News:

• May 13, 2024, 11:28:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Well, it finally happened. sigh...  (Read 9734 times)

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
Well, it finally happened. sigh...
« on: November 04, 2007, 06:48:55 PM »
Yea, I went to shoot some clear over the sanded primer on a plane tonight and the compressor picked that moment to die. Blew a seal somewhere. I couldn't figure out why I wasn't getting any material through the gun. Turns out the compressor was pumping, but it has a major leak somewhere. I was pretty tired so I just blew the air out and I guess I can look a it tomorrow.

To make matters worse, something is seriously wrong with my clear gun. The thing is also leaking air out of a seal somewhere. What a fabulous day!

Guess I'll have to reassess.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Well, it finally happened. sigh...
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2007, 10:06:22 PM »
Actually, if you look at the bright side, you've got an excuse to get a new compressor. Bummer about the gun though.
Did it screw up the finish on the plane?
-Clint-

AMA 559593
Finding new and innovated ways to screw up the pattern since 1993

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2007, 10:16:16 PM »
No, I was just shooting some clear to seal up the filler. Didn't get very far. Couldn't figure out why the gun wasn't passing much paint. Helps where there's pressure.

The gun is the DeVilbiss that I usually use for clear. I'll see tomorrow if there is a seal kit for it. It's not an expensive gun, but worked pretty well for clear. Worst case, I'll spring for a new one. I'd like to get another decent gun. Maybe I'll go for one of those Finex jobs that Mark was talking about. I try to reserve the Binks gun I have for color coats.

I'll look at the compressor tomorrow. It's an old Craftsman. Could just be a bad seal or something. I couldn't tell where the leak was. I'll half to take the thing apart to figure out what's going on.

Hey, some days are like that.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2007, 10:23:18 PM »
Randy,
what a raw deal man! I would check the drain petcock on the compressor, they are notorious for leaking. My craftsman has leaked there, apparantly all the water sitting on it eventually built up enough caustic nasties to eat through it. replaced it, then had the stupid pop off valve fail. Kind of like you I was getting ready to shoot clear on the
Vanity I built remodeling the bathroom and it just wwent south. Is this your siphon gun that is leaking air? If youdo have to step up, I dont think you will be dissapointed with the Finex. Only thing is to make sure you are diligent about cleaning it. THat is the only pesky thing about them.
momentary hijack........
   the 109 wing is in once piece now. fitting controls, bellcranck, and making a horn. Sure wish my balsa order would get here! Also wish I hadnt comiitted to work yesterday and today, it was really nice, right up till I got off work,,, sigh,,
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2007, 06:01:42 AM »
Do you oil your seals? It was revelation to me that that some guns recommend this. Apparently the seals are made of leather. I've an Ingersoll Rand gun that worked great for over a year until I submerged it in thinner and messed up the seals. (Didn't even know about the seals. Didn't read the instructions warning me that submerging gun is a no no.) The touch up gun was $40 at Lowes. Tried to buy another only to find that Lowes has discontinued this brand. The equivalent IR gun seems to be about $70, elsewhere. Oh well.

How do people take care of their seals? What is the usual maintenance drill for spray guns? Also, what size needle are people using, for different paints? I've been teaching myself to spray paint our toy airplanes. Getting better, I think, with each project. Also, I talk with Bob Brookins at each Brodak fly in. An article (or two) on spray painting would be much appreciated by this enthusiast.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2007, 08:49:48 AM »
Mark,

The compressor is leaking on the top somewhere. Could be a fitting has just worked loose. I'll take it apart tonight to see what I have. If I have to replace it, hmmm.. not fun, but the thing is 15 years old and I've already replaced the petcock, the release valve and had to replace the bearing in the compressor motor. Hate to lose it at this point.

Dennis,

Depends on the gun. My Binks has silicon seals (now - they were replaced about 4 years ago). No oiling needed. Not sure on the DeVilbiss. I got it on a going out of business sale for about a hundred bucks a couple of years ago. But I suspect that it also has silicon seals. It was weird because air was coming out of the nozzle without the trigger being depressed. No material came out. Could just be that the trigger valve has got some junk in it. Much like the compressor, I'll need to completely dismantle it to see what I have.

I'm sure Mark will chime in and he knows more about spray guns than I do. But I use a cheap Harbor Freight gun for primer. It's a full sized gun with a big aluminum cup. It has a 1.8mm needle and shoots primer pretty well. The Binks is a 1.2mm needle that I use for color. I love that gun. The Devilbiss has a 1.0mm needle and has worked really well for clear coats including catalyzed polyurethane.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2007, 03:22:31 PM »
I decided to replace my clear gun (a midlevel DeVilbiss) with a CATechnologies gun, a Jaguar Mini-Jet. It's another mid-line gun that's a copy of the Sata Mini-Jet. Cool part is it comes with 3 needles and seats (0.8, 1.0 and 1.5). in theroy for clear, base color and primer, though I'll only likely use it for clear coats. This is an example of a decent, mid-priced gun (about 199.00 MSRP that I found on sale for 145.00). Not a great gun, but a decent one.

I'm really hoping that the compressor is repairable. I really, really don't want to have to buy a new compressor right now. Sigh....
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2007, 06:33:25 PM »
Randy,

It is possible that a line has cracked.  I had a compressor which had aluminum lines.  Through heat and vibration they work hardened (I guess) and one split.  I have also seen brass compression fittings split over the years.  MY guess would be to check them out.  (just an old plumber/pipe fitter here! LOL!!)
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2007, 10:20:50 PM »
One nice thing about learning to spray these days is the availability of real cheap stuff to begin with. The first gun I bought was $12 at a flea market, new in the sealed plastic hang up pack. Used it for a year, until gold flecks from gold paint, did in the needle. Neat to get a feel for spray painting dope on the cheap. The next gun was a decent Ingersoll Rand that instantly showed me the value of using something better. The knock offs available at Harbor Freight and the like, great values. I'm a retread, back in this for four fun years. Back in the day, as a kid, only used a brush. So, I had to get over a bit of an emotional hump when doing spray. Jumping in is the way to go. Starting to get a feel for mixing thinner, retarder, etc. The inexpensive equipment, now available, works well enough to use for a start. Besides it seems to me that todays dope needs to be sprayed. Doesn't go on easily, when brushed. I sprayed six or seven models using a 3/4 horse 2 gallon compressor. Didn't even recycle on it's own. Just blew the safety valve, if I let the compressor run too long. When it started to smoke and screech it got thrown in the trash. I appreciate the 19 gallon tank on my new Sears compressor. Going up in stages teaches the value of each incremental improvement.

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2007, 10:31:57 PM »
or save yourself some money in the long run and buy the good stuff to begin with, and never have to reinvest
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2007, 05:08:57 AM »
I discussed precisely this with Bob Brookins last year at Brodak. We talked about the small compressor I had been using (it was given to me in mightily used condition.) Also, the ridiculously cheap gun I started out with. The combo doing a pretty good job all in all, for sport planes and the like. We concluded that learning how to mix paint-- thinner, retarder, deal with weather conditions (such as humidity and temperature), adjusting air pressure for spray pattern, all this required developing a feel-- learning about painting was the most important issue. No need to get hung up on the equipment, at least when starting out. I used the small compressor simply because a buddy found it when cleaning out a rental on his property and gave it to me. I used the spray gun because what the heck it was there at a flea, $12. My point is that in that year I got painting. I developed a base line. Later, when using better equipment, I was skilled enough to appreciate the differences.

Offline Douglas Babb

• What goes through your mind first as a line breaks?
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2007, 11:00:25 AM »
Hit the auto paint supply house for a DeVilbiss overhaul kit for your gun, replace the packings and other parts that come in the kit. When reassembling use a drop of light oil ( gun) on the packings and snug the gland nut where the needle enters the body. When cleaning make sure the nozzle is clean at the needle seat and put it and the cap back on loose for storage, it keeps the teflon nozzle seal from flattening out and lasts longer. If you do not have to remove the siphon tube for storage it will build a paint seal at the connection preventing leaks otherwise you have to make sure that area is clean for a good mating seal. If the gun is pasing air it sounds as if the inlet valve is worn, there is some parts in the kit for it. Basically it is a plunger un-seating a ball from a seat. Forgot to add for cleaning un screw needle for max flow and run thinner through gun by spraying or pressure feed through siphon tube with trigger held open to rinse out gun. These are things that helped me in 20 years of painting aircraft for the navy.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2007, 12:47:29 PM »
OK, here's the story. The compressor is an old 2hp, 20 gallon Sears job. It does a fine job, though certainly not the best thing in the world, has been eminently serviceable. Turns out that the pressure tube where it connects to the pressure relief switch was split requiring not only a new switch by new tube and nuts. Sigh... Sears doesn't carry the parts anymore, but I found that an outfit called M&S supply online carries them. Turns out that DeVilbiss makes the compressor for Sears and the parts are available through M&S DeVilbiss parts service. I was kinda surprised when I punched in the Sears part numbers and got DeVilbiss parts. I back tracked and entered the model number and that's were I found out that DeVilbiss made thing things for Sears. Figures. So, a mere $50 later and the parts are on the way.

After talking to Mark S. last night, I decided to bite the bullet and just bought the SATA gun. It's near top of the line and the place I bought it had a special. The price was steep, but not obscene, and the deal comes with a rebuild kit and various doodads (holder, filter frame, pressure gauge, fittings and a disposable material cup system - the gun itself has an aluminum cup). I swallowed a bit, but with the old Binks gun I have, I should be set for the duration. The DeVilbiss is a decent gun and I may track down a rebuild kit for it, but it's not in the league of a SATA.

I'm blaming Mark for inadvertently talking me into it.   VD~
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2007, 01:10:03 PM »
 Ok well actually I thought I told you to try the jaguar gun? sheesh, you were supposed to spend YOUR money and tell me how it works out, ,man you just dont cooperate as for the SATA MiniJet,,, blame me now, thank me later, I will be sitting right here waiting for the "wow thats a cool gun!" and I promise, I wont say I told you so, ok so not very loud anyway
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2007, 01:39:14 PM »
Turns out that the pressure tube where it connects to the pressure relief switch was split requiring not only a new switch by new tube and nuts.

Well, the Blind Hog strikes again.......... seems some people here don't understand that I was a poor boy and learned a LOT from an extremely brilliant man and own my own...........  and still know it.

As to HAVING to use a $400 gun?  Ridiculous (not offense, Mark) but I will put my finishes up with anyones (especially since I don't even sweat over them) and my MOST expensive gun is $29.95. Pretty much the exact same gun Windy used on all his old painting videos.  Gee.. didn't THAT guy have a 20 pointer??  I HAVE USED ridiculously high priced guns (I used to go by Bob Switzer's shop, $10,000-$20,000 paint jobs) which are a necessity if you have to do it day in and day out for a living, but for a plane every 6 months or so, it ain't.  There is only SO MUCH you can do to a model airplane, and 99% of that is in the preparation.  If you have the money, by all means get the best you can, but take care of it since the overall usage will be minimal.   And as Lily Tomlin used to say: "and that's the truth".
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Eric Viglione

« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2007, 01:49:09 PM »
Randy - Glad it was a cheap fix... I keep waiting for my Campbell Hausfeld to kick the bucket so I can go get a nice new compressor, but the stupid thing just keeps going. The only think I really don't like about it is that it's LOUD. I'm used to the Rotary Screw Compressor we had in my old shop, it wasn't any louder than a refridgerator... I sure miss that thing... probably couldn't afford one for hobby use though.

As for spray guns, I've used the Campbell $39 touch up gun forever, and it just keeps going too. Little cheapo air brushes for trim colors work fine, even with the KlassKote epoxies I've been using, and you can afford one for each color at H/F, heh.

We used to have expensive guns at the shop for doing wood veneer clear coats and such, Devilbiss and Binks, etc. Only difference I ever saw was the price. As long as the cheap gun isn't TOO cheapo. The REALLY cheapo guns metals are porous and make for hard cleanup and sloppy fit's make bad adjustments, air leaks for inconsistent finishes and once again, harder to clean. But these days, most moderately low price guns aren't half bad.

EricV

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2007, 02:07:44 PM »
Bill no offense taken. I think I said, At least I hope i have said bdcause its my intent. Buy the best you can afford. There IS a difference, it DOES make a difference. Can you get a good job with cheaper stuff? absolutly! Will it be easier, Not neccessarily. In fact many times you have to figure out how to compensate for the shortcomings of the less expensive equipment. Knock yoruself out, I really didnt ever tell Randy to buy the SATA, sheesh hes just trying to get me in trouble. I will continue to state unequivocably that there does exist a difference between the inexpensive guns and the good ones. Randy and I talked about it last night in fact, good equipment is always good, some ok equipment is good. Is the difference relative to an individual, sometimes yyes sometimes no. Pay your money take your chances. I will always reccomend buy the best equipment you can justify. I too use some harbor freight stuff. my epoxy brushes and things like that, heck yeah, they are functionally acceptable for what I want them for. would I use them to brush dope on a wing, Nope. As a Proffesional painter, If I reccomend somethning it will be because I trust it to NOT cause you problems. That is the reason I will reccomend buying the best you can. the difference between expensive guns and cheap guns usually is in the QC line. that means some cheap guns are ok, some are garbage. The key is to know when you get a junk one, is it you, or the gun?
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2007, 03:39:49 PM »
I want to clarify that Mark suggested I get the SATA copy; a Jaguar Mini-jet. Actually, he suggested the Finex as a gun that he knew as a good, mid-level gun that would work because he's used them. He suggested that I go to my local paint place (where I buy auto paint and was looking at the gun) and try out their Jaguar. The guy at the shop had suggested it to me because they use them.

Then I just happened to run across a really good deal on a SATA Mini-Jet. About 75% of retail with some pretty cool extras so I jumped on it. The thing about getting good equipment is, you never have to worry about it. It just works. It's true that I'll only use it every 4-6 months, but at that rate, it will last forever. These are guns that are meant to be used by professionals on a daily basis and are expected to last. It's a good, top line gun.

No, no one "needs" such a gun. A good, midline Devibliss (maybe a $100) or a Finex (maybe $90) or any number of other mid quality guns will do a very nice job and are certainly a good choice. If you get a cheap Harbor Freight gun and you're lucky that happens to fall within spec tolerances, it will probably work out OK most of the time. Problem is, you might go through 3 or 4 of them before you run across one that is within tolerances. Even then, it will wear out much more quickly and be much, much less consistent. But, you can pitch it and buy a new one when it fails. You could buy a dozen of them for what the SATA costs. I use a cheap Harbor Freight gun to shoot primer and it works fine. When it wears out, I just chuck it and get another. Primer is tough on guns. But after I've spent 500 hours building a complicated plane from scratch, I'm not willing to use something that might work or usually works. I want something that I am certain is going to work and work well every time. If that means spending a few more bucks, that's fine. Over the years I've gone though several spray guns. I've tried and discarded several cheapo jobs and have used a few decent, mid-level jobs (and still have one) and still have one old but very good high end gun. When the chance came up to buy a top line gun at a reasonable price (well, semi-reasonable), I decided it was worth it to me.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2007, 10:55:43 PM »
Well, I'm still waiting for parts. Hopefully I'll see the compressor parts by the weekend. It's getting boring around here. May have to go back to playing Freelancer. Sigh...
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2007, 11:42:29 PM »
Randy,,
come on now, cant you find a better game than Freelancer? I mean really, hows about some Rise of Nations? Age of Empires. I had Freelancer, guess maybe I just never found the allure. If solo, I would rather play Far Cry or Call of Duty. Ok but back on topic, heck pull the PA plane down and start doping it while yoru waiting for parts. When does the new spray gun come in?got confirmation my balsa is on the way finally so I should be able to start the fuse soon,,,,,,,
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2007, 05:59:50 PM »
Mark,

Not my cup of tea. Right now I'm still playing Freelancer (with added open source modules - online), a bit of Prophecy and a new game called Starshatter-the Gathering Storm. Pretty cool. I love space flight games.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2007, 11:02:29 PM »
Well, the gun came today, but still no compressor parts.

Sigh...
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2007, 07:59:38 AM »
Randy,
gotta test the new spray gun out, %^@just blow in the hose really reallly hard,,
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2007, 09:01:24 PM »
Found out today that one of the parts I ordered is on backorder. They expect it in the next day or two. Great. Man, I wish now that I had just bought a new compressor.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2007, 10:32:37 PM »
Randy...you could borrow my compressor for awhile. It's a 4hp, and requires 230v., funny plug, ya know. Lemme know.  Rod would probably let you use his paint booth, too.  H^^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2007, 11:17:57 PM »
Steve,,

I suspect that if I don't get the parts Monday, I'll just buy a new one. Hey, then I could have the old one down in the garage. That's an excuse, ur, thought.

AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2007, 02:51:12 PM »
I thought your shop was upstairs from the garage. Why don't you put your compressor downstairs and run some pipe up to the model shop? That way, you won't have to listen to it so intently! If you buy a new compressor, get a good one, that will live ten+ years. Let me know if you need mine.  D>K Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2007, 06:07:48 PM »
Steve,

I have a new one all picked out. 3hp, 30 gallon job that delivers 7.0CFM at 40lbs. Seems a good choice.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2007, 02:21:24 PM »
OK, it's a done deal. There is a new compressor in the back of my car even as I type this. On top of everything else, it went on sale today and I saved $50. Can't beat that with a stick.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2007, 07:37:33 PM »
The "Honey Doo" list just got longer. Post pictures when/if you can, Randy...  LL~ Steve

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2007, 12:02:21 PM »
Steve,

Actually, the spousal unit encouraged me to just buy the thing. So, new compressor, new air lines and connectors, new in line filter and dehumidifier with water trap and very cool new spray gun. Should be set for awhile.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2007, 12:06:54 PM »
Bet this answers the dilema about doing the finish work on the new PA plane or building huh! cool toys to play with, I am thinking you will be painting
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2007, 03:30:49 PM »
Mark,

Yea, I'm glad there's a 4 day weekend coming up. I'm abouts to do some serious painting.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2007, 03:38:42 PM »
If yoru like me, I am thinking I will be sick tomorrow, I am so phsyced with the progress on the 109 I want to work on it NOW ;D
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2007, 12:29:45 PM »
Mark,

Naw, my staff is all out on leave today. In fact, they are out of state for the holiday. Someone has to mind the store. Sigh... I've decided I'm way too nice a boss.

But, I now have accumulated all new stuff and am ready to move forward. That's at least encouraging. With luck, all the color will be on the Cobra by Sunday depending on how carried away I get with paint scheme complexity. I just love 6-8 hours of taping and masking for 2 minutes of actual painting.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2007, 01:05:51 PM »
One of these days I would love to collaborate with you on a paintjob, we could learn from each other to be sure. Isnt it time you and Pat moved here to eastern Washington?
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2007, 01:51:02 PM »
Mark,

Believe me, there are times that that sounds pretty attractive.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2007, 09:01:34 PM »
The title fits, anyway. It looks like we might have a real flying site next year. We'll need to build it ourselves, but it's State land, out at Flaming Geyser SP. I hope to drag more info out of Rod this weekend. Donations accepted, cash, grass, or, you know.... LL~ Steve

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2007, 09:06:57 PM »
Steve,,
groan,,, you hadda say it didnt you,, sigh :P ::) y1
good news on teh flying feild! you guys ahve been working on that deal for ages trying to get a real "home" hope it comes to totall fruition!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2007, 11:16:18 PM »
Steve,

yea, I talked to Howard about it last weekend. Sounds very cool. Hey, I'll pitch in to help get it off the ground (pun intended). A permanent site sounds very good about now.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2007, 12:06:10 AM »
(snip) But, I now have accumulated all new stuff and am ready to move forward. That's at least encouraging. With luck, all the color will be on the Cobra by Sunday depending on how carried away I get with paint scheme complexity. I just love 6-8 hours of taping and masking for 2 minutes of actual painting.

Hi Randy, 

I'm so glad to hear that you CAN spend 8 hours of taping and YOU WILL BE ABLE TO PAINT AGAIN! ;D

I know you will do the Cobra proud.
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2007, 03:41:09 PM »
I just gotta put my two cents worth in here.  I have a Plummer R-4 gun, one of the most expensive and high quality guns ever made and I don't use it any more.  I've been finishing custom guitars professionally for 6 plus years now and went to the "cheap" Harbor Freight guns because thye are less tempermental and provide as good a finish and as EASY a finish as the high dollar guns if you but take the time to play with them at first and learn how to set them up.  They clean easier and last just as long.  At least I think 6 plus years is a good life for a gun since neither my full size gun and my touch up gun have required parts in that time.
Sorry guys, but I compare this type of thing to the old "My stereo has 10 to 20,000 cycle response so it's better than your 20 to 15,000 cycle response set."  The human ear can't register the 10 OR the 20,000 cycles so what good is that extra response?  As an old electronics tech, I can tell you it is no help at all.
If you can afford more expensive equipment, that's your perogative, but I prefer to operate at the best level possible with the least expense possible.  (That enabled me to retire from my first career years early.)
Blessings & happy painting.
Will
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2007, 04:00:14 PM »
and I will say, and not apoligize, I do refinishing professionaly. I spray different colors, different substrates and different clears. I will never agree that a Harbor Freight gun will spray as well as my expensive guns. It simply will not atomize as well, or be as consistant. To say otherwise is to say that my twister will fly as well as Paul Walkers Impact. Maybe, just maybe if Pauls impact was way out of trim, and mY twister was at its absolute best maybe youcould compare them. No disrpect to you Mr. Hinton, but I havent even heard of a "Plummer" I have been painting for 25 years, I am a total advocate of having the best you can afford, it will serve you better for longer with less headaches. YOu do as you choose, and more power to you if it works. I have helped many many people to sort out problems painting , granted mostly on cars and motorcyles, but my point remains valid. As a rule, people that were willing to invest in at least a middle range gun, had less problems than people that bought cheap equipment. My 40 FP will not ever perform the same as Pauls 40 VF. Occasionally it may appear to work as well, but overall, long term what is the best solution.
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2007, 04:51:55 PM »
Over the last 20 years or so, I've had a number of guns. I bought the Binks gun I have soon after I came back to CL flying about 1983. Over that time I've had various cheap spray guns, primarily to shoot color coats and reserved the Bink for clear coats. I can say without any doubt at all, the the Bink was far, far superior to the cheap guns and copies. I've had 3 or 4 harbor freight guns, a couple of low end Sharpe guns, a couple of "Air Power" guns (cheap Binks copies made by DeVilbiss for a local company), and a couple of no name guns, bought at places like Home Depot or Lowe's. In each case, the cheap guns were harder to work with, more inconsistent, almost always screwed something up along the way and were much more labor intensive that the Binks. When they worked well, it was a surprise and always short lived. I worked in a body shops for several years (many years ago) and was taught then, get good equipment and you will get better results. That's been the case for me.

As Mark says, do what works for you and if you are happy using Harbor Freight guns, by all means use them. I'll stick with what works for me.

Today I shot color on the Cobra using the DeVilbiss Finish Line gun I have. It's a mid-line, pretty decent gun. About a hundred bucks and the rebuild kits for it are readily available. It's an OK unit. I use if for color because it has the advantage of being fairly predictable and works in a relatively wide pressure range without getting weird. But I can say that after using the SATA to shoot some clearcoat on the the primer to seal it prior to shooting the color today, there is no comparison. The DeVilbiss works OK and has been a decent gun as things go, but the difference in atomization, consistency of spray pattern and rate that paint is laid down, they just really don't compare.

I've often recommended to guys I know on a tight budget to go ahead and skimp on the compressor. It will wear out faster than if you get one of better quality, but it will work for quite awhile and will teach you some things about how to set pressure and such. The air that comes out is no different than an expensive one. But when it comes to spray guns, I tell them to get at least a decent, mid-line gun because unless you have high frustration tolerance, you're better off. You can pay 19.95 at Harbor Freight and if you are lucky with get an OK gun that will last a couple of years, but you will probably be frustrated. On the other hand, the cheap guns probably teach you more about how to get something to work than a good gun will.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2007, 06:31:05 PM »
Hi Mark,
The Plummer guns are made here in Napoleon, Ohio, and are used, along with their "heavier" spray equipment, in the automated auto industry in Detroit and other main line plants.  Not too many are familiar with them because they don't push the "non-industry" market.  As a restorer of aircraft many years ago and then a restorer of cars as a hobby I've used them all, and these HF el-cheapo's work fine for my application.
The finish work I do professionally is on small stuff, similar in size to a stunt ship, and involves a lot of clear application and a heap of mettalics.  I find them sufficient.  I do admit that if I were doing full scale aircraft or cars again that I would go back to the huge Plummer, even over the DeVilbus, which, by the way, is also made within 30 miles of my shop.
It appears I offended you since you refer to me as "Mr. Hinton", if so, my apologies, but with the size and scope of our models, I simply can't see the need for the high dollar stuff when my $2000 custom guitars are quite loved and admired by all my clients.
www.crossovercustomguitars.com will give you a look at my wares if you're curious.
Blessings,
Will
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #45 on: November 22, 2007, 07:46:41 PM »
Sounds like someone is getting a little upset over comments on this post.  I have heard from several people that I do not know how to finish an airplane, I agree with them.  I don't expect to be NATS quality competitor in stunt.  I do have some planes from the past that I spent considerable time trying to put decent finishes on.  All these years I have tried to do it with a little air brush outfit that the bottle only held about two ounces of dope/paint.  But, as with anything we learn to do the best we can with what we have.  Nothing like seeing a plane that is entirely done with a brush and came out looking better than some of the 16 point planes I have seen.  Have fun, DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #46 on: November 22, 2007, 08:16:55 PM »
Will and all,
In reading my postI can see that it comes across as me being upset, not sure that I really am. I do get frustrated with trying to solve peoples problems with paint issues, again not neccessarily with models. I personally get very frustrated with equipment that makes my performance more difficult and less predictable. Perhaps my outlook is jaded, but I want equipment that willnot introduce unknown variables into the equation. there are enough things to try to control without that. I by no means feel it is critical to buy a 400 dollar spray gun. there are good guns in the 100 dollar range. For me, if I am using a tool for a job, I want to be sure it is capable of doing the job I expect. as I said initially, will a Harbor Freight gun work, yes, sometimes. can you work around the problems yes sometimes. can you fly a 500 point pattern with a flight streak, yes sometimes, can anyone do it, nope it takes a special level of finesse. So if you dont have the finesse, and you strive for a top notch finish, perhaps it is in your best interest to use tools that wont cause you more problems that you dont have the skills or experience to diagnose, is it me, is, it the paint,is it the reducer,or is it the gun? I am very very carefull about recomending a tool for a job that will cause problems. Will it sounds as though you have many hours experience with a spray gun in your hand. I commend you for the quaility of work you do, I like the looks of your guitars. With your experience I imagine you have been able to overcome the shortcomings of these substandard tools to create your above standard instrements. When someone asks me, what spray gun should I buy,, First question, what can you really afford, and what do you want it to do for you. I beleive you probably ask your customers the same questions about your custom guitars. I dont know, I really hope I havent offended you, youhavent offended me. I simply am trying to "protect the innocent". There is NO ignoring the fact that a better tool allows you to do a better job easier. I am sure you feel that way about your guitars? My sole reason for being adamant about this issue is that as a painter, I feel responsible for advice I give. I dont want people to get the impression that a Harbor Freight , or any other repro copy cheap spray gun will do the job as well as  a good gun.   By good I am speaking of any number of 100 $ guns on the market by name brand companys. FInex, Finish Line,, and several others. As with your guitars, and those that Hastings sells for 100$, there IS a difference, a marked difference and an advantage to using better tools.
Respectfully, I invite you to communicate with me personally, I dont like the misconceptions that some times arrise as a result of this media format. I am not offended, just protective I appreciate your input and perspectve, though I may not agree.
Have a blessed day

P.S. I would like some info on the brand of gun you spoke of, th e Plummer,I did a search as I am a fan of Unfamiliar spray equipment, I cant find anything on it online. is there a contact site? Incidently, my favorite spray gun is my Kremlin,which is also not well known but all the painters that have tried it fell in love with it for clear, it sprays a very controlled pattern about 12 inchs across and very very flat and extremely atomized. it is my FAVORITE clear gun of all time. I hate it for color coats though.
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Greg L Bahrman

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #47 on: November 22, 2007, 10:17:43 PM »
Just a question for you expert painters from someone who is not. I understand some paints or clears flow out better than others or some leave more orange peel than others?
Anyway, might it make a difference which gun is used with which material. I mean 2 people could be spraying with the same gun but getting different results. I guess there are other variables also. Please explain & thanks.
Greg Bahrman, AMA 312522
Simi Valley, Ca.

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #48 on: November 22, 2007, 11:22:45 PM »
Randy, first off, I want to apologize for hijacking your thread, seems I have a habit of this happening, sigh,,,,
Greg,
that is a very astute observation and also a very valid one. As I noted, I have a gun I use for clear when shooting cars, thats my Kremlin. It sprays urethane clear exceedingly well. It has machining and nozzle jetting that atomizes the particular viscosity and structure of this material well. I have tried to spray acrylic lacquer and cabinet lacquers through this gun. I can make them work but it certainly is NOT optimized for it. My Devilbiss cup gun, old siphon feed cup, sprays cabinet lacquer far better than any of my newer high tech guns. I can and on occasion do , spray this material through my modern guns for various reasons. The most common one being when I work in my shop at home, IE my garage. My modern guns distribute far less over spray into the air while i am spraying than does my cup gun simply by nature of design and the inherent efficiencies of HVLP technology. I have other guns that I use to spray basecoat colors, and still other guns for sealer and primers. Each material has its own "happy place" #^ where it will spray better, this includes thinner  temp range, temp and airflow, as well as the gun porting and needle size. You will also note in past posts that I am a very very big believer in using the thinner that was engineered for  material you are spraying. In other words, you wont see me recommend Dupont 380s or anything else to use in Brodak, Sig or any other dope. I am also a firm believer in not mixing paint lines. In other words, I believe in every paint product on the surface being from the same product line. One of my worst case scenarios is using something like water based wood finishing material under dope. I am actually trying to resolve some issues in a system that will allow a complete Urethane system from bottom to top. This will eliminate many problems with shrinkage and incompatibility that occur. Yes I am a purist. I am that way because I have had enough issues using all the right stuff to be horrified to think of mixing things together that weren't meant to be together. I know there are lots of people that mix and match and do it successfully. Some of them do magnificent work. as Phil Granderson said, rely on the fact that it works to know it works. ( I think thats the way it went) I speak from my personal experience. The best way I can explain my feelings is to use analogies, Some time ago, Honda built a car called the NSX. It was slammed in some of the motoring press because it was to easy to drive fast. It was said that anyone could drive the car within 90 percent of its capability and that until they got into a crisis situation they would be very very fast.Not 100 percent, but the first 90 were so easy to get. This is the way I look at spray guns. There IS a difference in quality, and repeatability. I can take a Harbor Freight gun that I bought for 20$ and in all likely hood by the time I have sprayed a cup of paint through it, I know how to make it work pretty much near its optimum. It may be I have to tweak the amount of thinner, air pressure, type of hardner, or how fast I move the gun. I may even make small adjustments mechanically on the gun. If you, who by your own words, isnt exceedingly experienced with paint, were to pick up that same gun and try to spray, and it was not working, would you know to increase the fan screw, increase the air pressure, thin the material, use different thinner, hold the gun closer or farther away. Heck I have even read reports of some of the inexpensive guns having some of the air ports not machined completely through. without the experience, you wont know what is happening. At least With a good gun,  a lot of the concerns like this are eliminated. You can be assured that the gun will react repeatably. I dont really knwo what Will's situation is in his shop. However, I would hazard a guess that he is spraying pretty much the same material day in and day out. He obviously has experience with a spray gun and has learned to make the cheap guns work for him. More power to him. Its guys like you that I worry about. As with my flying, I dont want my equipment to be the limiting factor. I want my skill or lack of it to be the deciding factor in the equation.I haven't really addressed some of the variables but perhaps this isn't the right place for that. I may try to generate a document to cover some of that if there is interest and I can drag myself away from my bf109 project long enough to do it
Please realize, I dont think I am an expert painter, I am an experienced painter. I have made lots of mistakes and had to solve lots of problems. but like my daddy told me, you LEARN more from mistakes than you ever will from doing it right.
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #49 on: November 23, 2007, 12:14:16 AM »
Mark,

Hijack away.

This is a good topic and one thing occurred to me. As you note, there's no real reason for spending $300 or $400 on a spray gun if all your going to do is paint airplanes. A $100 Finex or Finish line or several other similar guns will work fine for the most part. Truth is, if you get a decent, midline gun and learn to use it, you'll be fine. For guys just starting out painting, I usually recommend they get a decent, but inexpensive compressor. Maybe a Sears or similar 2hp, 10 gallon job that can be picked up on sale for around a $100 or less. Get a decent filter/water/oil trap to put in the line especially if you live in an area that has high relative humidity. But get a decent gun. A mid-level Sharpe or DeVilbiss is just fine. If you have the money, get two; one for color and one for clear. But if not, just use the one and be anal about cleaning it.

But hey, if you have the money and get the chance, buy a good gun because in the long run, you don't have to get around the quirk and problems. they don't have any. It's sort of like the discussion on the other board about trimming versus practice. You can take a less than optimum plane and if you fly it enough, you'll discover it's quirks and problems and learn to work around them. A good pilot can learn to make a mediocre plane fly a pretty decent pattern. But it's so much easier to fly a really terrific pattern with a well trimmed and powered plane.

Doc,

>>But, as with anything we learn to do the best we can with what we have.<<

This is the other thing. All of use do the best we can with the equipment we have. Better equipment not only does a better job, it's much easier to  get good and repeatable results. I like to do a lot of interesing machine work. I mill my own bellcranks, adjustable leadout systems and all sorts of stuff. I have a Taig mill. It's not a really good mill, but it works OK. A servicable unit but far, far from the top of the line. I know that if I could get a better mill, the machine work I do would be a lot easier. The Taig takes a lot of set up and constant re-tramming and adjustment. As I say, it works OK but it twice as much work as a higher quality mill would be. But it's what I have. When I bought it, I go a deal and could afford it. I didn't have $6000+ sitting around to spend on a really decent mill. So I do the best I can with the Taig.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here