News:

• April 30, 2024, 03:59:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Black Hawk Demon Fuel Tank  (Read 1061 times)

Offline Clifton Gregory

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ensign
Black Hawk Demon Fuel Tank
« on: May 10, 2010, 03:16:27 AM »
I was wondering what's the best tank to use in the Demom Combat Wing that will fit properly. I will be running a Super Tigre or Fox 35.

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
Re: Black Hawk Demon Fuel Tank
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 06:20:04 AM »
A pacifier or bladder would be you best bet.

The pacifier pod will not fit smoothly into the wing, but will protrude above and below it.  This rig has won many national and world championships, despite the apparent issue of drag.

The surgical tubing bladder fits into the model better and will look more streamlined.  However, the very high pressure makes this system tricky to handle and even top level competators often favor the lower pressure of a pacifier, despite the big bulge.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 06:39:24 AM by Paul Smith »
Paul Smith

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 10:11:21 AM »
If you have ever built the original VooDoo there was a diagram of the metal tank that was in use at the time.  Just a pickup line and overflow.  The pressure line went to the overflow if you used pressure.  I seen a lot of them flown on suction many times with Greenhead K&B, Johnson Sport or Fox Rocket. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Clifton Gregory

• Ensign
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 02:13:28 AM »
I'm going with a metal tank, I have Veco tanks NIB but when I shake each and ever one some black stuff that looks like pepper comes out of the tubes. All the Perfect tanks I have I don't have this problem with that. Of course the plans call for a Veco Bellcrank & Tank. So can anyone tell me the correct metal tank to use in this kit, thanks.

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010, 04:32:18 PM »
These things were usually flown with pacifiers or bladders, as Paul said.   The tanks that people used before bladders universally took over were the Veco T-21 series.  Whenever anybody uses a metal tank, he first disassembles it to clean it out, puts the plumbing in the right places, and replaces brass tubing with copper. 
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • Me and my Chief Engineer
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2010, 01:28:40 AM »
A good combat plane with a good engine running suction will starve the engine at every turn...and they're usually turning. Hence the pressure rigs, internal or external.
--Ray 
Roseville MN (St. Paul suburb, Arctic Circle)
AMA902472

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2010, 05:53:23 AM »
        I just recently built the Black Hawk Demon. I was able to make a bladder compartment that fit within the wing. I made mine fit between the spars and it utilized the front portion of the leading edge. Paul recommended to make the bladder compartment stick up and out of the model. I highly recommend this as well. I used a Russian .15 combat engine to power mine. This allowed for a smaller bladder which unlike yourself will be using a larger engine. My bladder tube was made out of a paper towel tube using the front portion of the ribs as end caps. I made this go under the spars which was a bad idea. I overfilled it one day and the pressure broke the glue joints on the spars. This was easily fixable but lessons learned. This was a neat plane to build due to its simplicity and mine flies pretty fast. Ken

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2010, 08:03:50 AM »
A bladder or pacifier always needs to be a loose fit within its compartment.

Otherwise the fuel cell will be distorted at the first part of the run creating FALSE PRESSURE.  The false pressure subsides when some of the fuel is consumed, then the pressure drops and the engine goes over lean.

One final repitition of an ongoing theme:

If you don't know anything about crankcase pressure, or bladders, or pacifiers, you are better off learning how to run a pacifier.  That's the shortest path to success. 
A failed hard tank can ruin your whole plane.  A failed pacifier is easily replaced.
Paul Smith

Offline Greg McCoy

• Commander
  • flying tiger B24 gunnery school patch Laredo
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2010, 08:49:12 AM »
A vienna sausage can may fit for a pacifier pod. Fill the opening with an epoxy coated balsa disk, make a hole in the side for the pacifier.
AMA 77370

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2010, 09:54:29 AM »
Here is the tank I made for the little Sneeker.  There are only two lines.  The vent/pressure line and fuel pick up.  In the past the fuel pickup was on the bottom of the tank in  the bigger planes.  It is not uni-flo either.  The tnk is thin enough to fit between the spars. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Dwayne

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2010, 08:09:12 PM »
Hi Clifton
Take the measurements of the fuel compartment then go to www.brodak.com and look for the appropriate size tank, they have lots of tanks I'm sure you can find the size you need.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here