News:

• May 28, 2024, 05:58:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Drone (diesel) 1949 Glow Head  (Read 490 times)

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Drone (diesel) 1949 Glow Head
« on: February 02, 2010, 02:41:35 PM »
Guys,

I've posted on a few boards and have not gotten pictures or drawings of the 1949 Red glow head for the Drone diesel. My understanding is it was anodized red. Several suggested that I just take a standard diesel head and have a flat spot mill in the center and tap it for a glow plug. This I have seen but what I would really like to see is pictures of a factory unit from the top and bottom to see if they changed the volume (and thus the compression ratio) for glow use. If someone has one and could post some pictures and a sketch I would appreciate it.

As a side bar I think Leon Shulman is still flying R/C if someone can get in touch with him he could provide the details, that would be great.

Best,          DennisT

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Drone (diesel) 1949 Glow Head
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 06:15:51 PM »
Guys,

OK, it seems there's not much information out there on this glow head design. Does someone have a contact in MECA? Maybe they have some information.

Thanks,                    DennisT

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 02:59:17 PM »
Guys,

Got the heads set up for glow am now working on getting a good seal on the head gasket. Seems the Drone head hold down bolts holes are tapered not flat and as you tighten down the head moves and can distort the cylinder. I plan on making them flat so the bolts don't cause any shifting.

All looks good there is enough meat on the head for a short reach plug or a long with a thick gasket. I did put a little hemi into the bottom of the head to reduce the compression and get a little smoother burn. The hemi is only about 1/16" deep, used a 5/8" round ball mill bit in a drill press, then smoothed it out with sand paper.

Best,          DennisT

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 04:31:41 PM »
Guys,

Success!!!  I finally got the heads set up with two gaskets, a shallow hemi and a full charge on the ignitor and starter. Pull a 12x8 prop and tried to hand crank but it would pop but not run. Just a quick shot with the starter and "It's alive"!!! Will now put it in the Guilded Whistle were I have the diesel Drone and compare performance.

Best,   DennisT

Advertise Here
Tags: glow heads  drone 

Advertise Here