Building Tips and technical articles. > Building techniques

DARMA SILK SAGGY

<< < (2/4) > >>

Howard Rush:
Brodak is nontautening or close to it.  I had the same problem with silk.  Windy advised me to put some Sig Supercoat over it.  It tightened right up.  Randolph tautenting will tighten it, too.

doug coursey:

--- Quote from: Dennis Toth on May 25, 2022, 12:21:56 PM ---Agree with Tom, keep going with the 50/50 clear (full strength slows down the tightening) and around coat 8 it will tighten. BTW Brodak crystal clear does not shrink as much as SIG Super Coat Clear (done use SIG Lite-coat it is non-shrink). I had the same thing happen on my El Diablo. I hadn't done a silk covering open bay for 20 years and I thought it would be like riding a bike. Well, it was except the dope has changed. I put it on and it was tight and really nice. Then I started with the clear and got just what happen to you - saggy loose silk. After the 4th coat I was considering ripping it off but I posted on here and they said just keep going and they were right.

Best,    DennisT

I used the regular brodak clear not the crystal clear...i has 4 coats of which 2 were full strength and it real loose...i think i read somewhere you had to get the sizing out of the silk before putting it on... its the 8mm silk and not even close to being filled

--- End quote ---

doug coursey:

--- Quote from: Howard Rush on May 25, 2022, 01:43:39 PM ---Brodak is nontautening or close to it.  I had the same problem with silk.  Windy advised me to put some Sig Supercoat over it.  It tightened right up.  Randolph tautenting will tighten it, too.

--- End quote ---
Im going to try the sig super coat,i put 6 coats of the brodak clear ( not the crystal clear) and its  still really bad this is the 8mm silk. tried the 5mm silk and it was better but still not completely tight. i do believe its a dope problem..back in the day we used silk and dope from the airport and it worked real good.

Dennis Toth:
Doug,
If you use the SIG clear use the Super Coat Clear not the Lite Coat. Do 50/50 with either SIG thinner or Brodak/Randoph thinner, don't use hardware store thinner. Keep going it will tighten may need several more coats cause it is thicker.

Best,   DennisT

Shorts,David:

--- Quote from: Howard Rush on May 25, 2022, 01:43:39 PM ---Brodak is nontautening or close to it.  I had the same problem with silk.  Windy advised me to put some Sig Supercoat over it.  It tightened right up.  Randolph tautenting will tighten it, too.

--- End quote ---
I used darma red 8mm and it was saggy until I used sig super coat. Tightened it right up after a couple thinned coats. Unfortunately not very fuel proof.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version