News:

• March 19, 2024, 01:57:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Tim's Universal Timer  (Read 36152 times)

Offline Tim Wescott

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Tim's Universal Timer
« on: July 22, 2014, 02:23:13 PM »
Now that Howard Rush has flown at the Nationals and gotten some good out of the first Tim's Universal Timer, it seems like it's time to throw the door open further and start discussing things publicly.

The TUT is still very young, but it's time to start selling it.  For those of you who are willing to trade being on the bleeding edge of technology for the utility and flexibility that the TUT offers, you can come here to ask questions, get answers, and see what other people are thinking about the TUT.

As time permits I'll be posting information about what the TUT is capable of, who may benefit from using it, and details about how particular installations may be undertaken.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
Re: Tim's Universal Timer
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 08:06:44 PM »
so, as far as the name, is the TUT as the name implies to be used as a timer for electric esc's? can we see a pic?

Offline Tim Wescott

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 08:20:00 PM »
I think most of the people who use it will be flying electric, but it has some utility in the IC engine world.  I know that Dave Trible was interested in using it as an engine cutoff.  With the addition of a crank sensor it can sense the engine speed, so in theory you could set up a twin-engined ship to cut off the remaining engine when one engine cut out (or you could just use big tanks, and cut both engines on a timer).

I've been so deep in getting it working, I don't have any good pictures!  I'll rectify that situation.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Tim Wescott

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 10:00:29 PM »
Here are the timers.

The one on the right is the cut-down one that Howard Rush is taking to the Worlds.  I'm calling it the TUT-HR.  He's actually running this timer in cascade with an Igor Burger timer: during most of the pattern the TUT just repeats what the Burger timer says, but during takeoff and landing the TUT takes over and gives Howard some special sequencing.  At the same time, the TUT is driving some indicator lights for Howard to let him know when the TUT is in charge, and to help him place the motor cutoff event exactly where he wants it to be.

The TUT-HR has a gyroscope, which allows it to sense a cutoff loop -- so you don't have to leave cutoff loops behind when you go electric.  With the current set of TUT sequences, the TUT uses the cutoff loop to initiate a sequence where it continues to fly for some (adjustable) fraction of a lap at high throttle, then it cuts the throttle.

The bigger one on the left the "original" TUT. In addition to everything the TUT-HR has, the TUT has an accelerometer and some memory.  It will record accelerations, rotation rates, and, if properly set up, motor speed during a flight.  This data can then be downloaded to a computer afterward for analysis.  It's still in the experimental stage -- it takes about as long to download a flight's worth of data as it does to fly, and its up to the user to figure out what to do with the data once its on their computer.
AMA 64232

Offline David_Stack

• 2016 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2014, 06:15:11 AM »
Good Morning Tim;

Familiar with this particular chip?  Something to incorporate into the TUT perhaps (assuming you are not already using it)?

http://www.engadget.com/2014/08/20/tiny-accelerometer-adds-motion-detection-to-clothes-and-cheap-ph/?ncid=rss_truncated

r/
Dave

Offline Tim Wescott

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2014, 08:41:00 AM »
Interesting chip, from what little they're saying there.  It looks like it's not available in quantities small enough to work for me, though.
AMA 64232

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2014, 08:03:45 AM »
Not clear on this.
Is your TUT a stand alone cl timer, or only used as an add on for additional functions not provided by conventional timers.
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline Tim Wescott

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2014, 11:55:25 AM »
Not clear on this.
Is your TUT a stand alone cl timer, or only used as an add on for additional functions not provided by conventional timers.

Because it is so versatile, it's hard not to be confused.

It can be used as either.  At the moment it's only been used for data logging during flights, as a dead-reliable way of getting cutoff loops with a clunk tank (although this feature would work as well, and be more useful, for electric power), and as an adjunct timer that takes input from elsewhere.
AMA 64232

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2014, 06:04:43 PM »
is there a plan to integrate a timer to be used as a stand alone timer for electric planes?
for example, if i could use the TUT to be my timer and turn on nav lights half way through the flight, that would be neato!

Offline Tim Wescott

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2014, 06:52:43 PM »
is there a plan to integrate a timer to be used as a stand alone timer for electric planes?
for example, if i could use the TUT to be my timer and turn on nav lights half way through the flight, that would be neato!

Hey Dane:

I'm not sure what you mean by that question, so I'll answer what I think you're asking.

The TUT will function as a stand-alone timer.  In addition, it has four ports, which can be used for either input or output, with either RC-style servo pulses or as "discrete" outputs, to sense switch closures or to drive things like lights.

What it doesn't have is a lot of oomph -- you could light up one LED that you could see in direct sunlight from close up, but if you want to light up navigation lights you'd need some external power electronics.  If those nav light things for RC planes work, you could use those.  Otherwise the circuit you'd need to make some BRIGHT lights come on from the signal available from the TUT is pretty easy to assemble.
AMA 64232

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2014, 12:09:43 PM »
i see what you're saying, and yes, that's great news. i would use a separate little battery and the TUT could just turn on the rc style "switch" i think it just turns on and off depending on the "servo" command. either full on or full off like a transmitter switch.
are these in production and available for sell yet? i have an electric plane awaiting a timer that would be a cool test bed

Offline Tim Wescott

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2014, 01:52:20 PM »
i see what you're saying, and yes, that's great news. i would use a separate little battery and the TUT could just turn on the rc style "switch" i think it just turns on and off depending on the "servo" command. either full on or full off like a transmitter switch.
are these in production and available for sell yet? i have an electric plane awaiting a timer that would be a cool test bed

At the moment I'm trying to keep from getting suddenly swamped with orders by engaging in a determinedly lethargic advertising campaign -- but send me a PM or an email and we'll talk.
AMA 64232

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2014, 01:25:52 AM »
I am a satisfied TUT customer.  I gave Tim complicated, quirky, and changing requirements, and he came though with a solid system that gave me an edge at this year's US Nats and World Champs.  Tim is a professional avionics engineer, so he knows the details that need to be considered to design reliable equipment that works. 

The TUT is extremely flexible.  Mine may be a limited version, but I can create and select among multiple programs, each of which have 12 to 14 settings I can change with a Jeti Box, the same $30 controller that I use to change settings on the Igor Burger timer and the Jeti Spin motor controller.  Another layer of programming can be done with a PC and some interface equipment.  I have the interface equipment, but I've only needed a couple of changes to that layer, and Tim did them. It's what you'd use if you want to add a capability such as turning on nav lights or actuating landing gear. 
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Mark Edwards

• New Pilot
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2015, 06:56:32 AM »
Tim -- read the article in Model Aviation on the modifications you made to TUT which allow multiple motors to start individually -- am in the process of building a Don Smith B 24 and wanted to ask if you thought a similarly modified TUT would work in this aircraft -- will be powered by 4 elite 90's -- If answer is yes, how do I arrange to purchase?

Mark Edwards

Offline Tim Wescott

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2015, 09:26:50 AM »
Hi Mark:

If an Elite 90 is some electric motor that I haven't heard about and not some IC engine that I haven't heard about, then yes the TUT will do this.

A proper answer for your question was long, so I started a new thread here: http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php/topic,38094.0.html.
AMA 64232

Offline José Almeida

• Ensign
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2015, 11:34:03 AM »
Hi Mark:

If an Elite 90 is some electric motor that I haven't heard about and not some IC engine that I haven't heard about, then yes the TUT will do this.

A proper answer for your question was long, so I started a new thread here: http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php/topic,38094.0.html.

Hi
I would love to read the article about Fred Cronnenwett'S TUT at AMA magazine from February 2015 as here in Portugal does not get the magazine!  :( :(

Someone can scan and send it to me by PM or post here in the forum?

I would appreciate very much  :)

Thanks
José
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 03:40:05 PM by José Almeida »

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2018, 03:07:39 PM »
Tim,
Is there a way to have this perform as a timer that cuts out a transistorized ignition system (for OTS ignition engine)? It would be interesting to be able to stop the engine and cut off the coil charging power.

Best,    DennisT

Offline Tim Wescott

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2018, 06:02:17 PM »
Tim,
Is there a way to have this perform as a timer that cuts out a transistorized ignition system (for OTS ignition engine)? It would be interesting to be able to stop the engine and cut off the coil charging power.

Anything is possible.  So, yes.  You didn't ask how hard it would be, though :).

Do you have access to the schematics for the ignition system in question?  The devil is in the details....
AMA 64232

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here