News:

• June 16, 2024, 12:13:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1/2A fierce Arrow  (Read 50296 times)

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Me and my Chief Engineer
    • Minnesotamodeler
Re: 1/2A fierce Arrow
« Reply #150 on: February 13, 2007, 02:19:24 PM »
As far as I can tell, the plans indicate the 1/16"x1/8" spars lie down flat.  The rib notches could be interpreted either way (don't fit either one) but the plan view of the wing shows 1/8" wide spars, well actually about 3/32"...say, you don't suppose the ribs were redesigned for 3/32" sq. spars, and the notation didn't get changed?  That would certainly fit the "as drawn" rib notches and plan view width.  I'm gonna chew on that awhile.

Roger--welcome to the build!

--Ray
--Ray 
Roseville MN (St. Paul suburb, Arctic Circle)
AMA902472

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #151 on: February 13, 2007, 10:30:17 PM »
Go Ray.................once you get it figured out let me know.

Roger try to get in a little building time each day so that we can all have these planes to fly come spring.
Frank Carlisle

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #152 on: February 14, 2007, 07:49:50 AM »
Hey guys,

Here's my thoughts on redesigning the wing--also, 3rd pic, the fuselage side as I see it--in 1/8" thick balsa (re: :fuselage sections/nose").  Reactions, suggestions?

--Ray
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #153 on: February 14, 2007, 08:02:06 AM »
1/8th sides is overkill in my opinion for any 1/2A size plane.  3/32 is stretching it, and would be plenty!  Lot's of very large piped planes are built with 3/32nd sides.

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #154 on: February 14, 2007, 08:36:50 AM »
1/8th sides is overkill in my opinion for any 1/2A size plane.  3/32 is stretching it, and would be plenty!  Lot's of very large piped planes are built with 3/32nd sides.

Bill <><

Hey Bill ---- Nice to see you up and about. Hi HIHI%%

Ray----I can live with that. I like the tips, gives us more room for lead out positioning.
The drawing indicates to me that the flapevator will not be full span?
Is there a source for 1 1/8 spinners?
Frank Carlisle

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #155 on: February 14, 2007, 09:04:35 AM »
I was looking at the pictures of the original (big) FA, and it used a partial elevator with fixed tip flaps like that; I thought it would be good to stick as close to it as possible. 

Bill, you may be right; however, these sides are minimal in area--and are really a structural part of the wing/nose assembly.  See my sketch below for my concept of how it goes together:  Includes the MM beams; 1/16" ply. floor/LE brace; formers #1 & 2, both 1/16" ply (although #2 might could be balsa since it won't be supporting the gear according to our scheme) and the 1/8" balsa sides. 

The center ribs have a slot for the LE brace, and glue to the fuselage sides.  Also it gives the cowling (not shown) a little more bearing area to sit on.
3/32" maybe would be enough.
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #156 on: February 14, 2007, 09:17:05 AM »
Wing spars:  The front two look like they're just support for the 1/32" skin; I'm thinking they could be the 1/16" x 1/8" called for, set on edge (1/8" deep slot in the ribs).  The third and fourth, supporting the skin edge and across the open bays, need to be a little beefier and are called out as 1/8" square--I think that would work OK. 

Note ribs R4, R6 and R8 are reduced to half-ribs in my scheme.  Whatcha'll think?

Oh--it doesn't really show up, but I like Frank's TE and plan to use it (1/32" x 1/2" sheet top & bottom, 1/8" square at final TE).

--Ray
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #157 on: February 14, 2007, 09:23:23 AM »
#2 former could definitely be balsa as the motor beams will be getting glued to the plywood carry thru.

If indeed aluminum gear will be used there will be a trade off -the lighter balsa #2 former will trade weight for the gear and bearer plate for the gear. I think a couple of wood screws will adequately hold the gear.

I'm going to see about having aluminum spinners and gear made up. Ray could you please work up the nose drawing to include a ply plate to mount the gear to? We can drill holes in the carry thru and the gear plate to lighten them up more.
If you can generate a drawing for the gear I can pass it on to the machinist.

Are we having fun yet?
Frank Carlisle

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #158 on: February 14, 2007, 09:27:14 AM »
Wing spars:  The front two look like they're just support for the 1/32" skin; I'm thinking they could be the 1/16" x 1/8" called for, set on edge (1/8" deep slot in the ribs).  The third and fourth, supporting the skin edge and across the open bays, need to be a little beefier and are called out as 1/8" square--I think that would work OK. 

Note ribs R4, R6 and R8 are reduced to half-ribs in my scheme.  Whatcha'll think?

Oh--it doesn't really show up, but I like Frank's TE and plan to use it (1/32" x 1/2" sheet top & bottom, 1/8" square at final TE).

--Ray

Ray I think your plan for the wing will work just fine. I hope you plan on generating the new rib drawings for us to work from.
I agree with your entire wing concept. Good thinking.
Frank Carlisle

Offline Roger Vizioli

• CLiner
  • 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #159 on: February 14, 2007, 09:59:00 AM »
Ray,
I'm not near "my" computer or the small printout that I have, but, back of the envelope scribbling for 1/16 ", 6# balsa, indicates the weight saving gained by eliminating (6) ribs, installing (6) 1/2 ribs, is fairly low. I'll run the numbers later today when I get home. (might be less than 4 grams).
If so, I would rather see overall wing strength maintained and save the "grams" someplace else. 
From a "remote location"   D>K
Roger
Roger Vizioli
AMA L-2408
Florida/Space Coast

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #160 on: February 14, 2007, 11:45:23 AM »
Roger,

Yes, please run the numbers,  it'll be interesting to see.  But don't forget the capstrips top and bottom, and then there's some indefinite weight in glue req'd to attach them. 

Re: warping tendencies, I believe the diagonal spar top and bottom will give good torsional resistance. I did a little more drawing that might clarify it some, see below.

Frank, the gear platform would attach directly to the bottom of the MM beams, right?  I'd think 1/8" ply. might be sufficient, maybe an inch or so front to back, 1 1/2" or so wide to span from outside fuse edge to edge. Then the lower 1/2" balsa block might could be notched out for the ply. and gear legs.  See the pics.

I also sketched a little more on the nose assembly to see how the LE and center ribs go on.

--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #161 on: February 14, 2007, 01:08:07 PM »
Ray,
What say we just use two screws and screw the LG directly to the motor beams in the location you show. We can carve and shape our bottom block then notch it for a snug fit over the gear. It would save us putting in that heavy ole piece of plywood. The motor bearers do glue to the bottom of the carry thru right? And they do run all the way to former #2 right?

What'cha think?
Frank Carlisle

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #162 on: February 14, 2007, 01:16:36 PM »
You know what, you're right.  OK we'll eliminate the ply. mount, simpler is always better.  Yes, the MM beams do run to--and through--#2. 

HOWEVER, maybe we might need 4 screws, 1 front & back on each side?  Give a little more lateral support maybe. Yeah, I like it.

--Ray
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #163 on: February 14, 2007, 01:43:39 PM »
I love being right Ray...........It just don't happen often enough for me to get used to it. We save weight on the gear that way too. And on the bottom block since there'll be less of it once we cut out the notch. Now that we've saved all this weight, can we use 1/8 square spars on the wing? Huh? Huh?

I guess you've had a busy day with all this drawing and thinking haven't you?  y1

Don't feel alone. After I plowed the 6 inches of snow we got last night I went right to work on the Heat. HH%%
Frank Carlisle

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #164 on: February 14, 2007, 03:49:51 PM »
Back two spars, 1/8" sq.  Front two, 1/16" wide x 1/8" deep.  That's all I can let you have.  And I'm losing money at that. (long sad face, extended sigh.)

Yeah, the thinking's the hard part...tires me right out.  Now I gotta transfer the wing layout to CAD so I can plot out accurate ribs. Ooohhhh, will it never end?????
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #165 on: February 14, 2007, 03:59:12 PM »
Dang you drive a hard bargain!!..DONE!!......I'll take the 1/8 sq. back spar.

I'm sure glad you're doing the thinking Ray. I fall right asleep when I do it.

I just got done routing 1/4 sq. Maple beams. Now to cut out former 1 and 2. I just got to figure a way to transfer the image to wood without having to go out in the cold to buy anything. If I must go out I'll put everything off till tomorrow.
Frank Carlisle

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #166 on: February 14, 2007, 06:25:07 PM »
GUYS..........................Here are pictures of former #1 and former #2 with the motor rails.

Here are my observations---------the fuselage sides will end at former #2 and glue to the front of it. I think we want to use 3/32 for the sides and sand down to former. The bottom block glues right to the rails and also buts against former #2.

Here is where perplexity enters the picture...........The carry thru??  As I see it the carry through will want to rest on top of the motor beams.with the back of the carry thru butting against former #2. As shown it runs all the way to and buts up against the back of former #1. Here are 3 pictures of the formers and rails stuck together and one drawing of what I think the carry thru is supposed to look like. Please study the plan (top, sideview and cross section).

What do you think?
Frank Carlisle

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #167 on: February 14, 2007, 07:17:14 PM »
Furthermore----------I think the carry thru goes on next. At this point we make motor and fuel tank arrangements. Once that's set we put the sides on. Then tack on the bottom block and shape it. Next the cowl. Once all that's done we move on to the wing and rib #1. By the way the bottom of the plane is going to be flat.
I think the whole nose has to be preshaped and built before we attach the root rib, that way we have plenty of room for fitting and shaping the nose.

Now all this is conjecture at this point but I might just be right on. What do you guys think?
Frank Carlisle

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #168 on: February 14, 2007, 08:10:07 PM »
No perplexity, Frank; I believe you got it.  Exactly what I was envisioning, glad you fabricated it and showed it works.  The back former (#2) leans back a little more, though, according to the side view...it's probably not sitting the way it will when actually glued in.  I had suggested making it from balsa but I see it's such an integral part of the whole MM assembly, ply. is better. 

3/32" sides oughtta work; means you must narrow down the back former a little.  The sides should glue directly to the MM rails, so there should be 3/32" between the rail-opening and the edge of the former.

Flat bottom, right...Again, I think 3/32" should be sufficient rather than the 1/8" shown.  Maybe even cut to fit inside the (rear) sides, and extend them down to the bottom of the bottom, if you get my drift...more glue area that way.

I like your concept of a completely shaped nose assembly before anything else is attached.  I'm pretty sure that wouldn't have occurred to me, or if it had, too late.  'Course it means we must have the gear, and spinner, before we can complete it.

What spacing are you using between the MM rails?  With the Norvels I usually use 11/16", then relieve the upper edges just a little to clear the crankcase.  3/4" fits a little loose.  Good if the engine is to have a little offset to it, but this one is shown 0-0, engine and rudder.  And only 1/4 oz. tip weight.  Maybe that's why the leadout guides are an inch and a half behind the CG.

Oh--before you put on the carrythru, you might consider relieving the beams 1/8" on the inside edge (with radiused ends)
leaving them 1/8" wide, from behind former #1 to the end.  I know that ain't clear...I'll try to post a sketch.  Anyway, the idea is weight savings.  I don't think it's too late to do it, as long as #2 isn't yet glued in.

gimme a few minutes, I'll post a pic.

--Ray
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline Roger Vizioli

• CLiner
  • 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #169 on: February 14, 2007, 08:31:02 PM »
Test
Roger Vizioli
AMA L-2408
Florida/Space Coast

Offline Roger Vizioli

• CLiner
  • 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #170 on: February 14, 2007, 08:32:59 PM »
Ray, Frank,
I have two posts to this thread out there in cyber space.
Will hold off on a repeat for awhile.

Roger
Roger Vizioli
AMA L-2408
Florida/Space Coast

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #171 on: February 14, 2007, 08:41:46 PM »
The rails are tightly fit to former #2. I'll need to open the vertical line a bit to get the right angle Ray.

Thw 3/32 sides are actually a little oversize byt a few whisks with sandpaper and they'll be a great fit. The edge of former #2 and the fuselage sides are both flush with one another. Rib #1 covers them I believe.Tomorrow I'll set the carry thru and mount the motor and make a fuel tank.

Since the nose is way up front I think the build can move along and when the spinners get here we'll be able to finish shaping the nose.
I'm using the spacing as per the plan. The rails will need to be hogged out some to accept the Norvel.

I'm thinking that one Arrow won't be enough for me. So............how about I go lickety split and build this one according to plan? That way I can keep us alerted as to any quirks and also a model will help us see it more clearly.

Good idea on the rails consider it done.
Frank Carlisle

Offline Roger Vizioli

• CLiner
  • 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #172 on: February 14, 2007, 08:53:46 PM »
Guys,
My lost posts were about weight saved.
In summary, removing (6) ribs/cap strips and a 3/8" strip in four places on center sheeting saves about 4.2 grams (.148 oz.).
The additional LE sheeting adds about 1.8 grams(.063 oz), aditional TE material adds ? TBDL grams.

Frank,
re spinners. Has a source been found?
Roger
Roger Vizioli
AMA L-2408
Florida/Space Coast

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #173 on: February 14, 2007, 09:06:39 PM »
Guys,
My lost posts were about weight saved.
In summary, removing (6) ribs/cap strips and a 3/8" strip in four places on center sheeting saves about 4.2 grams (.148 oz.).
The additional LE sheeting adds about 1.8 grams(.063 oz), aditional TE material adds ? TBDL grams.

Frank,
re spinners. Has a source been found?
Roger

I may be able to have them made Roger. I'll find out more about them tomorrow.
What does TBDL mean?

Ray---We'll have to relieve the MM a little in front to shoe horn the Norvel into it. Or we could space the beams a tad wider without changing the width of the formers.
Frank Carlisle

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #174 on: February 14, 2007, 09:26:53 PM »
TBDL  =  To Be Determined Later.
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #175 on: February 14, 2007, 09:32:16 PM »
Plan MM beams are set about 5/8" apart.  I'm gonna take the 1/16" saved by using 3/32" sides in lieu of 1/8", and set mine at 11/16".  Overall width should be the same. 

Frank, when you say you will build one "according to plan" do you mean stock, 30" span, etc.?  Ribs won't be the same.

I ain't plottin' out 2 different sets, nosirreebob. 

--Ray
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #176 on: February 14, 2007, 09:33:54 PM »
Ray is there any particular type aluminum used in making landing gear? We want 1/16 gear right?

I've been looking around for 1 1/8 spinners. No dice so far. Smallest I've found are 1 3/4. I think Jan will make them for me. I've never asked for three of anything before.
Frank Carlisle

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #177 on: February 14, 2007, 09:50:31 PM »
Plan MM beams are set about 5/8" apart.  I'm gonna take the 1/16" saved by using 3/32" sides in lieu of 1/8", and set mine at 11/16".  Overall width should be the same. 

Frank, when you say you will build one "according to plan" do you mean stock, 30" span, etc.?  Ribs won't be the same.

I ain't plottin' out 2 different sets, nosirreebob. 

--Ray

As long as the overall width stays the same we are golden. 
I'd be using the plan ribs and an .051 Cox for the stock model. I figure we are a ways out with the redesign and I will have time put the stocker together. Or set it aside. I would like to stay one step ahead as we go so as to clarify the construction method. Tomorrow I can work out bottom block. Plan calls for half inch but it is actually 1/4 inch. There is a discrepancy between the template drawing of former #2 and the side view of said former. Probably it would be best to add the 1/4 inch to former #2 to maintain fidelity with side view. I just looked at the plan and definitely a 1/4 inch MUST be added to the bottom of former #2

Why can't they just get it right?
Also I will work out cowl hold down. And tank hold down.
Speaking of tanks........any ideas? I'm thinking that we may have to make them or order them.
Frank Carlisle

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #178 on: February 15, 2007, 01:29:43 AM »
OK sounds good.  It'll probably help us avoid some pitfalls.

Having some experience drawing my own plans,  I can tell you consistency between views, and between major views and parts layouts, is not easy to attain! Doesn't seem like it'd be a problem I know, but just make one change, and there's half a dozen places you have to change it in, and it's easy to miss one. For instance, on these plans 1/4" may well have been the original thickness of that block--decision ws made to change to 1/2", they got it in the side view and sections and callouts (although even there it's called "1/2" square") but forgot about the former #2 layout.  Doesn't take many of those discrepancies to add up to a frustrating set of contradictory plans. I try not to be too hard on the plan drafters, just look for some logical explanation like the above to guess what the intent was.  I'm sure adding 1/4" to the former layout is the right thing to do.  Not chastizing your words but just trying to explain how it happens.  I agree it can be frustrating, on both ends.  Consistency is surprisingly difficult to maintain.  The closet demon of the plans drafter!

--Ray
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #179 on: February 15, 2007, 01:37:41 AM »
Ray, Frank,
I have two posts to this thread out there in cyber space.
Will hold off on a repeat for awhile.

Roger

Hey Roger,

Test worked OK.  Give it another shot.  It's happened to me a few times too--I think sometimes I forget to hit the "post" button after composing, or "save" after modifying, a post, just go back to the forum, then wonder where my post went. Seems like it happens most frequently when using the "quick reply" option. Looks too much like the post is already there.  At least that's my theory.  It's all Robert's fault; can't be that I'm getting forgetful in my dotage!

I long for the computer key "DWIM"--Do What I Mean.  Programmers should make that a priority.

--Ray
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #180 on: February 15, 2007, 02:12:29 AM »
Frank, 1/16" alum. is what we want, but I don't know the temper or alloy used.  Seems like there was a discussion of that somewhere else.  Maybe someone with knowledge will chime in here. 

Fuel tanks, yup, looks like custom made.  I'll probably do my usual film cannister thing, hog out the cowl for a close fit, set it on foam underneath and let the cowl hold it down.  I'm thinking we need at least 1 oz. capacity with the .061s.

Pics: Two film cannisters Gooped together.

--Ray
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline Roger Vizioli

• CLiner
  • 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #181 on: February 15, 2007, 05:54:36 AM »
Guys,
What are the dimensions of the tank compartment?
I use a 2 oz sullivan cylindrical, gives 6+minutes w/.061. It is shorter than (2) film cannisters and about the same diameter. 1 3/8" dia and approx 3 1/4' long.
I wonder if my plans are in any of the mail trucks/planes stuck in the snow up there?
Roger   

Roger Vizioli
AMA L-2408
Florida/Space Coast

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #182 on: February 15, 2007, 06:32:32 AM »
Guys,
What are the dimensions of the tank compartment?
I use a 2 oz sullivan cylindrical, gives 6+minutes w/.061. It is shorter than (2) film cannisters and about the same diameter. 1 3/8" dia and approx 3 1/4' long.
I wonder if my plans are in any of the mail trucks/planes stuck in the snow up there?
Roger   

I'm at 1 3/16 wide in the tank compartment Roger. I think it could go another 16th without changing the overall width of the formers. So the fuel tank is going to need to fit inside that space. There is plenty of length to it, so that isn't a concern.
I'm planning on making a tank out of tin and soldering it up to fit. If we were going to make lots of these planes I'd say let's make the fuselage wider to accomodate commercially available parts. But we're not so custom parts are the order of the day.
You'll probably get your plans today or tomorrow. Don't feel bad Ray and I waited nearly two weeks!!
Frank Carlisle

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #183 on: February 15, 2007, 07:14:12 AM »
Frank, 1/16" alum. is what we want, but I don't know the temper or alloy used.  Seems like there was a discussion of that somewhere else.  Maybe someone with knowledge will chime in here. 

(snip)

--Ray

Hi Guys,

I *think* this is in reference to the LG??

I used the K&S aluminum sheeting to make the LG for my Tomahawk.  Maybe .060??  I know it is the size that was close to 1/16th.  This plane got a *little* porky (almost 30 oz.) and the gear will spread out every now and then on a rough landing.  For the 1/2A Arrow, it would work fine!  I would even drill descending size holes in it to lighten it up.  I cannot see where a plane this small (under 10 oz., right?) could ever bend that aluminum unless the plane is totalled over tarmac.

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #184 on: February 15, 2007, 07:49:44 AM »
Hi Guys,

I *think* this is in reference to the LG??

I used the K&S aluminum sheeting to make the LG for my Tomahawk.  Maybe .060??  I know it is the size that was close to 1/16th.  This plane got a *little* porky (almost 30 oz.) and the gear will spread out every now and then on a rough landing.  For the 1/2A Arrow, it would work fine!  I would even drill descending size holes in it to lighten it up.  I cannot see where a plane this small (under 10 oz., right?) could ever bend that aluminum unless the plane is totalled over tarmac.

Bill <><

Landing gear is what we're talking about here Bill. You are right on point. I'll google K&S and check it out. I have a flying buddy who is a top notch machinist. He'll be stopping by today to check out the plans and see about making the landing gear and spinners (1 1/8 spinners) for us. I hate to ask him to make 3 sets. Usually he makes stuff for me as a favor, but with 3 guys to make them for I think he'll need some monetary compensation.
I don't know why the guys who design these things can't make it so we can use off the shelf parts.
Frank Carlisle

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #185 on: February 15, 2007, 08:01:30 AM »
Making the LG doesn't require a machinist at all!  I made the two part ones for the Tomahawk in about 1/2 hour counting polishing. **) 

Now, a "SPINNER", that's a whole different kettle of fish.....

;D
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #186 on: February 15, 2007, 08:37:38 AM »
Frank, tell your buddy we'll pay anything reasonable...shouldn't lean on his friendship and good will very hard, esp. for the benefit of guys he doesn't even know!  His time is worth something after all. 

Seems like the gear oughtta be simple enough fabrication we could do it ourselves if we had the right material.  Cut it with a hacksaw (blade in my jigsaw), bend it in a vise I imagine, polish it with a Dremel wheel.  Use bolts for axles, right? Nothing to it.  Spinner, I agree, is another matter--I'll happily pay for one. 

Roger, re: tanks: My film cannisters just barely squeeze into a 1 1/4" wide compartment.  I do have the one tank made from ovals (first of my "tank" pics above) that I can use if necessary.  total fuse width is 1 7/16" approx., don't think you're gonna squeeze  that 1 3/8" plastic bottle in there without some modifying, widening the cowl or something.  And Frank, length may not be a problem to you but there's only 3 3/4" there and my double cannisters require every bit of it so that's gonna take some shoehorning...probably rerouting some lines.  The one drawback of the .061s...they are thirsty creatures.

--Ray
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #187 on: February 15, 2007, 09:06:45 AM »
Making the LG doesn't require a machinist at all!  I made the two part ones for the Tomahawk in about 1/2 hour counting polishing. **) 

Now, a "SPINNER", that's a whole different kettle of fish.....

;D

Bill, I just got done talking to Jan (machinist) we're on our own for the gear. Now to see if Roger and Ray can cut metal.
Frank Carlisle

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #188 on: February 15, 2007, 09:48:47 AM »
Frank, tell your buddy we'll pay anything reasonable...shouldn't lean on his friendship and good will very hard, esp. for the benefit of guys he doesn't even know!  His time is worth something after all. 

Seems like the gear oughtta be simple enough fabrication we could do it ourselves if we had the right material.  Cut it with a hacksaw (blade in my jigsaw), bend it in a vise I imagine, polish it with a Dremel wheel.  Use bolts for axles, right? Nothing to it.  Spinner, I agree, is another matter--I'll happily pay for one. 

Roger, re: tanks: My film cannisters just barely squeeze into a 1 1/4" wide compartment.  I do have the one tank made from ovals (first of my "tank" pics above) that I can use if necessary.  total fuse width is 1 7/16" approx., don't think you're gonna squeeze  that 1 3/8" plastic bottle in there without some modifying, widening the cowl or something.  And Frank, length may not be a problem to you but there's only 3 3/4" there and my double cannisters require every bit of it so that's gonna take some shoehorning...probably rerouting some lines.  The one drawback of the .061s...they are thirsty creatures.

--Ray

I just lost a post. For warp speed hi-tech this place runs kinda slow.

We need to make our own gear. I'll check the LHS for aluminum.

Jan is going to make up a prototype spinner for me. The picture shows what it will look like only 1 1/8" Praobably he'll want $25 or so for it.

There are issues with the Norvel Muffler--it doesn't have enough reach to extend out side the fuselage.
Frank Carlisle

Offline Roger Vizioli

• CLiner
  • 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #189 on: February 15, 2007, 10:49:43 AM »
Yeah, I can cut metal!  :)

I saw a Norvel muffler writeup someplace, for helicopter use. I "think" it extended out further than the stock one. I'll see if I can find it.
Also, Brodak was coming out with a line of small aluminum spinners. I'll send them a question re. same.

Roger
Roger Vizioli
AMA L-2408
Florida/Space Coast

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #190 on: February 15, 2007, 12:26:44 PM »
Good luck on the spinner hunt Roger. I hope you find them. If not I'm sure that you can fit the 1" one. And thanks for taking the innitiative.

The LHS does carry sheet aluminum. The sheet is .064 which is around 1/16 thick. 4" X 10'' is the size. plenty to make gear for the Arrow with. It may be a few days before I cut them out.

Any news on the ribs Ray?  I've been looking at your drawings and I think it will be just right for our .061s. Great work
Frank Carlisle

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #191 on: February 15, 2007, 02:07:22 PM »
Nothing on the ribs yet, I been lazy.  Right now I'm drawing some formers so I can catch up to you, Frank!

You mention mufflers?  "We don't need no stinkin' mufflers!"  I almost never use 'em. 

Cutting alum. should be no problem; I'll check my LHS as well for stock. Never used this kind of gear before, I'll need someone to feed me dimensions as to width, taper, etc.

If there is a 1" spinner commercially available it oughtta work fine, don't you think?  A slightly narrower nose, plenty of room to taper the beams another 1/16" ea. side, ditto the bottom block and cowling. 

--Ray
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #192 on: February 15, 2007, 04:14:21 PM »
So are you drawing the formers on wood? I'm slowed down so you won't have to work hard to keep up Ray. The Heat is taking quite a bit of time.

I'm thinking I'd like to have a muffler to throw the oil out of the cowl.

I'll draw up the gear later on and post a drawing with dimensions that you can copy. Luckily I have a band saw for cutting metal.

I think a 1" spinner will be fine. I think even no spinner at all would look good if the front end was done right. I did one of my stunters a few years ago with just a fancy prop nut and the plane looked very cool.
Frank Carlisle

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #193 on: February 15, 2007, 04:56:19 PM »
Here's my suggested dimensions for the front formers--both of 1/16" ply.  Hope you can read the dim. OK, my sharpie isn't anymore. 

--Ray
« Last Edit: February 15, 2007, 08:31:00 PM by minnesotamodeler »
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #194 on: February 15, 2007, 05:25:04 PM »
Looks good Ray.........I'm pooped and taking a rest from building but tomorrw I will cut these out and glue them together. We'll see how the engine fits then.
Good job. Mate.

I'll make the drawing of the gear using your numbers. outside number is 1 3/8. I will make the base of the gear to match.

Drawing will be posted shortly. y1
Frank Carlisle

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #195 on: February 15, 2007, 06:30:55 PM »
Here is a landing gear drawing I think will work Ray. I think I'll cut it tomorrow. If you'd like I will cut you out a set too.
I tried to get the drawing exact but it is off in places. The measuremants are good though. You'll want to match the mounting holes to fit your plane. Bend it to match the angles of the wire gear on the plans.

You like?
Frank Carlisle

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #196 on: February 15, 2007, 06:45:34 PM »
Very cool.  I think I could do that; I'll hit the LHS tomorrow and see if they have any alum.    The numbers are just what I need.  Thanks!

--Ray
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #197 on: February 15, 2007, 07:08:09 PM »
That's good Ray------I'm going to cut out the new formers you drew tomorrow. As we develop parts I'll make them. So it looks like I'll be building two Arrows, One according to the stock plan and one according to us.
Now to come up with a decent paint scheme. If it is red, white or blue I have the colors in stock. ;D

This is fun! Do you think maybe a Ford Tri-Motor for our next one...No Wait!!!....How about an I-Beam built up UFO.
Frank Carlisle

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #198 on: February 15, 2007, 07:13:54 PM »
PLEASE, if you are using the pattern for the formers I posted above, go back and read it again...I made a muh--muh--muh (so hard to say) muh-stake!  Sorry.

--Ray

Wuh, wuh, where is the muh, muh muhstake? I used that drawing to draw the landing gear!! Muh, Muh Lord!! This is all mussed up.

BTW--I keep luh looking for the patriotic Snapper on a certain web page....................................

Not UFO--Space Ship One.
Frank Carlisle

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #199 on: February 15, 2007, 07:31:05 PM »
RE: spinners

Gentlemen, I think I have found a couple of spinner options for you. You can find these on Tower's web site. A number of manufactures make 1 1/2 inch spinners, plastic and metal. All the usual suspect spinner makers participate. Can't imagine you would want to go to metal, great planes and tru turn make 1 1/2 inch ones. If you need nose weight might work.

If you want the 1 1/4 inch solution, Carl Goldberg can help. The make 1 1/4 in prop spinner nuts in multiple anodized colors and threads. Not sure what your motors use, but they will fit your size dead on.

bob branch

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here