Building Tips and technical articles. > Building techniques

DARMA SILK SAGGY

<< < (4/4)

doug coursey:
Im using brodak thinner...i live in florida...i have the brodak retarder...

doug coursey:

--- Quote from: Dan McEntee on June 15, 2022, 11:35:44 AM ---    What kind of thinner are you using? If a touch of retarder doesn't work for you, you may want to consult an automotive paint supply shop and see what he has in slower acting thinners. I can't remember the old DuPont numbers and everything else ahs changed so might as well start fresh and tell them what you are doing, and what your problem is, and they can guide you to the correct product. It will probably be pricey, so just save it for those special projects and use the cheaper stuff for everything else and cleaning your gun.

Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee 
problem is i bought a bunch of brodak paint to use one brand of paint..the brodak clear might work with silkspan but not silk

--- End quote ---

Dan McEntee:
   Well, I don't think you will have any problem using the SIG as a base under the Brodak colors. Look into Brodak dope and ask if they use a non tautening dope as the base for it. All of SIG's color dope is based on their Lite Coat low shrink dope. If the Brodak are not low or non shrink dope, just order in some Dave Brown Flex-All to add to the thinned colors when ready to spray. It is a plasticizer and will keep the dope from continuously shrinking. In the old days they just added some castor oil to thinned dope to do the same thing, and IO think that is what Flex-All is, going from a simple taste test with medicinal castor. Make up a few test panels and let each coat dry thoroughly and give adequate time to gas off a bit. Light sanding in between coats too held adhesion. This may take some extra time but at least you will know what you have and what will work. Keep the list posted on what you find out.
   Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee

doug coursey:

--- Quote from: Dan McEntee on June 15, 2022, 03:59:09 PM ---   Well, I don't think you will have any problem using the SIG as a base under the Brodak colors. Look into Brodak dope and ask if they use a non tautening dope as the base for it. All of SIG's color dope is based on their Lite Coat low shrink dope. If the Brodak are not low or non shrink dope, just order in some Dave Brown Flex-All to add to the thinned colors when ready to spray. It is a plasticizer and will keep the dope from continuously shrinking. In the old days they just added some castor oil to thinned dope to do the same thing, and IO think that is what Flex-All is, going from a simple taste test with medicinal castor. Make up a few test panels and let each coat dry thoroughly and give adequate time to gas off a bit. Light sanding in between coats too held adhesion. This may take some extra time but at least you will know what you have and what will work. Keep the list posted on what you find out.
   Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee

--- End quote ---

I will ck with brodak but im pretty sure all their dope is low shrink..at least their clear butyrate is... I asked about their Nitrate and it is non tautening

doug coursey:
Used the sig supercoat and it tightened up real good.the 7mm silk takes a lot more dope to fill the weave than the 5mm..I have at least 10 coats on the 7mm silk and its still not  filled...I put 2 coats of brodak crystal clear over sig dope and it worked ok with no problems...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version