News:

• May 08, 2024, 04:08:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Quikee Stunt, Blackhawk style - new build  (Read 6598 times)

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Quikee Stunt, Blackhawk style - new build
« on: December 15, 2009, 11:17:53 PM »
I wrote about my idea for Quikee Stunt some time ago, but so far haven't found just the right vehicle to meet the rules.  Larry Rice suggested one of his Sure-Start powered planes and was kind enough to send a kit for my evaluation.  Here is the basic build.  I will mostly use clear finish on it, but some color trim and decals.  Power will be a pressurized Killer Bee.   VD~  The separate tank on the Bristol Bullet and Killer Bee engine should fix both problems.

Note the elevator droop.  I use Spiderwire in a figure-8 sewn hinge, and the elevator flops like that under its own weight.  A must for good 1/2A flying!  Oh, and with the doubled thread and 6 cross-overs, it would take 400 pounds of force to break the hinges.  Maybe the balsa would go first?

I have a Sig 1/2A Skyray, and it flies well, but with the Golden Bee, not enough power and with the Black Widow, not enough duration.  Also, it is way noseheavy when given a lightweight finish.  I shortened the nose 1/2" and still need tailweight!

Current thinking is to allow up to 1cc engines, rather than the Cox reed requirement.  I can't see requiring engines you can't get this side of e-Bay.

Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline stephen zachary

• New Pilot
Re: Quikee Stunt, Blackhawk style - new build
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 12:31:26 AM »
That a really nice looking model, looking forward to following the build :)

Offline Roger Vizioli

• CLiner
  • 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 06:57:57 AM »
I wrote about my idea for Quikee Stunt some time ago, but so far haven't found just the right vehicle to meet the rules.  Larry Rice suggested one of his Sure-Start powered planes and was kind enough to send a kit for my evaluation.  Here is the basic build.  I will mostly use clear finish on it, but some color trim and decals...............

Larry,
Great idea, will follow your progress.
If you want to add some color with no weight penalty, try adding some Higgins Fade Proof Ink to your thinner before thinning the clear. See my El Diabl pic in the photo gallery section, district 5, last pic at the bottom. Wing is covered with white Polyspan.
Roger V.
Roger Vizioli
AMA L-2408
Florida/Space Coast

Offline Bill Barber

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 08:16:55 AM »
  Larry , most people won't be able to find a Cox killer Bee , if you had to buy a motor today it would be the Cox Int. product motor , Brodak 1/2A or the AP Wasp .061.
    Bill
AMA 325076

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2009, 08:36:35 AM »
Bill,
     Aside from Larry's special needs I would like to point out that this model was designed for the Cox Sure Start engine with the choke tube in place and that Larry has modified it to fit the Killer Bee. Cox is looking into making these type of engines available latter this year. We can only hope.
The other Larry

Offline Bill Barber

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2009, 09:14:27 AM »
 Larry , I have two of the original Killer Bees  left after trading a third one on a mouse racer for a Super Pow Wow . The Killer Bee was extremely competitive in the few mouse racers  I entered as a pilot [the pilot wasn't as good as the motor ] .
   My point was maybe Larry should use a standard Cox product motor . But if Cox Int. is planning to make a true killer Bee again then it makes sense . Like you said "one can only hope" .
    Also I am proposing to the Valley Circle Burners next meeting to do a 1cc Stunt for Cash contest at the Sepulveda Basin in late June . No trophies just cash ! Will do an update after the meeting Jan.16th 2010 .
   Bill Barber
AMA 325076

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2009, 07:33:41 PM »
I am taking a nice trainer and conveting it to a killer competition machine.  As Captain Kirk would tell Scotty "I need POWER NOW".  There is no substitute.  Trainers fly on 26' to 35' lines of dacron.  I need to fly on 40+ ft of .008 steel and get good line tension overhead.  Stay posted for my progress.

The 4 gospels of stunt are "Size, Shape, Intersections and Bottoms".  If you ain't got them all, you ain't going to stunt heaven.

DesignMan

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2009, 08:52:08 PM »
I am taking a nice trainer and conveting it to a killer competition machine.  As Captain Kirk would tell Scotty "I need POWER NOW".  There is no substitute.  Trainers fly on 26' to 35' lines of dacron.  I need to fly on 40+ ft of .008 steel and get good line tension overhead.  Stay posted for my progress.

The 4 gospels of stunt are "Size, Shape, Intersections and Bottoms".  If you ain't got them all, you ain't going to stunt heaven.
That said, the thread becomes increasingly more interesting!

Did you do anything extra to the nose area for reenforcement? I thought I was seeing something extra on the triangle stock behind the firewall.

Robert
Crop circles are simply open invitations to fly C/L!

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2009, 09:53:57 PM »
I got this one, Larry.
     The kit comes with doublers and triangles supports that fit behind the motor mount. The only other change was to fill in the 1/4" wide slot in the fuselage for the choke tube to fit into.
The other Larry

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2009, 05:31:43 PM »
Here is the model ready for final installation of the hardware.   Finish is 3 coats of butyrate dope (sanded between each coat with 600 grit), add the decals, and then two light coats of LusterKote clear gloss.  Man, that is at least a 5 point finish! (out of 20 possible)  But it is very light, and very fuelproof.  Perfect for what I need.  I can't imagine that even the large decals add detectable weight.  I still hope for around 5 ounces finished.  Less would be nice!

DesignMan

Offline Douglas Ames

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2009, 06:12:28 PM »
Note the elevator droop.  I use Spiderwire in a figure-8 sewn hinge, and the elevator flops like that under its own weight.  A must for good 1/2A flying!  Oh, and with the doubled thread and 6 crossovers, it would take 400 pounds of force to break the hinges.  Maybe the balsa would go first.

Could you post a close-up of the sewn hinges? What keeps the line from tearing through the balsa?
AMA 656546

If you do a little bit every day it will get done, or you can do it tomorrow.

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2009, 06:27:36 PM »
The line is spaced about 1/16" apart and 3/16" from the hinge line.  There is plenty of meat there to hold the elevator on, and the threads themselves have a huge margin of overstrength.  The number of loops is based on the balsa strength, not the thread.  I suspect two loops would suffice, but 4 in several locations doesn't cause any binding, so why not.

Figure eitht hinges have been outlined elsewhere, so do a search.  Basically, you run a needle and thread through one surface, pull it to near the end, glue the end.  Then up through the hinge joint and down through the other surface, up through the joint and down through the original surface.  Viewed from the side it forms a figure eight of threads.  When you have 3 or 4 eights, tighten up the thread, level the two surfaces and glue all the penetration points top and bottom, but not the thread where it goes between the surfaces.

Definitely my favorite hinge for 1/2A.

DesignMan

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2009, 07:13:28 PM »
When you have 3 or 4 eights, tighten up the thread, level the two surfaces and glue all the penetration points top and bottom, but not the thread where it goes between the surfaces.

Definitely my favorite hinge for 1/2A.
Mine too -- for RC as well as CL.

I like the way it moves, the fact that it's the World's Floppiest Hinge, and the fact that it's insensitive to the taper of the edges -- you can even make a figure 8 hinge on a pair of dead-square edges if you're in a hurry and don't care about aesthetics.  But a sloppy job makes for a poor working hinge, so pay attention!

I like to glue the thread with the smallest possible drop of CA at the starting needle hole, sew the hinge, then pull gentle tension on the thread while wiggling the hinge line up and down.  Doing both at the same time pulls the thread up good and snug, without having to yank on anything.  Then, while still holding tension on the thread, I put a dot of CA on the last needle hole and wait for it to set before letting tension off the thread.  Finally, I put a dot of glue in each needle hole, let things set, and trim off any excess thread at the starting and ending holes.  It's extra work, but it keeps the hinge tight where it needs to be tight -- just don't get glue on the actual hinge part, or it'll be tight where it needs to be loose.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2009, 01:31:20 PM »
Here is a close-up of a hinge.

DesignMan

Offline Douglas Ames

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2010, 07:38:35 AM »
Thanx for the pic. I've always had problems with 1/2A hinges. Too small or maybe my fingers grew?
AMA 656546

If you do a little bit every day it will get done, or you can do it tomorrow.

Offline Victor Jeffreys

• Lieutenant
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2010, 07:11:55 PM »
What is "spiderwire" and where does one get it?

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2010, 07:55:12 PM »
Spiderwire is a fishing line made of Spectra thread.  It is incredibly strong for its size and weight, and unlike Kevlar, is not prone to fraying from flexing and abrasion.  Unfortunately, Spiderwire has expanded its line to include monofilament nylon.  It is worthless for our purposes.  Be sure to get the woven or braided (multifilament) line only.

The stuff is good enough to use for flying lines!

Never try to cut it with scissors, it just won't.  You have to use a very sharp knife on a giving surface like wood or hard plastic.  Knots will slip unless you use a special one like the "Palomar Knot".  I just tie a square knot and fuse it with CA Glue.

The "Ultimate Handles" from RSM use Spiderwire for the leads.  Never had a failure.

DesignMan

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2010, 08:33:55 AM »
Spiderwire is a fishing line made of Spectra thread.  It is incredibly strong for its size and weight, and unlike Kevlar, is not prone to fraying from flexing and abrasion.  Unfortunately, Spiderwire has expanded its line to include monofilament nylon.  It is worthless for our purposes.  Be sure to get the woven or braided (multifilament) line only.

The stuff is good enough to use for flying lines!

Never try to cut it with scissors, it just won't.  You have to use a very sharp knife on a giving surface like wood or hard plastic.  Knots will slip unless you use a special one like the "Palomar Knot".  I just tie a square knot and fuse it with CA Glue.

The "Ultimate Handles" from RSM use Spiderwire for the leads.  Never had a failure.

Some kite line is also made of Spectra.  I have a local kite shop in North Alabama that keeps bulk spools in many pull tests.  He will sell it by the ft. His contact info is:

Forever Flying, L.L.C.
2528 Spring Ave, SW
Decatur, AL 35601-6345
Phone: (256) 308-0988
Fax: (256) 308-0658
Email: info@foreverflying.com
http://www.foreverflying.com/

Although not legal for AMA events I have used it for flying lines etc:  Good stuff!!

John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Victor Jeffreys

• Lieutenant
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2010, 07:49:23 PM »
Is Spiderwire strong enough say for flying a Ringmaster on 60' lines with a Fox .35??

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2010, 10:52:47 PM »
It comes in a variety of tensile strength levels.  For a Ringmaster, I would want at least 50 lb test, as the strength at the knots is compromised a bit.  I am not aware of anyone doing standard line ends with the stuff, but that could help a lot.  Be sure to bevel the inside ends of the tubing you use!!  I would make up a short sample and then pull test it to destruction.  For a .35 powered Ringmaster, I would want the test sample to hold at least 40 lb .  That gives you some margin for "oops".  In my experience, wire will stretch on impact, but Spiderwire will break.

DesignMan

Offline Graham Collins

• Lieutenant
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2010, 10:32:43 AM »
Is Spiderwire strong enough say for flying a Ringmaster on 60' lines with a Fox .35??

If my recollection is correct (sometimes is, sometimes isn't), last year Phil Cartier was promoting the idea of using this type of line for speed limit combat. I think he had a proposal in to the AMA board for a rule change to permit it's use but was turned down.  There was a thread (or several) on the topic on the Stuka Stunt Forum - a quick search should turn something up in quick order.

cheers, Graham in Ottawa Canada

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2010, 08:29:31 AM »
About 1/2 way down the page is some kite line. It comes with a line winder and sleeving for the ends.  The sleeving eliminates the breaking at the knot problem. Not legal for AMA events but will work.  It is the same material as Spider Wire only it has been polished to make it slide over each other.

http://www.foreverflying.com/access.html

75lb/75ft (Berry Blue-Line Spectra 2000 w/winder and straps) - $27.95
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2010, 10:25:48 AM »
Graham, the problem is there was not enough testing and writing about the results as far as safety to convince people of the use of the kite line.  As stated there were problems with knots on the terminations of the lines.  Until someone takes the time to do the pull tests and flying of the stuff to prove it is worthy it may never be accepted.  I think also the sizes would be bigger than the cable/wire we now use. HB~>
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2010, 11:03:25 AM »
Obviously I have a bunch of the stuff at my house because I fly two string stunt kites.  I have not tried kite string on say my Ringmaster however I have flown 1/2 A on some of the lighter stuff.  The only reason I would be temped to try it on a bigger plane is the fact it is bullet proof.  If some jerk steps on your lines on a grassy field they would not be damaged. I have had kids stomp all over my kite lines at the beach with no problem. By the way my 7' kite pulls like a bear. It will drag your feet in the sand on a windy day.  If set up properly their is no breakage problem. Also they are easy to wind up.  Having said all that I probably never will get around to trying it on a .35 size ship.  As the old saying goes if it ain't broke don't fix it.  For me steel lines work just fine.

H^^   Z@@ZZZ   Z@@ZZZ
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Ward Van Duzer

• Admiral
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2010, 09:59:54 AM »
So what size Spiderwire do you use for 1/2 A - .061 flying lines? Is spiderwire the only workable brand? there is also PowerPro, made of spectra, and probably many others today. The PowerPro 8 lb test is 0.005 dia.

W
I hate spelling errors, you mess up 2 letters and you are urined!

Don't hesitate to ask dumb questions.
They are easier to handle than dumb mistakes!  Ward-O AMA 6022

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2010, 05:23:42 PM »
So what size Spiderwire do you use for 1/2 A - .061 flying lines? Is spiderwire the only workable brand? there is also PowerPro, made of spectra, and probably many others today. The PowerPro 8 lb test is 0.005 dia.

W
I am not familiar with fishing line but I would think any line that was made of Spectra and is braided (vs monafiliment) has to work.  The beauty of the Spectra family of string is that it has almost no stretch.  I have found that new Spectra lines need to be set by stretching.  After I make up a set of lines I hook one end to a nail on the garage door jam.  With the controll handle attached to the other end I give a big pull.  Obviously you need to stop short of breaking the line but I can feel the line give a little till it "bottoms out".  At this point the line becomes as stiff as wire. A better methoid would be to use a pull test scale but I dont have one. Good stuff for 1/2 A lines.

#^
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Ward Van Duzer

• Admiral
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2010, 09:00:11 AM »
So, what size SpiderWire do you use for 1/2 A - .061 flying?

W.

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2010, 10:03:45 AM »
I use the smallest stuff I can find, it is still overkill!

DesignMan

Offline Ward Van Duzer

• Admiral
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2010, 01:38:57 PM »
Thx.

W.

Offline Mark Misegadis

• Commander
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2010, 09:34:16 PM »
I've had the conversation about Spiderwire with a few and never get a "Specific" answer on what flavor is used. I have some that I bought that I am sure is the wrong stuff as it breaks very easily.

Box Color
Model Name
Test

Any of the sources for the stuff carry different "models" of the stuff. (Referring to "Spiderwire" as the Make.. if you will to make this more clear)

Mark

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2010, 07:45:43 AM »
I've had the conversation about Spiderwire with a few and never get a "Specific" answer on what flavor is used. I have some that I bought that I am sure is the wrong stuff as it breaks very easily.

Box Color
Model Name
Test

Any of the sources for the stuff carry different "models" of the stuff. (Referring to "Spiderwire" as the Make.. if you will to make this more clear)

Mark
What I use is 30-50 lb Spectra kite line. 20 lb would do

http://www.foreverflying.com/access.html

Go down to the middle of the page till you see Blue Line.

Call and ask for Shawn.
Phone: (256) 308-0988
Fax: (256) 308-0658
Email: info@foreverflying.com

Manager: Shawn E. Donahoo

Shawn knowes more about Spectria style flying line than you could ever imagine
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 08:49:00 AM by John Rist »
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2010, 09:04:09 AM »
Pardon my interuption of all this talk about spiderwire and sewing hinges onto models to ask a question about the subject of this topic.
Larry, how did the plane fly?

Larry

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2010, 11:49:50 AM »
Between a month of daily grandkid care and a couple of weeks of a really bad case of Bronchitis (can you say "dial 911 and transport to emergency room?"), it isn't finished.  It is way noseheavy, so I need to shorten the nose at least 1/2 inch.  The wood was TOO good, I guess, and the clear finish weighs about nothing.  I hope to "get back on the horse" this week.

Going flying with Andy Borgogna tomorrow, so I must be feeling better!

DesignMan

Offline Mark Misegadis

• Commander
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2010, 12:31:20 PM »
Bill,
     Aside from Larry's special needs I would like to point out that this model was designed for the Cox Sure Start engine with the choke tube in place and that Larry has modified it to fit the Killer Bee. Cox is looking into making these type of engines available latter this year. We can only hope.
The other Larry

Hi Larry,

Back to your kit and the mission at hand.

As far as this modication goes. Sure Start or Killer Bee both have the exact same mounting pattern. These Horseshoe shaped firewalls are the same for both engines with the exceptions of the snorkel. When I have ran the SStarts I pull the screws and remove the snorkel. Then it exactly the same. I also shorten up the needle Valve.  What I am saying here is that it should have worked "Stock" and the modification probably had more to do with the removal of the "extra material" below the engine in the stock configuration for the weight savings and appearance sake.

It is a neat looking plane and I think its great that its set up to run with the Snorkel on. This should have been done a very long time ago. If I were a young person I would like to see the photos that you take of the Captain Blackhawk "Here is what your buying"  model with the "Tank on including the fuel line"  Its not that we cant figure it out but I can tell you that everyone will refer back to the box when building one of these.

Larry Rengor,  Get better and we all look forward to the results. I have engines ready to hang on a copy after you make it work.

Mark

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2010, 10:38:14 PM »
I mentioned a guide that I made for doing thread hinges.  Here it is.

DesignMan

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2010, 10:08:57 AM »
Mark,

There are several reasons that we do not show the fuel tank on the box art or in pictures. I do not want to be the person who tells you which fuel tank to use or not to use. Any fuel tank of appropreate size may be used, square, round, rectangle, wedge or balloon may be used and as to the location and fuel line placement ...
     Okay here is a question for all of you: On a profile model where would you place a fuel tank other than on the right side of the fuselage with the fuel feed lined up to the engine air intake. Now I do not mean to belittle anyone or anger anyone I just do not know and I have been asked by old time experanced modelers where the fuel tank goes, so if you have somewhere else to put it please let me know. Type of tank for stunt should be a wedge tank but any other will work. Fuel line should run in any direction as long as it is as short as posibable and does not kink.
     We do not show controls and fuel tanks on box art, and this is true of most companies, because it makes the model less attractive, these items are saved for on the plans.
Thank You for the question and please do not be offended as I know that you are only trying to help.
Larry
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 01:58:33 PM by LARRY RICE »

Offline Mark Misegadis

• Commander
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2010, 11:35:28 AM »
We do not show controls and fuel tanks on box art, and this is true of most companies, because it makes the model less attractive, these items are saved for on the plans.
Thank You for the question and please do not be offended as I know that you are only trying to help.
Larry

No Worries Larry, As long as the tank information as well as fuel line routing information is available somewhere. I know that this is targeted at beginners. Plus.. most of the young ones arent as handy as they were when I was a kid. Even I had unfinished hobby things from my younger days because the plans had an unpublished list of "assumed knowledge."

Mark

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2010, 04:06:29 PM »
"Okay here is a question for all of you: On a profile model where would you place a fuel tank other than on the right side of the fuselage with the fuel feed lined up to the engine air intake."

Larry, I think most of us grew up and were told that the tank should go to the outside of the circle, or the right side like the bigger ships.

In the past few days I have come to disagree to this for some Cox engines.
I say this because of what I learned earlier in life that the tank pick up tube should be in line with the spray bar. This is true.
These days when using an engine where that spray bar location is pretty much centered on the firewall, locating the tank on the inboard or left side of the fuselage would be the most logical place for the tank. 
This should hold true with other reedies and even front rotor engine types when radially mounted with the cylinder up, down or to the left.

Rotary intake engines with the cylinder mounted to the right or outside of the flying circle would need the tank on the right side.

Robert   

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2010, 05:20:05 PM »
Okay, robert, I don't see it. Maybe I am dense here but with the intake centered on the firewall it should not matter where the cylinder is pointing. On the inside of the circle you would only gain a fraction of an inch of shortening the fuel feed distance. What am I missing.
Larry :-\

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2010, 08:25:56 PM »
Okay, robert, I don't see it. Maybe I am dense here but with the intake centered on the firewall it should not matter where the cylinder is pointing. On the inside of the circle you would only gain a fraction of an inch of shortening the fuel feed distance. What am I missing.
Larry :-\
Larry, you hit the nail on the head! You do understand! The point is that you would GAIN that fraction of an inch of shortening the fuel line feed distance as opposed to making that distance a fraction of an inch longer!
Any gain to the good is good I always say.

Robert                                                                                             

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2010, 02:10:08 PM »
One interesting feature of an inboard tank, is that you can kind of make a 2-4 break as a result.  Set the engine lean on takeoff, it will richen up as the speed picks up, but when you go into a maneuver and slows down, it goes back to the powerful lean run again.  Built-in speed regulator!  I have done it, and it works (OK it was with a Saito 30 4-stroke, but it should be good with any engine)

DesignMan

Offline Mark Misegadis

• Commander
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2010, 10:19:09 AM »
This is a good conversation on the fuel tank position.

Many of us are playing with these little engines that these particular planes are designed for.  

A good example for me is that I have fuel delivery issues with My PT-19s that have the backplate motor. The regular ole Babe Bee never had an issue. The quote is: "It just works." I am talking regular flight with a wingover here and there. Althought the regular flight has been very inconsistant. Fuel Line placement as well as the tank design I am fairly certain are the issue. I am interested in building some of these BlackHawk planes designed specifically for this version of the engine. I will be interested to see what Mr Renger makes work.  (fixed the spelling on Larrys lastname)

Robert, Thanks for those additions..

Larry, This will be good for your product and good for Cox International. A good recipe for success makes a Sure Start plane an automatic "Boy/Cub Scout" project. I have a nephew in mind for this already.

Mark
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 07:21:24 AM by Mark Misegadis »

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2010, 10:25:07 AM »
Mark,

The Babe Bee is now available and I would reccomend that as a good motor for anyone. It works on all of our 1/2A models except the Dick Sarpolus kits.
Larry

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2010, 03:15:16 PM »
Keep in mind that my idea is neither original nor unique it seems. Check out the drawing that was on the back of their package for the Goldberg motor mount adaptor for Cox engines.
Also keep in mind that Goldberg did not infer nor imply that this tank location was better in any way or for any reason.

Robert

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2010, 11:46:34 PM »
Oddly enough, "Rengor" is my Mattel nickname, as a result of working on the He Man project (replace the last sylable of someones name with "or" to match things like "Skeletor" and "Stinkor", so you get Keithor, Wendor (Wendy), and Error (Eric).  An exception was made for Kevin, who became Kevlar)

In college, I was "The Lone Renger", but my wife of 30 years has scotched that.  Not "Lone" no mo.

"Designman" is the current handle. (Sadly, not "Pilotman")

DesignMan

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #45 on: March 27, 2010, 04:41:32 PM »
OK the Bullet got into the air and shows potential.  Unfortunately, the Holland Hornet on the front needs a new needle assembly.  This will happen this week sometime.  The plane seemed to fly smoothly with good maneuvering potential.  The weight came out 4.85 ounces!  Fuel tank is an APS film cannister set up as a uniflo system.  Prop, currently is an old plastic Zinger 6x2.5 .  Lines are 45 ft of .008.

If you wanted a current combo that is equivalent, I would go with the Brodak .061 and modify the head to use Merlin plugs, or the AP Wasp with Jan venturi.  They would actually be overkill on this small and light a model, so you would have to use really low nitro and a 2" pitch prop and probably longer lines.

Anyway, here are some photos of the finished plane.

Upon looking at the photos I realize that I need to raise the engine, or set it up with the cylinder horizontal to get the spraybar in line with the tank centerline.  Good thing I didn't go inverted today, the engine would have died lean, for sure!!  Saved by a defective needle, how nice!!  ~^

DesignMan

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #46 on: March 31, 2010, 05:19:52 PM »
Well, I rotated the engine so the cylinder is horizontal.  I flew it this morning and the upright and inverted running was great!  I need slightly shorter lines, as an under 5 ounce plane just won't pull 40' tight enough for comfort in the overheads.  Trim and sensitivity seem excellent.  The APS film cannister uniflo tank works like a charm.  I'm a happy camper, and expect this to work out well for its intended purpose.  Nice kit, Captain Blackhawk!

DesignMan

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #47 on: April 05, 2010, 06:04:51 PM »
Antone Kephart, Stan Tyler and I all flew it over the weekend.  I think they are still grinning.  A sheetwood airplane can't DO that!!!  We all flew every pattern maneuver, no problemo.

Antone is thinking of doing a sheetwood baby Magician to the same dimensions as the one I published in Flying Models an aeon ago.  He wants to kick ... in open Profile with it and shock and awe the troops. 

Still a bit of difference up and inverted, so I pulled the tank off, replumbed it to lay on its side rather than more vertical.  Not exactly in line, but much closer, and the shape of the tank should help limit fuel sloshing at the end of the run.  I might put some of the plastic brillo pad stuff in the tank to dampen sloshing even more.  Nice to be able to just pop the top off the tank and make adjustments!

SAVE THOSE APS film cannisters.  Harvest them wherever you can, they are obsolete!!!

DesignMan

Offline George

• Admiral
  • Love people, Use things.
« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2010, 09:39:02 PM »
Larry,

What glow head are you using in that Holland Hornet?

George
George Bain
AMA 23454

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #49 on: April 16, 2010, 12:26:18 AM »
It seems to be a Norvel insert.  I guess the previous owner drilled out a dead glowhead to use as a retainer. (Unless someone makes an adapter?)  Whatever it is, starts easily and runs well.

DesignMan

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here