News:

• May 12, 2024, 08:33:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Flying New Years Day  (Read 685 times)

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Flying New Years Day
« on: January 04, 2011, 07:25:07 PM »
The weather cooperated today (1 Jan 2011) and I took advantage, flying my AEG. The AEG is a twin biplane WWI bomber, originally designed for two COX .049’s. It is from an old 60’s AAM article you might remember called monsters and monoplanes. I started to build it as published with two COX .049’s. But I changed the design slightly to use electric power so I could use throttle control.

I am using two Alpha 300-1380 motors, 12a esc’s and 500mah batteries turning APC 6x5.5 props. Lines are insulated .012, which I make myself. The nylon coated fishing lines used on larger planes are just too heavy for 1/2A’s. A U/Tronics system with a universal handle provides control.

The flights were the first successful ones for the AEG, I’ve had it out twice before but various problems kept it grounded. I actually started flying electric models with 1/2A’s. I thought it would be easier to have throttle control and it is!

The model is not quite finished as you can see. I wanted to fly it and since it is electric there is no greasy residue to cause finish problems.

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Flying New Years Day
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 07:40:17 PM »
Also flown on the first was my Vultee XP-54. An experimental WW-II fighter, only two prototypes built. I designed this one and originally flew it with a Golden Bee. I converted it to electric last year, again so I can use throttle. It does excellent touch and goes, taxi’s well and performs just like a big plane. The repair area needing paint was caused by a GWS prop shedding a blade. The GWS plastics electric props are not save for high reving motors.

Motor is a Turnigy 2211-2300
500mah 3s 20c battery
BP-10A ESC
Control U/Tronics

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Flying New Years Day
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 08:52:24 PM »
Very nice planes -- both of them.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here