News:

• April 27, 2024, 08:27:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 6-engine pusher plane  (Read 6148 times)

Rick_Huff

• Trade Count: (0)
6-engine pusher plane
« on: March 09, 2014, 02:11:49 PM »
Does anyone remember anything about a 6-engine pusher plane (engines mounted on the back of the wing) flown (briefly) in Wisconsin back in the late 50's or early 60's?  My brother's Pastor mentioned this plane in his sermon last Sunday and he asked me if I could find out anything about it.
Thanks,
Rick 

Offline John Kelly

• Commander
Re: 6-engine pusher plane
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2014, 04:24:28 PM »
... 1960 MIRROR MEET
AMA 11416

Rick_Huff

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2014, 06:27:34 PM »
Thanks,
I thought it might have been a B36, but I didn't know there was a kit of it.  Did the kit fly well?  Apparently, this particular model only survived a 1/4 of a lap.
Rick

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2014, 08:31:14 PM »
Many of those Japanese scale kits (Aristocraft of whatever) were built from something called Cherrywood - heavier than balsa but a lot smoother (and heavier).  I once had one of their Curtiss C-46 kits (62" span), which I'd planned to power with a pair of K&B .19 Green heads - but gave it away instead.  Never heard what became of it.
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2014, 08:41:47 PM »
I built quite a few of those kits. Names changed but I had KYO, TMHK, Eureka, Mauritaka, They weren't great kits and were really sparse. They had nice spun cowls, the shock absorbing gear was not the best, The wheels looked good but I had them come off the rim often and they never gave you enough sheeting, not that you really wanted to sheet it as it would be too weak. I strip planked the fuselages and added more stringers to stiffen the framework. the big ones required really beefy control systems and they pulled like a team of mules. I weighed about 155 lbs at that time. The smaller 40 sized warbirds were great though and I probably liked the Bearcat best. Would I want one now, no! not even to put on the shelf. Like many things in the hobby they have a reputation far in excess of their real worth.

Online wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2014, 11:21:07 PM »

This B-36 hangs above the lobby exit/entrance in the FBO at the Fairmont, MN airport...
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Rick_Huff

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2014, 09:15:38 AM »
Even if it didn't fly well, its a pretty cool looking C/L model.  Thanks for the pics
Rick

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2014, 09:43:46 AM »
Even if it didn't fly well, its a pretty cool looking C/L model.  Thanks for the pics
Rick

I guess one needs to explain what is meant by it not flying well.  Yes, these Eureka kits or whatever other names they were sold as were large.  There was a lot of heavy wood.  But the material was there to build a model that was a good representation of the full size model.  I have seen several of these that would be competitive, regarding appearance, in any major scale competition.  It required skill to build such a model. Or as with any kit/design, the thing could be totally butchered.  Now as to flying - they would be heavy.  By the time you put extra engines on a model, the weight goes up.  About all that could be expected is to fly level.  But that is sort of what four or six engine aircraft do.  With enough power and speed, they could get some points for the high flight option.  Details could be added to these for operating flaps, throttle control, bomb drop, rotating turrets, retract gear and/or whatever so they can score well for flight points.  In that sense, they can fly adequately, as in fly good enough to do well in scale competition.  Now, as to ease of flying, they are a handful.  These are not meant for the casual flyer.  I have seen a four engine model drag its pilot across the paved circle with both feet planted on the pavement.  The solution was to wear a leather shoulder halter so a helper could restrain the pilot in the center of the circle.  It flew quite well.

Keith

Offline rustler

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2014, 02:18:39 PM »
  They are for the most part like a three legged dog, not much use but great for conversation. LL~

Be careful what you say! There is currently a thread on the Brit. Barton Forum, about a guy whose dog has just had a front leg amputated to save its life. He couldn't bear to say goodbye to his dog. The latest U-Toobs show it running around, sniffing here and there, like a good'un! I would never have believed it. y1
Ian Russell.
[I can remember the schedule o.k., the problem is remembering what was the last manoeuvre I just flew!].

Offline tom brightbill

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2014, 07:21:48 PM »
Here's one, just $850. 
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2121201

And yes, our three legged Bernese was an amazing dog. :-\
AMA 34849

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2014, 07:56:57 PM »
Go find the video of the dog that was born without front legs.   He is an inspiration to handicapped people.   And yes the Eureka kits did build heavy and they would fly like they were designed to.   Take off,  level flight, a few mechanical options and landing.   I remember the late Gene Dunham who was the hot shot in the KC area would kick off his shoes to fly his C-47.   No throttles and just enough fuel to get the laps in.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2014, 08:14:35 AM »
Well Ty, you know these young whipper snappers.  Remember that one.   I worked with a lady who's pup had rear legs removed because they had been crush.   She made a little cart for his rear end and talk about a dog that could move.  He was very lovable also.     Now for another for the young whipper snappers,  "That finish is as slick as snot on a door knob". VD~
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline rustler

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2014, 04:13:00 PM »
if anyone takes offense to a silly saying, tough. S?P

No worries Ty. I don't think anyone took offense.  :)
Ian Russell.
[I can remember the schedule o.k., the problem is remembering what was the last manoeuvre I just flew!].

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2014, 01:18:02 PM »
I'm offended, and pizzed-off, Ty. You a bad man!  LL~ Steve

PS: My barber (she) had a Cocker Spaniel that lost control of his rear legs (not uncommon, apparently) and she got a cart for him. He was very happy to scoot around using his front legs, but it was very tiring for him. When time came (past due, actually), she got her ex-husband to take the pooch to the Veterinarian...and it crapped on his truck's seat. How perfect is that?
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Bill Morell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2014, 03:54:02 AM »
In a MAN magazine from back in the 70's there is a pic of a guy flying a 6 engine bomber at the Nats. Think his name was Ken Drummend or something like that. I think he got the scale achievement award.
Bill Morell
It wasn't that you could and others couldn't, its that you did and others didn't.
Vietnam 72-73
  Better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it.

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2014, 12:21:40 PM »
In a MAN magazine from back in the 70's there is a pic of a guy flying a 6 engine bomber at the Nats. Think his name was Ken Drummend or something like that. I think he got the scale achievement award.

His picture with that RC B-36 is on the cover of the Feb 72 issue of Model Airplane News.  There was a B-36 that won CL scale at a Nats in the early 60's that was from the Japanese kit -Eureka or whatever.  Got a lot of points for getting extra points for each engine more than one.  The rule was subsequently changed so only points were awarded for multi-engine models.  There was also a small B-36 (like .049's) entered in an earlier Nats (early 50's ?) by a member of the USAF Nats team, Bryant Thompson.  (Bryant later served as the Nats CL event director at many Nats in the 70's and beyond - before Bev Wiesnewski.)

Keith

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2014, 07:34:29 PM »
The 'daddy' of all CL B-36 models was that of USAF Capt. Richard Moorhead.  His 90" span version, powered by six K&B .19s and four Jetex 150s, won CL Scale at the '56 Nats with a score of 390.  (Ref.: pages 32-33, 1957 Air Trails Model Annual.

Online wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2014, 08:32:29 PM »
The 'daddy' of all CL B-36 models was that of USAF Capt. Richard Moorhead.  His 90" span version, powered by six K&B .19s and four Jetex 150s, won CL Scale at the '56 Nats with a score of 390.  (Ref.: pages 32-33, 1957 Air Trails Model Annual.

Those were the days! y1  Wish I woulda been there... :(

Wayne Willey

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2014, 09:40:12 PM »
Those were the days! y1  Wish I woulda been there... :(
===============================================

Wish you could've seen those days, Wayne!  It was all balsa, silk or tissue, dope and BUILDING.  All CL and FF events were fully staffed with Juniors and Seniors.....Stunt, Combat, Carrier and Speed.  (Yes, all Speed events had Juniors flying.)  The Scale entries were lodged in a "Scale Cage" during the Navy Nats.  People actually BUILT their models rather than....oh, don't get me started!

Ya' shoulda' been there.  Ya' coulda' been a contendah!

Sad to see what it's become today.  Foam & electric toys...."fun flys"....BAH!

Offline Marvin Denny

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2014, 07:54:57 AM »
  I'm with you Mike---BAH  HUMBUG.
  I have the plans for the Eureka B-36  111 1/2 inch.  I also have a sheet of drawings of all the parts.

bigiron
marvin Denny  AMA  499

Offline Mike Scholtes

• Admiral
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2014, 11:34:57 PM »
There is a B-36 stunter (yeah, stunter) in the late stages of constuction at a secret location in California. IC powered. Builder is well known to all of you who watch front-row models at the Nats.

Rick_Huff

« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2014, 07:20:45 AM »
I'd LOVE to see that, keep us informed!
Rick

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2014, 09:31:39 AM »
I vaguely remember that one.   Is he being like someone else I know,  a little slow in building.   LL~ LL~
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Online wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2014, 09:52:20 PM »
There is a B-36 stunter (yeah, stunter) in the late stages of constuction at a secret location in California. IC powered. Builder is well known to all of you who watch front-row models at the Nats.

OH MAN!!! I hope we get to see this one finished, the builder might just be my future all time C/L hero! #^

Wayne Willey

Offline Mike Scholtes

• Admiral
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2014, 10:24:36 PM »
That B-36 stunter has six IC engines, in pusher configuration. I saw the interior of the wing structure during construction and it was so complicated that I honestly was not sure what I was looking at. This may be the year it flies.

Online wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2014, 11:31:27 PM »
That B-36 stunter has six IC engines, in pusher configuration. I saw the interior of the wing structure during construction and it was so complicated that I honestly was not sure what I was looking at. This may be the year it flies.

What kind of wingspan are we talking?

Wayne Willey

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here