News:

• April 24, 2024, 08:05:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Effects of overheating  (Read 1628 times)

Offline Matt Piatkowski

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Effects of overheating
« on: July 15, 2017, 06:32:44 AM »
Hello,
Learning from my failure using EVO60NX R/C for stunt, I would like to understand what is happening to the glow plug engine components that results in the lack of power, RPM instabilities and burning of the glow plugs elements? The engine in the example below is ABC or AAC.

This is what I have learned from this Forum about muffled engines for stunt:
1. Break the engine properly - the general procedure is well known (http://www.mecoa.com/faq/breakin/breakin_abc.htm) but see 3. below.
2. Never run too lean - run rich with the prop. that loads the engine to run 2-4-2 or 2-2 if the engine's timing and design does not allow to run 2-4-2
    well.
3. Use proper fuel with known composition - good castor is crucial but new ABC engines do not need as much of it as the old ones.
4. Use only long reach hot glow plug and check it frequently.
5. Use good expansion muffler - 4:1 or better 6:1 expansion ratio.
6. Use fuel and air filters - pantyhose on the venturi inlet will restrict the air flow. Use layers of it as simple method to choke the engine to desired RPM
    if you do not want to machine five different venturis and try them all to select the best for the task.
7. Use proper fuel supply system (tank and tubing) and check it frequently for dirt and holes. Uniflow tank is preferred.
8. Mount the engine and the tank in the way that prevents resonance at the operational RPM. Make the engine mount as stiff as possible - R/C style
    nylon "T" mounts are not acceptable for larger engines that I proved to myself. 2024 machined "T" mounts may be acceptable but the firewall
    to which they attach must be very stiff in bending, torsion and bearing. It is much better to use the hard wood crutch to mount the engine and epoxy
    the front of the fuselage using glass or/and carbon cloth with balsa or/and plywood doublers or even triplers reaching behind the wings T.E.
9. Provide good air cooling, especially for the engine's head and mufler.

Now back to the main subject: overheating may cause local boiling of fuel that may cause choking/disruption of the fuel transfer. Overheating will cause excessive expansion of liner and piston resulting in loss of compression. Both phenomena will result in loss of power and accelerated wear of interfacing surfaces.

What else?

Your comments are appreciated.
Thanks,
Matt

"Learning never stops and when it stops you are truly dead"

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
Re: Effects of overheating
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2017, 07:46:41 AM »
Never brake an engine in in the air.

CB
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2017, 08:56:13 AM »
1.  Yes, but read the manufacturer's instructions first.

2.  Few people run engines with 2-4-2 breaks any more.  The break is hard to get right, and takes a lot of fussing.  Most people run in a solid, rich 2, or a deep four-stroke that might "beep" into a 2-stroke at the tops of maneuvers, or might not.

4.  Use the right sized glow plug for the engine.  Little engines need short glow plugs that won't get smacked by the piston; OS heads are made to take OS's medium-reach glow plugs.

5.  Or a pipe

8.  It's not that other mounts are inherently bad -- see Ted Fancher's "Imitation".  It's that the maple beam-style motor mounts get you what you need with the least weight that we've found so far, and weight is important.

I think that if you're overheating so much that you are losing compression or that your fuel is boiling that you've gone well beyond the limits of a good stunt run.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2017, 10:39:15 AM »
  " 2.  Few people run engines with 2-4-2 breaks any more.  The break is hard to get right, and takes a lot of fussing.  Most people run in a solid, rich 2, or a deep four-stroke that might "beep" into a 2-stroke at the tops of maneuvers, or might not. "

Well...maybe... sometimes  ..   er   Every engine/plane I have runs in a  4 cycle, either  4-2-4   or  mostly all 4 cycle,  Most  Every one I couch runs in a 4/2  cycle, MOST  every  ic setup that you will see at the  Nats  is running a  4-2-4  cycle, or a  mostly 4 stroke

Randy

Offline Matt Piatkowski

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2017, 11:39:47 AM »
Guys,
I gave up on this unfortunate Evo60NX R/C but I have another R/C specimen, namely brand new Magnum52XLS and do not want to screw this one too.
How to break it? What fuel? What prop?

I will match the plane size and weight to the safest operational conditions. Say, profile fuselage, 620-640 in^2, 24% airfoil wings and 55 oz. RTF dry RTF weight.
Imitation style? Why not? Scaled up fancherized Twister? Why not? Whatever in this category?Why not?

13x4.5 two blade prop? 12x4.5 3blade prop? 7,800 - 8,900 RPM at launch ?

Questions and more questions but who will give me the definite answer?

Bryan Norton wrote: "After several attempts to get mine (Magnum52XLS Blue Head) running consistently, it would run great about for about five or six laps go dead lean and stay there for the rest of flight. After running that way a couple of flights a couple of club member(Bob Reeves&Joe Gilbert) told me they thought it needed compression taken out of it.They were absolutely correct(nice to have experienced people to listen to).I pulled head off and hemied the head a little. Now it runs like like a big fox 35 has a distinct break to a hard two stroke when nose goes vertical.(I'm running a three blade 12-4.5 prop on my legacy)I flew five flights @five different rpm just to see if it would run that rpm throughout the flight starting @7800 all the way 8900 consistant all five flights!!It pulls that 68oz. legacy with authority! I would recommend the Magnum 52 if you need a big power for a cheaper price".

I can get easily only one type of fuel in Toronto, Canada - Morgan's. I used Omega (pink). What about CoolPower (green, fully synthetic). Everything else I have to import at a premium price from the US.

I can add any amount of SIG castor to both fuels if this makes sense but I must know how much.

Well..?
M

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2017, 12:47:21 PM »
Matt
I am in line for the next gen SV-11 and wanted a low cost turn key engine

Looked at Stalker and eventually let Randy Smith talk me into one of his B&B Magnum 52s  ( half the price of the Stalker I was considering)

he said

I have a lot of Mag 52 and 53s  out there, they run very well as I send them with high compression, use 5% fuel to start, and if your popping glow plugs add a head shim to reduce compression, many are running  these with  18%  synthetic fuel  with either 2 ounces of castor  or an ounce of Aero 1  fuel supplement.  They do not like  heavy oil or heavy castor  fuels, the do great on a  13 x 4.5 or 12.5 x 4.5  prop 2 blades,  3 blade 12 x 4,5  and produce  excellent power, much more than say and old  ST 60 or a new ST 51

He also sold me 13 x 4 and 13 x 5 Pro Zinger props recommending to break in with the 13x4

Patiently awaiting the ARF SV 11 but could not resist bench running the XLS Mag .52....
Mine has the stock muffler....depending on balance, may ask Randy for an alternative muffler (that he has)

Matt...I dunno about Canada shipping but as much as you fuss about with engines...

I might humbly suggest a investment in E-bay Torco Meth and Nitro, and various supplies of Castor/Benol/Techniplate,UCON LB 625, AERO 1 additive---- and start properly blending fuels to what many on SH suggest work well

That and some experimentation is necessary for your typical flying area

Example... I got a good Fox 35 most every body said low N and High oil

started with 5%N and 29% castor
tried some Sig 15%N at 25%C started noticeably easier

Blended up some 10% with 24% 50/50 for another engine and decided to try it in the Fox 35.... SWEET! Starts and restarts easy...and runs a lot cleaner

I do not contest or travel to fly...all local...this ONE blend works just right for me at my field no matter a 65 degree or 93 degree flight

"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2017, 02:59:24 PM »
HELLO

To start, yes you can run cool power  but add  6 ounces to a gallon, and  NO  it does not need, or has to.. have the compression cut out of it, I have setup many of these, they run great on the stock head, with either 1 or 2 head shims
They are not  over compressed as is, and they are not  High compressed compared  with  tons of modern motors.
you will not fly it using 8800  RPMs  with  a 4 to 4.5 pitch prop, it will be closer, if not over  10,000  RPMs

Randy

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2017, 04:11:53 PM »

Example... I got a good Fox 35 most every body said low N and High oil

started with 5%N and 29% castor

As usual "most everybody" was wrong. Going to even 10% has a marked improvement in the starting and a large increase in the power with nearly no ill effects..

tried some Sig 15%N at 25%C started noticeably easier

OK, but watch out for crankshaft failure. 15% is where it seem to go over the edge - 25% and you are definitely living on borrowed time.

Blended up some 10% with 24% 50/50 for another engine and decided to try it in the Fox 35.... SWEET! Starts and restarts easy...and runs a lot cleaner

That will usually run OK with a well-broken-in engine but is on the edge for long-term wear. If you aren't planning on 1000 flights, then, probably OK.

My default fuel for Fox 35s (which may make a re-appearance in the not-too-distant future after a 40-year vacation) is 15% nitro, 29% straight castor.

Again, as in the other threads - what most people "know" about stunt engines, their modification/adjustment, and fuel, is wrong, particularly the guys who consider themselves experts. I am no expert and in fact, I think I now know just enough about stunt engines, after ~50 years of trying to make them work,  to be aware of that fact.

Brett
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 04:48:19 PM by Brett Buck »

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2017, 04:37:30 PM »
  " Blended up some 10% with 24% 50/50 for another engine and decided to try it in the Fox 35.... SWEET! Starts and restarts easy...and runs a lot cleaner  "

Add 5 ounces of castor  to that fuel, and you will have a great fuel for  FOX 35s, OS 30 35 S, Old McCoys , older K&Bs , etc

Randy

PS  I still have 5 or 6 of my older FOX 35s from the early 1970s, they ran on synthetic castor blend back then, They are all in great shape, except for the ones that used all castor, even my 1975 NATs engine I used in the  Smith Nobler is still  in excellent condition, it has maybe 600 flights on it, always used  blended fuel 28% oil , it looks like it has maybe  50 flights on it, still tight rod, NOT burned back from castor plating/gumming,gooooing ,  and  that is a lot of runs on a FOX 35  to look and feel that nice.  I am going to build another Smith Nobler and stick the Fox in it

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2017, 04:41:22 PM »
Ten or 15 years ago, Magnum instructions said (paraphrasing) to break-in the engine with fuel containing "at least 20% castor oil". These days, they say to break-in the engine with fuel containing "at least 20% oil".

This suggests to me that they had to change the instructions because too many people could not obtain fuel that met the older instructions. That is not amazing, but it is amazing that people actually read the instructions! How disgraceful is that!? ;) Steve 

"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Phil Krankowski

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2017, 06:59:01 PM »
In my limited experience overheating causes one of two situations during the run.

an RPM overrun with the engine picking up speed and turning into a high RPM "lean run"

RPM loss and maybe stalling.

Phil

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2017, 01:08:31 PM »
As I learn from Brett, Randy, Marvin Denny, Henry Nelson,  and several others; There are many ways to do things

BUT also there needs to be a appreciation for the different uses of the equipment--- and then try to take all the superb advice, and adapt to YOUR equipment, use, habits, and consider the various conditions...like venue/location and resources, or in some cases the availability of products, or costs yadda yadda

You also must be cogent of the changes, over time, to some sage advice that may NOT be good advice today

Example would be the constant recommendation to add a little (2 to 3 drops/spritzes per gallon) of ArmorAll to solve a foaming fuel issue... I can state categorically that in 2017, if you head out to Auto Zone, and buy a container of that crap you will be disappointed, not get any good anti foam result, and may foul expensive plugs----I do not know when the formula changed, but it did....and most guys with this recommendation have a 4 oz container from 1985 that will last them for three more decades

Back on subject...  sort of... My take away, from a lot of posts, is that each engine series/type/construction is happy with a fairly wide variety of N and oil combinations

Since I deliberately moved on to mostly Bret's/ Dirty Dan's mantra of BBTU...a grand euphemism for "buy it fly it as designed"  This method is on many of my models from RSTs, ARF birds, and a few kits....and right now have a fleet of birds and engine combos that all behave without any fuss at the field

The one bird with the Fox .35 is a purely nostalgia Ringmaster--- no burp plug---and flown only twice a year so I think I may just to sort of take the advice--- I will blend the next quart with a tad more total oil and a bit of Aero 1

While I tend to think, not overly critical with Matt's experience with the Evo 60..... there is plenty of current info about bird size/weight proper prop, proper fuel, and proper muffler without any extremes are needed --- info enough to play airplane without too much frustration

I can appreciate where there are some older engines...like the Fox 35....where max size in a minimal case ....that demand a lot of OIL, not so much for lube, but to help shed heat

I guess bottom line is... we are exceeding fortunate to have this forum and folks who have a LOT of "been there done that experience"

At 62 and deteriorating rapidly I have a finite range of playing model airplane... 100% of my flying is locally just for giggles

These guys have helped immensely with lowering my frustration level, no need to learn the hard way, and maximize my flight line experience...and for that I am ever indebted to this resource

Randy it is hot enough here to consider it a new building/ assembly season... the RS B&B Magnum .52 is good to go...send me a very good ARF SV 11 soon please

I know, I know, you are busy at the Nats making your well deserved fortune!!!     grin

Matt...ever so sorry to bloviate in your good thread...

I do NOT have a Evo 60 but do have 2 of the Evo 36s...each one set up per hints from this site...and I expect each to out live me, easily

Prop/ fuel recommendations, and the expert advice from Lee's machine and his products worked for me

Bloviating Fred... who, to date has not yet experienced a "run away" engine since 2012.... Of course back in 1972 I had an Enya .35 5224 on Missile Mist, Rev Up 8x8, 34 oz Mongoose, missed the needle, unloaded and went to high scream...ran out with what should have been a cooked engine....still have it....Still runs on a Mongoose .....My dad's McCoy .35 that did the same on a Ringmaster (( I still have the engine)) free wheels with zero compression

"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here