News:

• May 01, 2024, 06:16:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: DISTORTED CANOPY  (Read 1170 times)

Offline Greg L Bahrman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
DISTORTED CANOPY
« on: July 28, 2007, 07:00:53 PM »
I don't know what happened, maybe the heat here in So. Ca. especially in the garage. Canopy looked fine when it was finished. I went in the garage the other day and it was distorted all to heck. So I removed it and will replace it with another. DANG IT !! The new one is a little shorter than the original so I have to fill the old groove where it was and re-do it.
Greg Bahrman, AMA 312522
Simi Valley, Ca.

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
Re: DISTORTED CANOPY
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2007, 08:20:45 PM »
You wont want to hear this but if it was me, I would just carve a wood one sense it's black anyway.
AMA 12366

Offline Dick Fowler

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2007, 08:28:05 PM »
Greg, did you spray paint the canopy after installation?
Dick Fowler AMA 144077
Kent, OH
Akron Circle Burners Inc. (Note!)
North Coast Control Liners Size 12 shoe  XXL Supporter

Offline Greg L Bahrman

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2007, 08:37:56 PM »
Dick,
No.....Actually I sprayed the inside black before installation. Except I taped the edges where it was glued to the fuse. There was nothing on the outside.

Robert,
That's a good idea I never thought of that.
Greg Bahrman, AMA 312522
Simi Valley, Ca.

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2007, 06:33:26 AM »
Greg, It's a bummer about the canopy. I woder if moisture in a sealed area like that might expand and distort it when it heats up.  How about putting a pilot in the new one?
Frank Carlisle

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • Me and my Chief Engineer
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2007, 12:44:22 PM »
Greg, It's a bummer about the canopy. I woder if moisture in a sealed area like that might expand and distort it when it heats up.  How about putting a pilot in the new one?

...who will, do what?  Absorb said trapped moisture?  Hold the canopy against distortion?  Ummmm, if all else fails, eject through it?  Inquiring minds want to know the mechanics of this solution. (Appropriate HappyFace here)

--Ray
--Ray 
Roseville MN (St. Paul suburb, Arctic Circle)
AMA902472

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2007, 03:25:02 PM »
Well Ray, There is humidity inside the plane ( I'm sure you've seen canopies fog up at the circle). Since the canopy is an open space, sealed plus painted black, it can get pretty hot in there. The expanding air could possibly distort the canopy if it builds up enough pressure.
When I have a canopy that fogs I drill a 1/32 hole in it somewhere to let the gasses escape.
Frank Carlisle

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • Me and my Chief Engineer
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2007, 09:27:04 AM »
Well, I meant, what does the pilot have to do with it?  Just the way you put that reply together tickled me, as if the pilot was part of the solution.  I could picture a little guy with a Windex bottle and a paper towel, scrubbing away on the inside of the canopy. No answer necessary, just goofing around.

--Ray
--Ray 
Roseville MN (St. Paul suburb, Arctic Circle)
AMA902472

Offline Greg L Bahrman

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2007, 07:46:53 PM »
I got the canopy painted on the inside and the old groove filled (Super-Fil) where I had to dremel around the old canopy to remove it. Carbon mat over the wood area. Maybe sand it tomorrow and fit the new one in place.
Greg Bahrman, AMA 312522
Simi Valley, Ca.

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2007, 06:37:16 PM »
Well Ray, There is humidity inside the plane ( I'm sure you've seen canopies fog up at the circle). Since the canopy is an open space, sealed plus painted black, it can get pretty hot in there. The expanding air could possibly distort the canopy if it builds up enough pressure.
When I have a canopy that fogs I drill a 1/32 hole in it somewhere to let the gasses escape.
AMEN AND AMEN...RIGHT ON! Frank...EXTREMELY IMPORTANT TO ALLOW FOR VENTING...ESPECIALLY ON A NEW FINISH AS IT TAKES TIME-TIME-TIME. The air temp increases...SO DOES THE GASSIN' OFF OF THINNERS ETC! When all that pressure builds up inside that small bubble---------AMAZINGLY UGLY THINGEEES CAN HAPPEN!!!

Ben Madsen (an amazingly gifted scale model builder, and painter) gave me that tip years ago...that a hole to the outside usually is not necessary.....if some  escape area in the canopy is open to the inner fuselage area....and any moisture or thinner gassing should easily find its pathway out of the fuselage at some point...n'allthatjazz :P ~^
Don Shultz

Offline Greg L Bahrman

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2007, 06:57:37 PM »
I finally got the new canopy mounted. Not quite done but close. I need to sand around the canopy and apply another layer of super fil to smooth out the highs and lows. Then I think we will be good to go. This new canopy is a little shorter by approx.  3/4 inch or so. Actually I think I like the looks a little better.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2007, 10:59:03 PM by Greg L Bahrman »
Greg Bahrman, AMA 312522
Simi Valley, Ca.

Offline Greg L Bahrman

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2007, 08:37:18 PM »
Well we're getting a little closer to finishing this repair project. Boy, adding the primer coats really shows the flaws. Nothing serious just a little more work with the sandpaper.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2007, 04:32:49 PM by Greg L Bahrman »
Greg Bahrman, AMA 312522
Simi Valley, Ca.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here