News:

• April 27, 2024, 06:14:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Midwest Magician - classic mods  (Read 10017 times)

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Midwest Magician - classic mods
« on: July 16, 2013, 08:24:18 AM »
Guys,
I was looking through an issue of Control Line World last night that featured a Bio of Jim Silhavy. In it Jim discussed the Magician and indicated that once Midwest took over the production of the kit they made changes that included the 48" span and a "sheeted  leading edge". Has anyone seen one of the sheeted versions of the Midwest Magician? Maybe there were proto types built this way that didn't make it into the production kit. Since Jim said it is this a classic legal mod to the Magician?

Best,          DennisT

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
Re: Midwest Magician - classic mods
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 11:01:15 AM »
Ever since my first Magician, of about 9,  back in the late 60's, I have never, ever, seen nor heard of a sheeted leading edge on one.  I think that may have been a mis-statement. Once printed, it is hard to refute though. My first one was a Technical Models kit, they sold out to Midwest. They, not Midwest, made the changes to the fuselage and wing. I think they made it better looking than the original version, which Umland and now Brodak produces.  H^^

I don't know Ty, The first thing that Midwest did was get rid of the half ribs to save money so they could lengthen the wing. The model really does need the half ribs and I think a big thank you is due Walt for including them when he did the kit. As to the smaller wingspan that is the correct original design by Mr Silhavey and flies as well as the enlarged version. I've wondered why John Brodak didn't make the larger one. Don't think that it was over permission to kit it as that had been granted. Perhaps because it was/is unique.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 11:14:36 AM »
I don't know Ty, The first thing that Midwest did was get rid of the half ribs to save money so they could lengthen the wing. The model really does need the half ribs and I think a big thank you is due Walt for including them when he did the kit. As to the smaller wingspan that is the correct original design by Mr Silhavey and flies as well as the enlarged version. I've wondered why John Brodak didn't make the larger one. Don't think that it was over permission to kit it as that had been granted. Perhaps because it was/is unique.

Hi Dennis,

I believe you are on track with the "unique" angle as to why John kitted "The Original".   Over the years I have seen many Midwest Magicians, but never the "Original" until Walter's kits came out.  We've had a couple Midwest Magicians, both kit stock and some mods.  If I could get the time, and one of John's kits,  I'd like to build one!

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 09:43:20 PM »
Is the Magician 35 with the half ribs classic legal? What mods are allowed? Also can you increase the thickness of the stab/elevator to 3/16"? How about moving the stab/elevator back a couple inches? Seems like many Magicians were built with these mods back in the day?

Best,        DennisT

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2013, 08:10:40 PM »
Ty,
The attraction for the Magician is that you could fly Profile, Classic, N30, and PA with one ship if one chooses. There are not many profiles that meet this, the Magician can be competitive (see some of Jim Kraft's stats with the Magician). Sometime we travel to contests with a few guys and storage space is important so you need to plan ahead. If you can find some pictures of those Magicians it would be interesting to see how the Magician morphs.

Best,   DennisT

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2013, 09:49:37 PM »
I like Magicians and the idea is a  good one however I would choose a design that (arguably) would be more competitive - say a profile "Oriental". Legal for all the events you mentioned. Just sayin'. 8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2013, 06:29:44 PM »
Ty,
Sounds like you built it to light. I assume your on 60' lines at around 4.9 sec lap time. An interesting experiment would be to add a couple oz of clay at the CG and see it if it gets better. Also check that the stab/tail is not twisting, that will drive you nuts cause it kinda goes were the air pushes it including prop turbulence.

BB,
One other thing in my choose was wanting to use the Fox 35. I like this motor cause I got a bunch of them and I can make then run. But for me that limits the ship to 38 oz max and < 50" span (I really like about 46", but with 2 1/2 wing tips makes it ok).

Best,         DennisT

Offline Guy B Jr

• 2016 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2013, 11:45:12 PM »
Didn't the GSM kit of the Magician have sheeted leading edges?
Guy Blankinship

Offline Guy B Jr

• 2016 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2013, 11:10:16 PM »
I believe that GSM stood for Golden State Models.
Guy Blankinship

Offline Guy B Jr

• 2016 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2013, 11:24:25 PM »
I just pulled out one of my GSM Magician kits and checked the plans.
They show a sheeted leading edge and fully operating flaps.
Guy Blankinship

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2013, 08:19:04 PM »
Does anyone know anyone from GSM did they use a prototype of the Midwest Magician that might used the sheeted leading edge? Would be nice to know if they had a bases for the difference in the design? For classic you only have to show that a model was designed or built for it to be legal. So if there were some pre-production models that Midwest built with LE sheeting before finalizing the kit it would be legal.

Best,          DennisT 

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2013, 10:43:04 PM »
The short answer is no, the GSM sheeted LE edge Magician was not a copy of a prototype Miidwest Magician. It was actually the opposite, an effort to make the GSM (known as AJ's Free Flight Service at the time) different from the Midwest Magician for legal reasons. This was in the 80's and Midwest was stil making C/L models so it made sense at the time. I was told this by someone (no longer with us) who was closely associated with GSM. 8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Doug Burright

• Commander
  • Legacy, Brodak kit
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2013, 05:19:29 PM »
I built a Magician from plans, and made some modifications to it-to "jazz it up" a little. I changed the fuselage shape and fin, wing and tail tips, full-span flaps, moved the horizontal stab aft 2 inches, trike landing gear, and nose ribs between each of the original ribs. It seems to fly well, and doesn't bounce on landing. And, it looks like a completely different airplane. I hope no one is offended by my changes. Let's see if a picture will stick...
I will build it. It's gonna be really difficult to find me with an ARF. I know every bit of my airplane!

Offline Dan Bregar

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Field Marshall
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2013, 09:34:21 AM »
Doug

Great job !  I like it.  Bet it will fly good, if it's not too heavy.  :)
AMA 33676

Offline John Sunderland

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2013, 08:10:06 PM »
Is the Magician 35 with the half ribs classic legal? What mods are allowed? Also can you increase the thickness of the stab/elevator to 3/16"? How about moving the stab/elevator back a couple inches? Seems like many Magicians were built with these mods back in the day?

Best,        DennisT

I flew a Magician a few years back and spoke with Jim at some contest and asked him about all the mods I made to the Midwest version and he said the half ribs I used and the half panel I added to the outboard wing were what he would have recommended and used. He agreed that the two inch assymetry as p[er the plans was excessive. Straight from the designers mouth. I mounted the gear straight down rather that raked forward for pavement which is where I flew mine most, and it would land on the mains as pretty as a picture every time. I also glued 1/32 ply over the joiner wire at the elevator for stiffness. My stab 3/16 and 1/8" elevators. I used a 4" bellcrank. I brought home lots of hardware with that little airplane with no coupled flaps and you might be surprised at some of the folks I beat with it too! Also, the Brodak 40 was a great marriage to that airframe. I wish i still had it and I may build another.

Offline Doug Burright

• Commander
  • Legacy, Brodak kit
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2013, 11:41:59 PM »
Yeah, dang! I didn't start crawling until autumn of 1963, so... there was no way for me to do that. Ha ha!
 It does seem to fly well, but am told it may be "hinging". That's a whole new issue for me. I don't think I fly well enough for that to be an issue for me, though, and I'm not certain if that means it is yawing excessively at the lead-outs, or pitching "funny", when I maneuver. More flight-time when the weather gets decent may provide more information. Thanks guys!
I will build it. It's gonna be really difficult to find me with an ARF. I know every bit of my airplane!

Offline Dan Bregar

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Field Marshall
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2014, 05:08:04 PM »
Hi Doug

You may end up having to move the lead-outs forward some.  I had to on mine, although I got away with just moving the rear one only.  :)  May depend on which plan version you built.

Dan
AMA 33676

Advertise Here

Advertise Here