News:

• April 26, 2024, 11:52:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Carrier set-up? Flaps and throttle?  (Read 999 times)

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
Carrier set-up? Flaps and throttle?
« on: October 17, 2010, 05:29:24 PM »
Ok, I found Carrier Posts. Great!

How are these models set up? With the flaps extended and the throttle back, one would think down elevator would be needed to maintain straight and level flight. Correct?

Also, once the flaps are lowered, do they stay lowered or do they change with the throttle speed?

Three lines? Three line belcrank?

Thanks in advance.

Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
Re: Carrier set-up? Flaps and throttle?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 05:43:33 PM »
In my opinion, flaps (and ailerons) are sort of unnecesary or even counter-productive in Carrier.

Currently, winning models go into a prop-hanging "hover" mode of "flight" were full scale aerodynamics become irrevelent.

Real airplane fly slow filight at about 22-to-25 degrees AOA and flaps help.  But modern prop-hanging Carrier planes fly at 60 degrees, so airfoils, flaps, etc, don't mean much.
Paul Smith

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 05:51:35 PM »
Most of the top fliers do not use flaps, etc. The trick to slow speed is something called a slider. The leadouts are as far forward during high speed as stability dictates. For slow speed the slider releases and the lines move back causing the plane to yaw out and allows the pilot to get into the 60 degree nose up attitude. There was a good article on all of this in Brodak's magazine several issue ago.

Throttle can be done in two ways for glow. Electrical with a servo driving the throttle linkage, or with a 3 line bellcrank. Most people use the 3 line Bellcrank. I have done both and find little difference between the two for glow engines. The electric approach requires insulated lines so I usually use the mechanical 3 line system on my glow models. My Electric models use electric speed control and insulated lines.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 06:45:39 PM »
Thanks for the replies and info. I should have made one point clear. My interest wasn't necessaralery carrier.

I'm cutting up an ARF Corsair. Adding flaps and some changes to the nose and tail. I would like to slow fly the model with full flaps and have control of the throttle without loosing any flaps.

I don't expect to land the model on a carrier, possibly some touch n go's, but the slow fly with all flaps lowered has to happen.

I purchased a H9 Corsair for RC. I expect to do this model up for CL. I prefer a smaller model, but I don't really know all the ARF Corsairs available. I know of the Nitro, but it has too many issues with look.

How do I accomplish my goal without using electric devices. This is my dream Corsair.
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2010, 06:54:10 PM »
You probably should post your question on the scale board. they probably would be of more help.  I have never done it but before availablity of easy electronic control systems people did what you are talking about in scale. They used multiple lines ( MORE THAN THREE), spring loaded belcranks, etc.

Offline clscale7

• Ensign
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 03:15:23 PM »
I would install electronic controls and control the flaps indepent of the throttle control (2 line bellcrank and lines).
Fred Cronenwett
CL scale

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here