News:

• April 30, 2024, 08:05:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Super Pow Wow  (Read 2942 times)

Offline Bill Barber

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Super Pow Wow
« on: November 05, 2009, 02:53:00 PM »
    In  a trade I just pick up a Control Line Classic  Super Pow Wow  kit . Very handsome plane but is this model classic legal ?
   Cheers, Bill
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 04:08:02 PM by Bill Barber »
AMA 325076

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
Re: Super Pow Wow
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 05:25:07 PM »
Tony Drago may chime in here as he was Mr. Control Line Classics before the line was taken over by Brodak. The Pow-Wow was a unique kit in that the plans showed how to make the original classic legal Pow-Wow and also how to modify it into the Super Pow-Wow which is not classic legal.  Both fly well.  I believe the Super Pow-Wow eventually morphed into the Brodak "Accentor" and its skinny brother the "Tanager".  8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Bill Barber

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 08:15:02 PM »
   Thanks Pete for the info ,  not classic legal . Still gonna build it  .
   Bill
AMA 325076

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2009, 07:43:57 PM »
Technically, there is no such thing as an illegal Classic, because there are no provisions in the rules to disqualify any model for anything. So, modifications are ok. There is a bit of peer pressure brought to bear on pipes and radical mods, but it's really up to the builder what he/she wants. I've never seen any sort of complaints about any model. It's supposed to be a fun event, ya know!  y1 Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2009, 09:40:04 PM »
Technically, there is no such thing as an illegal Classic, because there are no provisions in the rules to disqualify any model for anything. So, modifications are ok. There is a bit of peer pressure brought to bear on pipes and radical mods, but it's really up to the builder what he/she wants. I've never seen any sort of complaints about any model. It's supposed to be a fun event, ya know!  y1 Steve

A strong and misleading interpretation of the PAMPA rules for Classic Stunt.

"Technically", the Classic Stunt rules state that "The purpose of the event is to encourage the construction and flying of control line stunt models designed, published or kitted prior to the year 1970.   Any design may be entered, provided the contestant has convicing evidence of the design's compliance.  It is expected that contestants will comply with the spirit of the event and enter only qualifying models ..."

Yes, there is "peer pressure" to maintain compliance with the "purpose of the event".  If there has not been any "complaints about any model", then it is  a measure of the self policing that is done by modelers to recognize and honor the "purpose of the event".

Keith

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2009, 10:23:09 PM »
Well, here's the current Classic Rules, as downloaded a minute or two ago from the PAMPA website. Where does it say the CD/ED can disqualify anything entered in Classic? You gotta to click on the link to open them.  

I don't know anything about the "Super" Pow Wow. What sort of modifications are we talking about? But I've heard horror stories about people driving clear across the country to VSC and had their entry refused because their model was a D-Tube and shouldn't have been, or I-Beamer and shouldn't have been. How about "warts" on the outboard flaps? Oh, My! Change the wing offset a bit? How about putting a much bigger engine in, or even going to those pesky electrons for motivation?

The rules clearly suggest that the Judges ask the entrant what modifications were made. Seems they are expecting modifications to be made, not trying to prevent modifications from being made, like the OTS rules. Over there on the main forum, there's a post about getting a foam wing for the Tom Warden "Continental". An I-beamer. Yes, there was a D-box version, the Minado, but by all accounts, it seems to be post '70. Yet, someone seems willing to sell a "Lost Foam" setup for the model. I'd like to know how you'd justify allowing that, since it probably couldn't pass inspection as an I-Beam wing.  

Or, maybe it just depends on "WHO"? THAT sort of nonsense is what the rules should prevent, IMO.  D>K Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2009, 12:54:03 AM »
Steve, I don't think they're that picky at VSC. I've seen slightly modified classics flying there. I've even seen the non classic Sig Chipmunk entered in Classic and nobody said a thing. Pete Cunha entered a beautiful Sheeks Ryan SC last year built with a C-tube wing instead of the original I beam type. That was perfectly legal because he didn't change a thing other than construction method.
However, I think the CD should DQ models that have been enlarged, stretched, had airfoil changed, ect. That's just not keeping the spirit of the event to make those kind of changes.

Oh,the Continental is not an I beamer. It was designed as a C-tube.
-Clint-

AMA 559593
Finding new and innovated ways to screw up the pattern since 1993

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2009, 08:18:54 AM »
Specifically, the Super Pow-Wow has stretched "modern" moments. In most people's minds that would preclude it from Classic competition as it gives the Super a distinct aerodymanic advantage over the standard Pow-Wow. As for my Sheek's Ryan SC - same airfoil, same moments, different construction method, and...Jack liked it!  ;D

Added for the record: The Sheeks Ryan is not a true I-Beamer. It uses full sized ribs threaded onto a center spar, not thin riblets. I actually tried to build it per plans but about 1/2 way through it was evident that the magic wasn't working. It was either abandon the project or change the construction technique to one I was more familier with. After much deliberation I built it as a C-tube, knowing that some may object but wanting to bring this seldom-modeled design to life as a tribute to Mr. Sheeks and in the spirit of VSC. 8)

« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 04:47:19 PM by Pete Cunha »
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2009, 03:15:41 PM »
Clint's right about the Continental being the C/D-tube and the Mindado being the I-beamer. Brain fade.

I have heard of several who had their Classic entries rejected by VSC management for changing from I-beam to C-tube (or D-Tube) construction, so I wouldn't recommend it. Lengthening the TMA, or enlarging the horizontal tail, again, don't. What about wing offset? How big a deal is that in the grand scheme of things? The Pow Wow could fly pretty well, except for that asymmetry.

I'm still concerned about everybody getting the same "turn of the cards" when it comes to how the rules are enforced. It is most likely to happen when the rules are not very specific, or are badly written.  H^^ Steve

Offline L0U CRANE

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2009, 03:19:29 PM »
Steve, to your Post #5...

May I gently offer a thought? The wording which says, in effect, any design may be entered provided the contestant has convincing evidence of the design's compliance, indicates that a design that does not comply may not be entered in the contest.

Yes, that's not a DQ, which is explicit disqualification of a model entered in an event, nulling any scores and a barring flying it (?again) in the event, on the day.  The wording cited by Keith, and which you attached to your post, indicates that a model which does not comply with the intent of the Classic event, should not be allowed to enter, in the first place... If ineligibility is declared after registration, the contestant's event entry fee should be returned, since the model was not eligible to enter the event. And if any scores already had been recorded and/or posted, they do not count in determining event placing.

Practical considerations: it is theoretically a CD or ED function to intercept ineligible models before entry, but it don't always happen. If a model is "close" and "in the spirit" of eligible Classic models, acceptance is a judgment call. With the 10g pull procedure added to in-processing, perhaps that would be an opportunity for sharp officials to ask an entrant...

Since contests are for the contestants, not the organizers, a factor to be considered is how the rest of the entry in the event feels about an ineligible, or dubiously eligible model, being allowed. And, there, too, it is up to the contestants to speak up and have the officials consider what troubles them about a given model.

(Too many of us are reluctant to gripe to the officials who CAN deal with a matter; we'd rather dis the management behind their backs...  ??? )

But, basically, Classic is for enjoyment, as spelled out in the intro to the rules. And as several mentioned, we have a reasonably effective level of peer pressure to help us keep close to the intent. The authenticity rules may or may not be in widespread use, but they "sort-of establish" an approach to up-grading a score for a more "authentically" built, powered and presented Classic model. Gross updates win fewer points...
\BEST\LOU

Offline Richard Fleming

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2009, 07:03:20 PM »
I had earlier mentioned to Mike K. how nice the CLC kits were. B.L.C. (before lazer cut!)  ;D I used to have the Super Pow Wow kit, as I recall it two different fuse sections to built classic legal or extended tail moments. That kit had some serious wood in it! Hang on to it!
AMA 83080
AHRMA 9827

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2009, 09:44:05 PM »
OK lets turn it around a little - when was the Super Pow Wow designed and when will it fit Nos 30?  Expecation is that contest organizwers will be running Classic & Nos 30 togther with separate awards - Super Pow Wow could end up the same place after all.
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2009, 09:58:50 AM »
I will say this,  any event that has rules should be followed as to the rules.  It should not be left up to the organizer to verify that each entry is legal or not unless someone files a protest.  The protest is up to the entrants as to file one or not.  It is up to the entrant to prove his/her entry is legal if asked.  If we see an entry that should not be it is up to the other entrants to raise the question with a protest either before contest starts or during the contest, not after all the awards are distributed.  I remember pictures of an All American Senior in which the landing gear was not in the original location according to plans.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Bill Barber

• Commander
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2009, 11:18:54 AM »
   Richard is right , the wood in the CLC Super Pow Wow kit is excellent . Just need to finish some other projects first.
     Bill
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 06:22:09 PM by Bill Barber »
AMA 325076

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2009, 10:34:37 PM »
FWIW, IMO, a considerably modified Classic design (like the Super Pow Wow) would have to be DQ'd under the Sportsmanship rules (General Rules, I think). Yes, I would do that, if needed.

It seems to me that we need to determine some kind of balance between having fun and being too anal about the authentic bit. Would we rather see everybody flying one or two designs in order to be fairly competitive (like OTS), or would we rather let folks reduce wing offset to make the Pow Wow fly decently enough to get folks to build it (and many others)? I would rather see a lot of cool old designs (slightly tweeked) than see everybody flying the 4 best designs in 100% authentic form.

Toward that end, the current rules work pretty well, but it might also be nice to know what you can do and can't do, before you do it and find out you just built a sport model when you really wanted a contest model.  :! Steve

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here