News:

• May 22, 2024, 02:46:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Silk and Dope Question  (Read 947 times)

Offline Shawn Kuntz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
  • Ringmasters Forever!
Silk and Dope Question
« on: August 19, 2007, 05:12:55 PM »
I have colored silk from Sig for my Ringmaster wing.  Usually I brush dope on silk and paint over the silk.  This time I am going to leave the silk as is with just a clear dope finish.  I also have an air compressor and a hobby type spray gun with a 4 oz. cup.  What would give me the best looking finish?  Should I brush the dope or spray it?
Shawn Kuntz
Bismarck, North Dakota USA

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
Re: Silk and Dope Question
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2007, 06:27:29 PM »
One would think the spraying would yield a better finish, but with silk, dope and a Ringmaster properly thinned, brushing might have the look you want. Whatever you decide you'll need to come up with pictures. y1 y1 y1
Leester
ama 830538

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2007, 07:13:43 PM »
The problem with brushing dope on silk is run through, where blobs of dope accumulate on the inside and dry to give a mottled appearance.  I deal with this by brushing the first coat about 70% thinner, 30% dope.  The run through is inconsequential.  You want dope to go through as it will make the silk more transparent. Couple of coats like that then thicken up the dope a little.  Keep brushing and thickening until all the pinholes are filled, then put on enough coats to get the degree of shine you want. 

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2007, 07:18:43 PM »
What Jim said.
Jim Kraft

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2007, 10:02:45 AM »
George Aldrich clued me in to a great technique for doping silk.  He recommended use of a disposable foam brush.  You just dip about 1/4" of the end into the dope and then gently draw the brush across the silk.  You get really long strokes, and rarely have brush through.  If you do get a puddle inside, just turn the model upside down and brush from underneath to draw the dope back out again.  I used that technique the last two silk jobs, and his advice proved golden.
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • Me and my Chief Engineer
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2007, 08:08:16 PM »
I was just going to suggest that, Larry--we used to hold the model overhead and brush from underneath.  Except using a standard brush. (Didn't have foam brushes back when I was still using silk and dope). Absolutely no accumulating on the inside.  Also a pretty good isometric exercise for the arms...

--Ray
--Ray 
Roseville MN (St. Paul suburb, Arctic Circle)
AMA902472

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2007, 09:03:28 AM »
I was just going to suggest that, Larry--we used to hold the model overhead and brush from underneath.  Except using a standard brush. (Didn't have foam brushes back when I was still using silk and dope). Absolutely no accumulating on the inside.  Also a pretty good isometric exercise for the arms...

--Ray

Hi Ray,

I have mentioned that technique several times before.  It really does work! y1  ;D
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Tom Perry

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2007, 01:51:31 PM »

--Ray

Ray,

Do the foam brushes hold up and not melt when using dope?  If they work I will try them.  In the past I used pieces of cotton flannel (Cloth baby diapers) cut into strips and folded over my regular brush.  Dont over thin the dope and hold panel upside down.  Just drag across the silk and it fills pretty quick.

I havn't done this myself but have heard of using cornstarch in the dope to thicken is for the first coat.

AP^
Tight lines,

Tom Perry
 Norfolk, Virginia

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • Me and my Chief Engineer
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2007, 05:26:35 PM »
Foam brushes work fine with dope, don't react with it...I don't know about cleaning with thinner, etc.  though.  I just throw 'em away after one use, when I use them at all.

--Ray
--Ray 
Roseville MN (St. Paul suburb, Arctic Circle)
AMA902472

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here