News:

• April 27, 2024, 12:20:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Another fiberglas question  (Read 912 times)

Offline James Mills

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Another fiberglas question
« on: January 02, 2007, 08:40:29 PM »
For you guys who have used the Magnum 36, how many layers do I need on the nose (1,2, or ...)?

Thanks,

James
AMA 491167

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Another fiberglas question
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2007, 09:54:13 AM »
If the nose construction is built according to the plans/instruction I would not use anything more than a light weight fiber glas material.  I use the light weight instead of carbon veil.  It is put down using water based poly-urethane clear.  Of course the wood has a coat of the same stuff before the glas.  The first coat is sanded as smooth as you can get it.  I think Al Rabe uses fiber glas on the whole fuselage of his planes.  If done right it can be as light or lighter than a dope finish.  My opinion, DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline eric conley

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2007, 01:26:28 PM »
I have always used silkspan and dope and have been pretty pleased with the results. On my latest plane I used silkspan and Minwax water based Polycrylic and it seems to me that its not as stiff or as light as when I use dope. It does seem to be more dent resistant. Does anyone know if the Polycrylic is heavier than dope or epozy? eric

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2007, 03:51:09 PM »
I suppose it depends on whether you think you really need it. I've used half ounce glass on the nose put down with nitrate, butyrate and thinned epoxy (on different planes, not at the same time    ;)  ) and they all work fine. I've used CF veil and dope or epoxy and it has worked fine. I've just used silkspan and dope and it has also worked fine. It depends on what you think you need. For an ST60, I might go with fiberglass if I thought I would get a lot of vibration, for instance.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline James Mills

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2007, 07:59:45 PM »
I guess I should have included what I was building.  It's a Shaffer Hallmark with the Magnum 36 and just want to make sure I dampen any vibration.  Built pretty much as shown on plans, only change was using Morris controls.  I usually use lite weight fiberglass on the nose but have never used this motor and haven't actually built anything this small in a long while.

Thanks,

James
AMA 491167

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2007, 11:43:34 PM »
HI JAmes,

Like I said somewhere else, a layer of 1/2 oz. cloth will be more than enough.  The Magnum has very little vibration, almost none if compared to a ST 60 or even a stock Fox 35.

We have built a couple of planes for the Magnum 36, none have needed a beefed up nose.  In fact, they can even go "down" a touch from what the practice was when Gene built the Hallmark.  1/32 ply doublers would be fine, and he probably used 1/16th ply.  I don't know, I don't have the Hallmark plans, but that was common then.  Vibration is just not the same problem with these newer engines.

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here