News:

• April 27, 2024, 08:41:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: flaps for the first time . Help  (Read 1060 times)

Offline adam collver

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ensign
flaps for the first time . Help
« on: December 18, 2013, 09:15:29 AM »
I'm doin a f twister  and have never done flaps. Any tips?

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: flaps for the first time . Help
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2013, 09:56:51 AM »
Make sure they are aligned and stiff.   If you do a search you will see all ways of doing flaps,  from solid material to built up.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2013, 10:54:32 AM »
nake sure the geometry is correct,, and the ratio is 1 to 1 to start off with,
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2013, 10:55:13 AM »
Docs got it.  I'll also add to do the control throws or dimensions like the plans call for.  Don't pay much attention to this better-to-bash bunch.  (The BBB)

Dave
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 11:24:16 AM by Dave_Trible »
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2013, 11:02:04 AM »
Aligned, stiff and matched from side to side -- if one is stiffer than the other you'll get a bit of roll every time you turn.  Don't hesitate to throw away one or both of the flaps that came with the kit.

I vastly prefer pinned hinges.  Put in at least four hinges: I think the Sig Twister plans call out three on a side.  I was given a plane that had six on each flap, and it worked just fine.

Make sure that the center lines of all the hinges and the pivot for the flap horn are all aligned.  If you don't get this right the flaps will tend to spring to some preferred location.  Also make sure that everything is free.  The worse the misalignment, the worse it'll happen.  I generally cut the slots for my flaps when the plane is still in bare wood, then test the fit by putting them together dry.  You should be able to assemble the flaps with the horn and everything and have them flop down under their own weight in both directions (wing upright and inverted).  If there's friction or spring, figure out what the problem is and fix it.

If you glue everything in solid, do it after the plane is fully covered but before paint.  My preference is to make the flaps removable by replacing the hinge pins with one length of music wire, and putting a brass tube in the flap to receive the flap horn, but that's probably too much work for your first flapped plane.  After you glue the hinges in check for friction again.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here