News:

• April 28, 2024, 12:32:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Which ply is heavier ?  (Read 1230 times)

Offline Allan Perret

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Proverbs
Which ply is heavier ?
« on: March 09, 2010, 09:34:36 AM »
1/8" lite ply    or    1/16" regular ply.   
I dont have any lite ply on hand to compare.
I am thinking these two materials have similar strength, any opinions on that ..
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Which ply is heavier ?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 09:43:27 AM »
depends on what you are using it for.  For bellcrank mounts, landing gear mounts and the laminations on the fuselage sides, go with 5 ply plywood.  !/16 ply is great for laminatiing the sides on built up fuselages.  The Light ply is good for formers or any where you are not worried about compressing the wood, like on the nose of profile airplanes motor mounts.  Light ply is as the name says,  light would for areas you don't need much strength in.  Now I am confused. n~ H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 01:16:33 PM »
depends on what you are using it for.  
Huh ???
I am starting on a new profile fuse, the plans call for 1/8" lite ply fuse doublers.  
Dont have any, but I do have 1/16" regular ply, which is 3 plys, not 5.  
Was wondering how they compare weight and strength wise.
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 03:41:14 PM »
If you use lite ply on the nose of a profile airplane cut it out so that the engine lugs can rest on the motor mount beams.  Never put light ply under an engine mount. 

Offline Ward Van Duzer

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 02:20:32 PM »
But there is a third kind of plywood. Lite ply is kind of junky with voids and knotholes and is pretty soft stuff. Certainly 5 ply 1/8 is the strongest, and heaviest but I have found it unnecessary in my profiles. Enter Frank Tianos Mighty Lite 3 ply x 3mm. (I think Midwest also has a version of this!) I put this on the outboard fuselage side back over the high point of the wing, and cutting out the area over the maple mm's. As Jim says above, mount the engine lugs on maple, or any type of engine support. (Aluminum, Nylon, or whatever). The inboard fuse gets a shaped and hollowed 1/2 inch balsa tripler. Do not hollow over the wing joint. Note: No plywood here! That's it. Lite, strong, and it absorbs the vibrations. My piped profile Force is over 10-12 years old now and shows no signs of the "aging profile nose"!  

W.
I hate spelling errors, you mess up 2 letters and you are urined!

Don't hesitate to ask dumb questions.
They are easier to handle than dumb mistakes!  Ward-O AMA 6022

Offline Michael Boucher

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2010, 10:20:06 PM »
So the engine is directly mounted to the maple beam mounts. With having only one doubler on the outside of the mount. The inside of the mount getting  a 1/2" block of balsa cheek  mounting directly to the maple mounts. I was in a hobby shop last weekend and the owner didn't understand what I meant by maple beam engine mounts, lol.  HB~>
AMA 59633

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here