at all.  Best, Tom

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2013, 10:24:09 AM »
Back in the day.... I ran Fox .35s that I bought tight and hand lapped. Break in was longer but controlled.

I have a newer Fox in my Argus that I had the factory fit tight for me. Using the same procedure and  it runs great with no muffler. The factory was surprised that I wanted a tight fit, because they now set them up loose since people don't like long break in times.

Tom and Brett are correct in their statements. We used Testors 39 fuel that some people frowned upon, but it yielded the best break. One of my Fox .35s (a gold one) was flown 5 years when I was flying a min. of four days a week. After all those flights it sort of windmills down at the end of the flight, but I had Tom Hampshire check it for me. He told me "there is still life in that engine". A stock needle valve was used and rarely varied more than one click during the season.  I am sure that Randy's needle valve assembly would be better.

The Fox does not like back pressure, but we had no mufflers then. More recently I had a muffler on a Barnstormer/Fox .35. The runs were just not the same.

Generally I use 10 x 6 props with the tip cut square to 9.5" or less. A little unloading and it will run great, especially for slightly heavy airplanes. John D'Ottavio's "Jerseyan" was very heavy at about 57 oz. with a 10 x 6 Top Flite prop square cut to less than 9"!

And of course don't forget the oil content. 28% castor is the norm.
AMA 7544

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2013, 10:43:24 AM »
Hi Dennis - Did it feel like it improved at all?  My thought is that there should have been a noticeable difference in how quickly the engine settled back to a 4 stroke every time the load was reduced.  Next try a muffler with a BIG outlet, or no muffler at all.  Best, Tom

Is this spraybar is necked down to give the original choke area, or the stock PA diameter? Necked down I would expect little change, perhaps a bit richer in level flight and a bit leaner in the maneuvers, with an original PA diameter I would expect it to be generally a little leaner all the time but break less.

Restriction in the exhaust could be inhibiting the power, and the response to changes like the venturi. If the venturi is not the limiting factor then the spraybar won't make much difference.

I still stick with my original comment, I would try more nitro.

Brett

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2013, 12:14:19 PM »
Brett,
The PA Fox style NVA is turned down in the venturi area to about 0.125" and matches the Fox stock NVA.

Tom,
The change is running a little richer but I do think the muffler back pressure is holding heat a little longer once the motor starts to work in the consecutive maneuvers. That's why I think it needs the smaller prop to hold the needed rpm in the 4 cycle and break at the proper point in the maneuver. I think you could get it rich enough on the ground but would not have enough rpm to have enough speed to maneuver with any confidence. Hopefully the weather cooperates and we find out on Saturday.

Best,       Dennis

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2013, 06:53:35 PM »
Brett,
The PA Fox style NVA is turned down in the venturi area to about 0.125" and matches the Fox stock NVA.

Tom,
The change is running a little richer but I do think the muffler back pressure is holding heat a little longer once the motor starts to work in the consecutive maneuvers. That's why I think it needs the smaller prop to hold the needed rpm in the 4 cycle and break at the proper point in the maneuver. I think you could get it rich enough on the ground but would not have enough rpm to have enough speed to maneuver with any confidence. Hopefully the weather cooperates and we find out on Saturday.

Best,       Dennis

There are a bunch of other things that affect this, like the pitch and airfoil of the prop near the tips. For example, we used to adjust breaks by either sharpening or blunting the leading edge near the tip. And a myriad of other things like the nitro. This is also why we stopped running 4-2 break engines the instant there was something else available!  There are all sorts of trick we learned back in the good old days, that are not needed any more.

Brett

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2013, 04:20:49 PM »
Guys,
Seems like it all came down to a thermal load management problem. With the tongue muffler it needs less prop to control temps. I could open all the holes way up but that would not be good at our field. What finally worked was putting it back on the old style Top Flite 9x6 (where I started). This reduced the load and generated less heat. It gave a run that allowed the exhaust sound to be reasonable while still pulling the plane (only 42" span, 34 oz.) with power and a nice 4-2-4 break. The down side is this setup uses a 1/4oz more fuel (due to the slightly higher rpm. It is why I started trying the bigger props). I will need to build a new 3 3/4oz tank or use a 4oz round plastic.

Best,          Dennis

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2013, 07:11:19 PM »
Guys,
A little update after installing the Randy Fox style PA NVA. The new NVA is very reliable and gave good runs on open uniflow and 9 x 6 props with the muffler. I also tested muffler pressure to the uniflow line. This was the surprise as it worked very good. I did some flights on a 10x5 rev-up and a fairly rich run (gave about 5 sec lap, normal would be 4.85). I think I have the motor happy and just need to get the pitch up a bit to pickup the lap time.

Best,          DennisT

Advertise Here
Tags: fox 35  setup 

Advertise Here