News:

• April 27, 2024, 12:43:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Starfire  (Read 3629 times)

Offline 55chevr

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Starfire
« on: March 08, 2014, 09:34:15 AM »
I am finishing an old project Starfire that was built from plans and never completed.  The plane was originally built for a 4 stroke.  I converted it to electric with a Cobra motor I had.  I thought it would be a good idea to add air inlets for cooling.  Fortunately, Randy Smith has the carbon fiber landing gear and wheel pants for the Starfire which I was able to get from him.  Just have some concerns about balance with the electric conversion. Will work that out as I get every put together.
Joe Daly

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
Re: Starfire
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2014, 09:58:50 AM »
Chev,

You're getting busy. Nice to see that!

I don't know what the Starfire looks like, but nice scoops.

Got a photo of a finished Starfire?

Charles
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline 55chevr

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2014, 03:02:20 PM »
A lot of progress on the Starfire.   Nitrate dope , carbon fiber, sanding sealer.  A lot of sanding.  I got the correct carbon fiber gear from Randy Smith.  Since this is electric, it is ready to fly as is.  If the weather ever gets good enough to fly.
Joe Daly

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2014, 03:12:38 PM »
Chev,

Shapping up!

Sanding is a killer but it's worth it.

Looks good!
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline 55chevr

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2014, 01:36:12 PM »
I had to build a paint stand to continue.   Starfire is in color.  Needs clear coat and some sanding/polishing.
Joe Daly

Offline 55chevr

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2014, 01:40:33 PM »
I put clear coat on the flaps and elevators on Wednesday.  Using Clear Diamond Finish.  3 days late and still not hard.  It will allow finger prints  to press into finish.  Just how long will it take before it can be handled?

Joe Daly

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2014, 05:15:07 PM »
What did you thin it with. Mine dries in 6 hours y1
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline 55chevr

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2014, 06:39:58 PM »
I used acetone ... I now see where xylene is recommended.  It is hardening slowly.  I think that the acetone is slowing the process.  I may just lightly top coat with xylene thinned clear. Give it another day or so as it is hardening
Joe Daly

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2014, 06:01:40 AM »
I used DulaColor lacquer thinner. $15 gallon at auto parts stores. I use it foe all dope also.
Ed y1
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline 55chevr

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2014, 02:41:31 PM »
Used Xylene on the bottom coat and it hardened in a couple of hours.  Ran like all hell thinned 60/40. I will try 70/30 tomorrow.  I will sand the runs down and top coat.  The KBS is a strong finish.
Joe Daly

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2014, 01:58:23 PM »
In all the years I've been painting, the only thing I ever thinned with acetone was resin.  n~

Your model is shaping up!

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2014, 04:51:15 PM »
I used the KSB diamond clear on the nose and some film repair areas on my YakYak bipe, applied with the foam brush (that they included in the trim kit $19.50). The humidity was in the mid 60% and temp around 72F. It worked just like Mike G said it would, leveled no brush marks. I did not thin, took about two days to cure out hard. The test will be in the flying to see how it holds up to 7% fuel. You might take a heat gun and just warm the surface a bit to kick it off.

Best,       Dennis

Offline 55chevr

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2014, 05:36:50 PM »
The first KBS coat did solidify ... I boosted the garage heat to 75* for a day and it set up right.   I applied second coat to bottom surfaces and got the desired hardening using Xylene.   I did a bit of touch up on a flap and got alligator skin ... frustrating stuff to use but I will figure it out.  I will try brushing with no thinner next.

Joe Daly

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here