• April 27, 2024, 12:33:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: tank  (Read 1284 times)

Offline adam collver

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ensign
tank
« on: November 03, 2012, 07:47:38 AM »
ive been doing control line for a couple of years. i now scratch building fancher twisters i know how a tank mounts on a profile.  but how do you guys mount the tank in a full fuse stunter ?

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: tank
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2012, 09:06:54 AM »
Most tanks slide in from the front now.  Usually in the old days we put them in from the bottom on inverted engines.  Do a search of some of the construction photos on this site.   Also Walter Umland has some photos on his builtrightflyright site.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2012, 09:42:29 AM »
ive been doing control line for a couple of years. i now scratch building fancher twisters i know how a tank mounts on a profile.  but how do you guys mount the tank in a full fuse stunter ?

Adam,

Some models, with full fuselages, the tank is accessible from the top. Here's my scratch built New American. Yes, I could have had a slide in from the front, but not from underneath because of the design.

Charles
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

steven yampolsky

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2012, 01:15:44 PM »
ive been doing control line for a couple of years. i now scratch building fancher twisters i know how a tank mounts on a profile.  but how do you guys mount the tank in a full fuse stunter ?

I've tried many different ways to mount a tank: hooks and rubber bands, soldered ears, through the fuse with a stop on the inboard. All have pluses and minuses but I found one that works for me. It requires no soldering, simple to make and includes full tank adjustability. It involves marine sealant(sometimes called fishtank sealant) and three pieces of  1/8 plywood.  Here's how it works:

The attachments for the tank are glued onto balsa fuse side before the model is covered.

1) Get marine sealant at a local Home Depot(paint department) or an Automotive store. Something that looks like this:
http://syampolsky.fotki.com/model-airplanes/kmd-stunt/img-0261.html

2) Cut out a piece of plywood that is as tall as the fuse-facing tank wall and 3/4" wider. Previous picture shows the part next to the tube of sealant.
http://syampolsky.fotki.com/model-airplanes/kmd-stunt/img-0254.html

3) Scoff fuse facing wall of the tank with some 120 grit sand paper and degreas it with acetone then alcohol.
http://syampolsky.fotki.com/model-airplanes/kmd-stunt/img-0262.html

4) Cut two identical pieces of plywood that are as tall as the back plate and about 1/2" wide. Drill a hole in the center of them and insert a 2-56 blind nut.
http://syampolsky.fotki.com/model-airplanes/kmd-stunt/img-0259.html

5) The two pieces will be attached to the fuse with 5 minute epoxy. Before you glue them on, bolt both of them onto the back plate so that you will have them spaced exactly as needed. In the previous photo one of the pieces was already bolted on. Using 5 minute epoxy, glue the two pieces onto the fuse making sure you don't accidentally glue the backplate. Since you we are using the blind nuts, the pieces need to be pushed into balsa crushing it a little.

6) After the glue has dried, unbolt the backplate from the fuse, apply some marine sealant onto the tank wall and press it against the backplate. Use scrap stick of wood to remove all glue that squeezed out. If no glue has not squeezed out, you did not apply enough of it. There is no need to weight it down, just put it on the backplate and let it dry for 24 hours. After the glue has dried, the tank is ready to be mounted. Here's the end result:
http://syampolsky.fotki.com/model-airplanes/kmd-stunt/img-0287a.html

I have a tank that was attached in this fashion back in 2003. It still works very well. Apparently marine sealant is impervious to our fuels. Oh, and one more thing: brush some epoxy to fuel proof the plywood plate otherwise it will soak up the oils and eventually fail.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here