News:

• April 30, 2024, 07:37:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Zlin Akrobat  (Read 5782 times)

Offline Jim Pollock

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Zlin Akrobat
« on: April 04, 2011, 06:34:12 PM »
In my copy of the Jan 1970 Model Airplane News is the 3 views of an R/C version of the Zlin Akrobat.
It is very interesting and looks like it would make an excellent subject for a simi-scale stunter.
It should perform very well because the wings are fairly high aspect ration.  The trailing edges is perfectly straight so would make for a cool set of flaps.  Does anyone else have this magazine and how about someone designing a stunter from the 3 views.  I can't do it, my plate is too full of other stuff!

Jim Pollock   :o

Offline Don Hutchinson AMA5402

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
Re: Zlin Akrobat
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 04:42:02 PM »
The Jan/Feb 2008 issue of Stunt News has a plan for a fine looking Zlin 226 stunt ship by Frank Warburton. It also was published in the Feb 1969 issue of Aero Modeller. This may be a totally different airplane but looks promising. There is also a plan for Stampe Monitor by Frank, also a good looking subject.
Don

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 04:12:57 AM »
:-)

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 04:41:06 AM »
Just gotta 1970 Air international , with a Zlin Akrobat on the cover .
World champs were in england,also pictured Art Scholls new Chipmonk with new Lycombing 260 hp six and retracts .

Frank also did a Stampe Monitor , DeH Chipmonkish French plane. Was orange , on cover of Aeromuddler.Another good classic ship .

Offline John Hammonds

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 07:59:48 AM »
The 1st competition I ever went to (As a spectator) was the 1970 WSC. I had messed around with gliders up until that point and while the RC area was amazing (Mick Charles won with his Jura Scirocco) I was completely blown away by Mick Reeves heading to 1st place in the CL area with his Zlin Akrobat. The rest of the field while amazing models went round and round and did a few touch and goes or Bomb/parachute drops. Mick's Zlin on the other hand was quite aerobatic and while it probably would not "Square" it certainly did most of the round maneuvers very nicely. (All this with a fully detailed scale model of not inconsiderable weight). Sadly his Zlin was destroyed at the 1974 champs (I think) when it ran into some dirty air (Filled with concrete) at the bottom of an outside loop.

I came away from Cranfield a Control Line convert and still love the Zlin to this day. I have the Warburton plan which is a 226 if I remember correctly. The Zlin is generally accepted as being the better flyer when compared with the Stamp by the same designer.

There is a picture of Mick with his Zlin here...
http://www.mickreevesmodels.co.uk/~mickreev/Nostalgia/ZLIN.jpg

TTFN
John.
I started out with nothing and still have most of it left.....
Fast, Cheap, Reliable - Choose any 2!
BMFA 165249

Offline Jim Pollock

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2011, 07:37:29 PM »
I like the one that Igor pictured.  Looks about the right size.  I'm guessing 52" span moments similar to a Nobler or Gieseke Nobler.  Why don't we do one with the size and moments like the Gieseke small Bear?

Jim Pollock      H^^

Offline Jim Pollock

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2011, 05:01:02 PM »
By the way Doug..... What are the moments and such of the small .46 sized bear.  I think you were flying one for a while?  I liked the looks of it!

Jim Pollock   H^^

Offline Rick Henry

• AMA Member
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2011, 10:29:43 PM »
Igor, This is probably a dumb question but is that a stunt model? 

Rick

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2011, 12:04:15 AM »
It is true stunter. The wing is modified from my Max, also elevator, so it is not scale, the fuselage is scale. The model was on WC in Sebnitz as B model for Alex Schrek. So it is definitely competitive stunter :- )))

Offline Rick Henry

• AMA Member
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2011, 06:33:50 PM »
I thought so Igor. Really really nice.

Thanks
Rick

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2011, 03:26:09 PM »
I like the one that Igor pictured.  Looks about the right size.  I'm guessing 52" span moments similar to a Nobler or Gieseke Nobler.  Why don't we do one with the size and moments like the Gieseke small Bear?

Jim Pollock      H^^

Hi Jim,

Sounds like you are wanting the Sig Akrobat Stunter kit.  About 50" WS.............  Nice flying model.

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Dallas Hanna

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2011, 04:18:21 AM »
The Jan/Feb 2008 issue of Stunt News has a plan for a fine looking Zlin 226 stunt ship by Frank Warburton. It also was published in the Feb 1969 issue of Aero Modeller. This may be a totally different airplane but looks promising. There is also a plan for Stampe Monitor by Frank, also a good looking subject.
Don

Like this?  Actually by Frank (Pop) Warburton sr

HH

Offline t michael jennings

• AMA 83322
  • 2016 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2012, 07:54:27 PM »
Gentlemen,

What is the wing span of the Zlin 226 by Frank Warburton?

Where could the plans be purchased?

T Michael Jennings
Knoxville, TN

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2012, 09:01:55 PM »
Frank Warburton's Zlin 226 is a model begging to be kitted! I might have mentioned this to one of our esteemed kit makers. ;)
-Clint-

AMA 559593
Finding new and innovated ways to screw up the pattern since 1993

Offline John Hammonds

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2012, 05:42:17 PM »
Gentlemen,

What is the wing span of the Zlin 226 by Frank Warburton?

Where could the plans be purchased?

T Michael Jennings
Knoxville, TN

As I said earlier in this thread I have the Zlin 226 plan. I'm not sure if it is still available but if you want a copy I could get it scanned to a pdf and send it to you. You should then be able to get it printed from the pdf at your local copy store.

Oh it's 50.75"

TTFN
John.
BMFA 165249

Offline Bob Kruger

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2013, 03:13:43 PM »
As I said earlier in this thread I have the Zlin 226 plan. I'm not sure if it is still available but if you want a copy I could get it scanned to a pdf and send it to you. You should then be able to get it printed from the pdf at your local copy store.

Oh it's 50.75"

TTFN
John.

Actually, it has already been scanned.  If one goes to the Hip Pocket Aeronautics, you can find it here:  http://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/hpa_plans/details.php?image_id=3857

Bob
Bob Kruger
AMA 42014

Offline Glenn (Gravitywell) Reach

• Gravitywell
  • 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2013, 04:54:49 PM »
You will first have to join the Hip Pocket forum, then register seperately to enter the Hip Pocket Plans Gallery to view the plan.  Its well worth doing as there are a large number of plans to download there for free.  And if you love free flight rubber....holey mackeral! H^^
Glenn Reach
Westlock, Alberta
gravitywell2011 @ gmail . com

Offline John Hammonds

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2013, 05:44:48 PM »
Quote from: Bob Kruger
Actually, it has already been scanned.  If one goes to the Hip Pocket Aeronautics, you can find it here:  http://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/hpa_plans/details.php?image_id=3857

Bob

Well yes, but my post was made 12th March 2012. The plan was not added to Hip Pocket until 28th June 2012.  H^^

TTFN
John.
BMFA 165249

Offline Chuck_Smith

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2013, 05:01:15 AM »
The SIG kit flew well. It had the plastic cowl thing going on that weighed a ton, but if you left it off and just built balsa nose you had a good ship. I still have one I built in the 70's. I changed the canopy as well. That giant bubble was too thin and didn't last long in the sun. Flys about the same as the Chipmonk.
AMA 76478

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here