News:

• June 16, 2024, 03:28:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: GLUE INCLUDED IN KITS  (Read 2775 times)

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
GLUE INCLUDED IN KITS
« on: April 13, 2010, 09:18:49 AM »
     Black Hawk Models will be including a tube of "Sigment" cement and a piece of sandpaper in some of our kits. Currently it will be included in the "American Flyer" and the "Tethered Trainer" ( a 1940's kit). The new "Cyclone Hawk" will also get the cement. There will NOT be an increase in the price of these kits. Each kit with the added cement will be labled "WARNING, Model Cement Included, DO NOT SELL TO MINORS".
     We are hoping that this will make it easier for the beginner so that he does not need to try to find model cement.
Larry

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: GLUE INCLUDED IN KITS
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 05:32:20 PM »
When I was a kid many moons/years ago did not know about the model airplane glues like Testors and Ambroid.  Used the old DUCO Household cement on many a model plane.  The old stick and tissues Comet kits up thru the gas control line.  I am glad someone is thinking of the beginners.  H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline George

• Admiral
  • Love people, Use things.
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 09:30:11 PM »
I think my first cement was Comet. Next came Testors, Ambroid, Duco, and Sig.

I remember one friend was relegated to using "Stanley" cement because his mother sold Stanley Home Products.  ;D

Larry...nice touch.

George
George Bain
AMA 23454

Offline 50+AirYears

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 01:36:58 PM »
I think my first cement from about 1948 was LePages.  Anybody remember trying to turn the screweye into the end of the tubes back then?  Actually twisted a couple open that way.
Believe it or not, I still have a sealed 20 cc metal tube of Ambroid from maybe the late 50s.  It came in an old Ambroid 1 in 5000 HO scale wood railroad car kit.  The glue seems to still be liquid and useable.
Tony

Offline George

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010, 09:33:48 PM »
... Anybody remember trying to turn the screweye into the end of the tubes back then?  Actually twisted a couple open that way.
Believe it or not, I still have a sealed 20 cc metal tube of Ambroid from maybe the late 50s. 

Yep! You had to push and turn at the same time.

I also remember using those screw-eyes as pushrod guides.  ;D

George
George Bain
AMA 23454

Offline 50+AirYears

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2010, 01:13:05 PM »
I kind of recall those old days every time I'm in a craft store and see packs of those screw eyes.
Tony

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • Me and my Chief Engineer
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2010, 01:08:46 AM »
...and the rolled-up empty tubes as wingtip weights.
--Ray 
Roseville MN (St. Paul suburb, Arctic Circle)
AMA902472

Offline George

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2010, 06:18:19 PM »
...and the rolled-up empty tubes as wingtip weights.

Oh yeah!!!

George
George Bain
AMA 23454

Offline roger

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2010, 04:06:37 AM »
wow

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2010, 08:09:38 AM »
I had forgot about the screw eyes in the glue tubes.  Wait til you get a kit that had a tube of glue in it fro0m back then.  Picked up the tube and thought it was very light.  It was an empty tube as the glue had disappeared some where.  The had not been oened either.  H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline 50+AirYears

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2010, 07:05:20 PM »
This old tube I have goes one better.  You have to use a straight pin to puncture the tip seal.  I remember having tubes I could puncture holding a straight pin by hand, and others that almost needed a hammer and nail.  They could bend a T pin using a pair of needle nosed pliers.

Of course, I didn't build my first kits using tube cement.  The nght of my 4th birthday, I snuck my birthday presents into my room and using a jar lid I picked up somewhere, I assembled 2 Strombecker wood ships using the dry caesin glue mixed with my saliva.  Really surprised my dad the next morning.  He and Mom hadn't realized I could read well enough to follow the instructions, and figure out the difference between the pack of glue and the pack of wood sealer.

I built quite a few of those Strombecker kits when they were available.  In fact, I still have one, an F-94B.
Tony

Offline George

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2010, 08:44:50 AM »
This old tube I have goes one better.  You have to use a straight pin to puncture the tip seal.  I remember having tubes I could puncture holding a straight pin by hand, and others that almost needed a hammer and nail.  They could bend a T pin using a pair of needle nosed pliers.

Geez...I remember those! I remember using pliers to hold the pins to be able to puncture the tubes. I think I was using straight pins. Probably had not yet discovered T-pins. I think my tubes had no markings...just the metal tubes.

George
George Bain
AMA 23454

Offline George

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2010, 08:50:09 AM »
Larry,

Apologies for hijacking your thread. We seem to have gotten way off subject.

I noticed in your initial entry about putting a warning about not selling to minors...is selling glue to minors prohibited now?

George
George Bain
AMA 23454

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2010, 11:46:19 AM »
The stuff you can get high on, M.E.K. is illegal to sell to minors.  The few places that carry Ambroid keep it behind the counter.

Home Depot has gallons of M.E.K. for $17.95, not behind the counter.  If you must get high on fumes, don't waste good Ambroid.
Paul Smith

Offline 50+AirYears

• Commander
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2010, 01:18:31 PM »
The warnings aren't really that new.

I remember about 1962-63 the owner of an LHS commenting on the attempts (or maybe actual laws enacted) trying to prevent sales of any cements or solvent based paints to minors.  Most of the HS owners knew the difference between regular minor customers who'd buy a tube of glue, maybe a couple bottles of Aerogloss or Testor's or Comet dope for model aircraft building, and the junkies who'd try to by 5 or 10 or even more tubes at a time for what is now called huffing.  I was there on at least one occasion when he refused to sell a couple cans of AG Dope Thinner to a bloodshot eyed runny nosed kid after selling me a couple cans of dope, a pint of the thinner, and a large tube of Ambroid. He'd on several occasions actually delayed a couple people while his wife called in the authorities on that type.  Even managed to put the cops onto a small local pusher group that was getting people to go into stores and buy or steal tubes and bottles for them.  Took about 6 sellers, 3 or 4 hundred pounds of pot, and large quantities of Heroin and LSD out of circulation.  Most of the other hobby shops did similar things. A lot of business people back then had a real sense of civic responsibility.
Tony

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2010, 11:16:36 PM »
The stuff you can get high on, M.E.K. is illegal to sell to minors.  The few places that carry Ambroid keep it behind the counter.

I see it on the shelves at all the shops I go to- including the local "Hobby Lobby". It's pretty easy to get "huffable" items these days without going to the hobby shop. 

Brett

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2010, 11:26:54 PM »
     I am sorry but I have been out of town so did not see the chats.
     Most states prohibit the sale of toluene, a chemical in cement. We label the kits to remind that the store owners that they must watch local laws. It is the toluene that gets you high at the cost of a few brain cells. MEK soaks into the skin and winds up in the blood system, it can stay in your system for life. I used it for a couple of years in the 60's and sometimes I can still smell it when I an doing bodily functions.
Larry

Offline George

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2010, 12:25:11 PM »
Anyone remember back in the late fifties when manufacturers put oil of mustard (I think) in cement to deter kids from sniffing it?

I think most modelers wondered why someone would waste perfectly good cement to get high.  ;D

George
George Bain
AMA 23454

Offline 50+AirYears

• Commander
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2010, 02:59:27 PM »
I remember that being discussed in an American Modeler magazine back probably when I was in 7th or 8th grade.  I think the first time I actually saw (smelled?) it was in a tube of Duco cement.  Or maybe one of the plastic cements.  About 20 years ago, I bought or found in a kit a tube of imported cement that was labeled as having an irritating odorant in it to discourage sniffing.  Thought of it as being false advertising, since it smelled more citrussy, like fresh orange.

I guess I never had all that much overdose on thinners, or I was one of the people who is somewhat resistant.  Or maybe just the fact that I usually worked near an open window or doped outside helped, because even now, at 66, I usually measure over 100% of my calculated lung capacity on pulmanory tests, and on the treadmill, I don't breathe hard and barely get to my target heart rate and blood pressure on my occasinal stress tests.  And about the only hallucinations I can remember having are when I get stuck listening to political ranters.  Or reality TV shows.  Too bad I didn't have the same luck with my hearing after over 60 years working with engines of all kinds.
Tony

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here