News:

• May 23, 2024, 02:29:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Small, but not 1/2A Cub .074 Diesel  (Read 727 times)

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Small, but not 1/2A Cub .074 Diesel
« on: May 08, 2010, 06:08:10 PM »
I just finished restoring and improving (I hope) a Cub .074 diesel.  I removed the burrs in the bypasses and crank port and replaced the needle with a Cox RTF needle (worked great on a couple of other cubs).  It currently has a 7x4 Tornado prop on it.  That seems about right, but I could use some input, as I have never run a diesel this size.

I plan to build a Wee Duper Zilch for next year's VSC and it has little tank room.  I figure the .074 on a VERY LIGHT model will fly well, and use way less fuel than the original .099 glow.

PS.  Any hints or kinks on the Zilch?  I plan to redo the plans in CAD and get Eric Rule to laser cut it.  If you guys think this is a PLAN and want copies, when I am done, contact me or Eric.
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Small, but not 1/2A Cub .074 Diesel
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2010, 06:39:59 PM »
7x4 would be a good size for an 049 diesel.  I'd try bigger, just to see how it goes.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline philip metzner

• chevyiron420
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010, 03:28:25 AM »
Larry, my DC Merlin had a .125 spray bar, and i broke it. I also replaced it with a cox unit. I think the cox spray bar measured about .117. My engine runs good until the nose gets pointed up and she leans out and quits. Your cub may not do this but i think the original spray bar was .125 also on the cub so i thought i would say something. I have heard that a nva from a PAW diesel may be a better choice and i called DR. Diesel about it but he wouldnt give me any dimensions. By the way, my little diesel loves Davis 1\2a fuel and i bet yours will too.

Offline George

• Admiral
  • Love people, Use things.
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2010, 06:25:24 PM »
Larry,

If you have trouble finding a needle, I always had good luck with my Cub .074 diesel using the original needle assembly by adding a little taper to the needle.

Good choice on prop size. I used to get the dickens smacked out of my fingers trying 6" props.  n1

I always wanted to try strip ribs on a Little Duper Zilch. Some day...

George
George Bain
AMA 23454

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here