News:

• May 01, 2024, 02:40:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Quick and Easy Wheel Pants  (Read 821 times)

Mike Griffin

• Trade Count: (0)
Quick and Easy Wheel Pants
« on: May 17, 2009, 07:08:15 PM »
A friend of mine and I were doing some hangar flying the other nite and starting talking about wheel pants.  We were discussing a way to make it simple.  Here is what I came up with.

The sides of the wheel pants are cut from 1/4 inch balsa.  You drill a hole at the bottom and embed a 1/8th ince wheel collar so that the set screw is exposed at the bottom edge so it is accessible. You skin one side with 1/64th plywood with CA glue and then drill a 1/8" hole through the wheel collar and the plywood.  Then you glue the other side of plywood on and drill a hole through it too so you have a hole your wire axle will pass through.  Cut a piece of 1/64th about 1/4' wide and the length of the bottom of the wheel pant and drill a small hole so you can access the set screw with the hexhead wrench.  Trace the outline of the wheel pant side on to a piece of 1/2" balsa and then core it out so you have a 1/4" thick piece of balsa that will serve as the fender that will go over the wheel. Glue this to the inside of the face of the wheel pant and then take a piece of 1/64th ply the width of the wheel pant and bend it around to conform to the top shape of the wheel pant and glue with medium or thick CA.  You now have the rough wheel pant and that is the stage mine are in in the pictures. You will want to fill in cracks as necessary and sand and then finish and paint as desired.  You put a wheel collar on the wheel shaft, then the wheel, then another wheel collar, then slip on the wheel pant and tighten from the bottom and then one more wheel collar against the face of the wheel pants.  Be sure and grind a flat spot to tighten the set screw in the wheel pant against so it does not rotate back and forth.  You can remove the wheel pant easily.

Mike

Advertise Here

There are no comments for this topic. Do you want to be the first?
Tags:

Advertise Here