News:

• May 17, 2024, 12:38:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Saturn I/Beam  (Read 1578 times)

Offline EddyR

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Saturn I/Beam
« on: October 05, 2009, 06:35:04 PM »
Here is a I beam you never see. It is my 10 year old copy of Don Ogren's Saturn that he won Testors Best Appearance Model at the 1957 Nats. My model is now 10 years old. I had a DS.50 in it for a few years then switched to a ST/.40 then when ABC parts for the ST/46 were being made I did all the testing of the first ABC ST/46 in it. I have no idea how many flights are on it but it is over 400. The plane never turned tight outside and nothing is adjustable on it so I lived with it and even won a contest with it. Two month's ago I pulled the .46 out of it and closed up all the exhaust holes and mounted one of my Rustler/40's in it. I cut into the bottom of the elevator and moved it down a small amount and removed 2 oz of tail weight. It is now flying the best that it ever has. If you are looking for a I beam seldom built it was a construction article in 1999 or 2000 Pampa magazine.
Ed
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
Re: Saturn I/Beam
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 07:10:28 PM »
Reminds me of the Stratmoor Detroit stunter.  Looks good.

Matt Colan

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 09:27:52 PM »
Matt and Jim    The Saturn is the plane that the Strathmoor was copied from. Roland bought a wrecked Saturn and modified it to be the Detroit Stunter. It dates back to 1952-53.
Ed

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 06:52:58 PM »
Matt and Jim    The Saturn is the plane that the Strathmoor was copied from. Roland bought a wrecked Saturn and modified it to be the Detroit Stunter. It dates back to 1952-53.
Ed

Ed:
Right story but opposite what you said.  Rollie SOLD a damaged Detroiter to Fred Randall, he and Charles Lickletter(?) repaired it, flew it, then carefully disassembled it and documented it (destroying it in the process) then they duplicated it as the Saturn.  This info from Fred Carnes' excellent series on the history of the Strathmoor I-Beamers.
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline L0U CRANE

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2009, 04:58:36 PM »
...and unless I'm mistaken, there was some indication in the MAN article that the CLUB was the "Strathmoore (something)." The model was referred to as the Strathmoore stunter.. ye takes yr choice - did RMcD's model have an individual name? ...or just the Club billboard?

The fin, rudder and upper aft fuse apparently were popular in the club. Look what they started (or publicized and legitimatized...)
\BEST\LOU

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2009, 05:44:10 PM »
...and unless I'm mistaken, there was some indication in the MAN article that the CLUB was the "Strathmoore (something)." The model was referred to as the Strathmoore stunter.. ye takes yr choice - did RMcD's model have an individual name? ...or just the Club billboard?

The fin, rudder and upper aft fuse apparently were popular in the club. Look what they started (or publicized and legitimatized...)

The Strathmoor Model Club.  The way I understand it Rollie used the logo off the club jackets as his guide.  Most of the Strathmoor club airplanes had names: Atom, Globe, various planets, etc, but I guess Rollie's was "name-challenged"  They were variously called "Strathmoor's" or "Detroiters" because of where he lived.  Later the trike gear version of the (last?) iteration of the design was published as the Challenger.
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2009, 10:27:50 AM »
Here is Don with his original 1957 Saturn and my exact copy except for gear location. By 1960 most of the I/Beam's had the gear switched to the wing. When I first built the model it was painted with the yellow paint theme. It became badly fuel soaked so I did a rebuild so I could continue to use it for motor testing. The two models are identical but the paint makes them look different. Don always refered to these two models as "Detroiters"
Ed

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2009, 07:03:15 PM »
Looks like all of those boys were fond of Hal DeBolt's empennage shapes!
Chris...

Offline don boka

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2009, 09:36:26 AM »
Hey Dennis!!!
You have it right, the design and wing (Dailey wing) go back to the late forties with Bob Dailey and Sam Dehelean from the Detroit area. Some early versions, Arts' "Globe" and Jim Ebejers "Venus" were "C" Tube wings  and about three pounds. These were both flown in the Plymouth Internats and as I recall Art won Jr. and Jim was second in senior. The club which still exists today is called the Strathmoor MAC and the meetings were held in a building on a Northwest Detroit street named Strathmoor!!! The late Rolland MacDonald (Bob's dad) was one of the early users of the Dailey wing and did pass on the structure to other serious club members such as Rod Pharis, Jim and Tom Ebejer, Ray Marlo and a few friends outside of their club.
Fred Carnes wrote a very excellent series about ten years ago for Flying Models. Check it out!!!!

Don Boka.

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2009, 03:16:55 PM »
That's really pretty, Ed.  Nice colors.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Advertise Here
Tags: