News:

• May 22, 2024, 08:04:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Copper wire?  (Read 3367 times)

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
Copper wire?
« on: April 03, 2009, 03:35:13 PM »
I finally ran through the roll of copper wire I've had since, well, since forever. I was looking around for more, but haven't really found a local source. The stuff at the craft stores seems like junk and a big roll from somewhere like McMaster-Carr seems kinda silly (even through the price is good) due to shipping costs unless I was going to order other stuff.

So, where locally am I likely to find small diameter copper wire?
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
Re: Copper wire?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 04:07:37 PM »
Look in the phone book under Electronic parts and let your fingers do the walking.. If you are lucky you might have a local surplus store and get a really good deal.

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 05:35:48 PM »
In my area there are two of the new stores that specialize in sporting goods.  Cabela's and Bass Pro Shop.  They both have fine copper wire in a variety of colors in rod and reel section.  Its comes on a small spool like thread, and they also have neat little thimbles to fit the spool that makes it easy to handle for wrapping lines.  Same stuff the fly fishers use for tying flys. 
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 06:34:22 PM »
Randy, contact Melvin at MBS Model Supply.  He has copper wire in small rolls.  One is coated and the other is the bare wire.  Having fun,  DOC Holliday

PS:Just google  MBS Model Supply.  jeh
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 06:48:45 PM »
Ditto what doc says.  I use their stuff and it works well.  Besides, they're good people.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2009, 09:46:39 PM »
I got mine from Jim Lee (see the Vendor's Section below), along with a dispensing gizmo, at VSC 19. Hardware stores don't carry a light enough gauge of wire. I'll bring some to TNA, tomorrow.  :! Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Greg L Bahrman

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2009, 11:54:58 PM »
I got mine at Radio Shack
Greg Bahrman, AMA 312522
Simi Valley, Ca.

Alan Hahn

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2009, 09:17:19 AM »
I picked up some very fine gauge from the local Hobby Lobby (the craft stores, not the model store). Comes on a spool and works just fine for things like leadouts and control line wrappings.

Offline GGeezer

• Commander
    • Gizmogeezer Products
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2009, 11:41:41 PM »
Randy,
When I need fine copper wire, I strip the insulation off multi-strand hook-up wire and unravel the amount I need.
I found automobile and trailer light hook-up wire to give me the strand diameter I mostly need. Almost any power cord or lamp cord will also provide strands of various diameters.

Orv.

Offline Joe Messinger

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2009, 08:27:20 AM »
The "thimbles" that Allan is speaking of are called "bobbins" and, as he notes, are used for tying flies.  A fixture holds the spool and a the thread or wire goes through a tube attached to the spool holder.  The bobbin makes controlling the wire or thread much easier as you wrap.  Once the wrap is started, if you like, you can spin the bobbin around the workpiece speeding up the process.  If you've ever wrapped the "serving" on a bow string, it's the same technique.

I've been using a bobbin for quite some time now to wrap lines and also using size "E" nylon rod winding thread instead of copper wire.  The nylon thread is much stronger than copper of the same diameter and makes a smoother wrap.  I've never had a failure.

Joe   
Joe Messinger

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2009, 08:29:49 AM »
Randy,
When I need fine copper wire, I strip the insulation off multi-strand hook-up wire and unravel the amount I need.
I found automobile and trailer light hook-up wire to give me the strand diameter I mostly need. Almost any power cord or lamp cord will also provide strands of various diameters.

Orv.

So true.  When I worked in the auto industry, the electricians who hooked up the converyors used thousands of feet of THHN wire.  It was nothing for them to drop a few feet of scrap on the floor, which I policed up and stripped for wrapping lines.  When that's used up, I might have to BUY some off the big rolls at Home Depot.
Paul Smith

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2009, 03:50:52 PM »
I've been using some stainless steel wire (28 gauge) to wrap leadouts and it works pretty well. But the local craft store stopped stocking it. Sigh...

Thanks for the roll of wire, Steve.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2009, 06:40:52 AM »
The "thimbles" that Allan is speaking of are called "bobbins" and, as he notes, are used for tying flies.  A fixture holds the spool and a the thread or wire goes through a tube attached to the spool holder.  The bobbin makes controlling the wire or thread much easier as you wrap.  Once the wrap is started, if you like, you can spin the bobbin around the workpiece speeding up the process.  If you've ever wrapped the "serving" on a bow string, it's the same technique.

I've been using a bobbin for quite some time now to wrap lines and also using size "E" nylon rod winding thread instead of copper wire.  The nylon thread is much stronger than copper of the same diameter and makes a smoother wrap.  I've never had a failure.

Joe   
Thanks for correcting me on the proper name of the "Bobbin".   I attached a picture of mine in use.  If you are wrapping lines, get one of these, you wont be sorry.   Typically around $3,  where ever they sell supplies for fly fishers.
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline CharlesF

• Ensign
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2009, 04:12:25 AM »
Just find an old transformer. The primary wire size should be OK. The secondary (if low voltage) is usually much thicker. If the transformer is varnished, soak it in solvent for 24 hours

Charles

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2009, 08:05:46 PM »
Just find an old transformer. The primary wire size should be OK. The secondary (if low voltage) is usually much thicker. If the transformer is varnished, soak it in solvent for 24 hours

That will certainly work, but I just get "magnet wire" from the local electronics supply house. One roll it about a lifetime supply and costs about $2. It's insulated, but I wrap it on and then dip the completed ends in dope thinner for a few minutes, and that melts the insulation a bit and sticks it together without making it too stiff.

Brett

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2009, 08:22:44 PM »
   That will certainly work, but I just get "magnet wire" from the local electronics supply house. One roll it about a lifetime supply and costs about $2. It's insulated, but I wrap it on and then dip the completed ends in dope thinner for a few minutes, and that melts the insulation a bit and sticks it together without making it too stiff.

Brett

Is is shelaced wire? Do you expoxy it after to wet it with thinner?
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2009, 08:38:28 PM »
Is is shelaced wire? Do you expoxy it after to wet it with thinner?

No epoxy!  I don't know what the insulation is, some sort of transparent spray-on stuff (probably not shellac) that is pretty resistant to lacquer thinner, but gets just soft enough to melt a little bit. After it hardens, it's still pretty flexible, but stuck together enough to not unwind if the ends come loose.

Brett

Offline Ralph Wenzel (d)

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2009, 09:33:33 PM »
I believe the coating on Magnet Wire is a varnish . . .

(Too many irons; not enough fire)

Ralph Wenzel
AMA 495785 League City, TX

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2009, 10:01:16 PM »
I believe the coating on Magnet Wire is a varnish . . .

Of some sort, yes, but its pretty tough stuff, chemically.

Brett

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2009, 12:05:53 PM »
Brett,

Neat idea.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Patrick Rowan

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2009, 10:24:50 PM »
I buy it at Hobby Lobby. Comes in a few different colors as well.
Fly Stunt
Poland, Ohio

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2009, 12:00:30 AM »
I get the spools of red and green coated copper wire from Radio Shack.  *Up* and *Down*........   I hooked my lines up backwards once and was barely lucky enough to not destroy the plane so I went to a *line wrapping for dummies plan*.  LL~ LL~ LL~ 

Michaels carries the stainless steel wire around here, Randy.

(of course, I still have the copper wrapped coil out of a crank telephone, I will never use all of that stuff!)

Mongo

EDIT:  I FORGOT!  Wally World carries cheap cards of different metal wire, including a fine copper wire, uncoated.  I like their thick Brass wire for some applications (like securing tail wheels), but not line wrapping. ;D
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Richard Grogan

• AMA Member 85745 Stunt Hangar
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2009, 12:44:48 AM »
I'm pretty sure that magnet wire is enameled. That would explain why the dope thinner melts it. Thats a great idea Brett, I'll have to give it a try next time.
Long Live the CL Crowd!

AMA 85745

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2009, 10:40:43 AM »
Since the beginning of this thread I have been thinking of stripping the power cord from a VCR I am ready to throw out but since I know that the metal has no varnish, lacquer or other protective coating I felt it best to leave it alone for now.
I just had a great idea on how to save and store it!
I just need to go to a photo lab and get a discarded 35mm can and pop the ends off and use the spool to wind the wire onto and I can put the spool back in the can, run a small length of wire out of the little felt slot where the film used to come out and now I will have a dispenser for the wire. For storage just put it a 35mm film canister from the same photo lab!

Robert
Crop circles are simply open invitations to fly C/L!

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2009, 11:11:01 AM »
Randy.  Look in the phone book for "Norvac Electronics".  I think there is a store in Portland, and one in Eugene.  I use 27 ga copper magnet wire.  It is coated with varnish.

Wrapping lines only takes about 18" of wire, so a bobbin isn't necessary.  Just cut off that much and let the free end hang while you wrap.

Floyd
90 years, but still going (mostly)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here