Building Tips and technical articles. > Building techniques

DARMA SILK SAGGY

(1/4) > >>

doug coursey:
i  got some colored silk HABOTAI 8MM ..put in wet  after drying 2 coats of 50-50 brodak clear and it wrinkled real bad.. put on a coat of full strenght and its still wrinked

Tim Wescott:
Was it tautening or non-tautening clear?  I haven't covered with silk, but my understanding is that you need to use the tautening clear for the first few coats.  Like silkspan but -- apparently -- worse.

doug coursey:

--- Quote from: Tim Wescott on May 25, 2022, 08:20:14 AM ---Was it tautening or non-tautening clear?  I haven't covered with silk, but my understanding is that you need to use the tautening clear for the first few coats.  Like silkspan but -- apparently -- worse.

--- End quote ---
Yes it was

Tom Luciano:
This seems to be typical today. after 5 coats or so it will tighten back up. I've silked at least 6 planes in the last 10 years and have experienced this on all. Keep doping!!

Best of luck,
Tom

Dennis Toth:
Agree with Tom, keep going with the 50/50 clear (full strength slows down the tightening) and around coat 8 it will tighten. BTW Brodak crystal clear does not shrink as much as SIG Super Coat Clear (done use SIG Lite-coat it is non-shrink). I had the same thing happen on my El Diablo. I hadn't done a silk covering open bay for 20 years and I thought it would be like riding a bike. Well, it was except the dope has changed. I put it on and it was tight and really nice. Then I started with the clear and got just what happen to you - saggy loose silk. After the 4th coat I was considering ripping it off but I posted on here and they said just keep going and they were right.

Best,    DennisT

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version