News:

• April 27, 2024, 09:09:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: wing area vs weight  (Read 6599 times)

Offline jim gilmore

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
wing area vs weight
« on: August 11, 2013, 05:53:47 PM »
While my question is not straight stunt model design I am not 100 % sure where to ask it.
Is there any correlation to weight and wing area that one can look for in getting a model that will fly and glide a reasonable distance after the engine quits ?
I knoe that most good Pa aircraft will glide very far before you run outta seed and it falls out of the sky.
As opposed to most of the block type scale looking 1/2A models that would literally tumble when the engine quits before coming to a halt.
It may be wing loading I'm thinking of but i'm wondering if the number is something that works regardless of the engine size ?

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: wing area vs weight
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2013, 06:12:20 PM »
Line drag, wing loading, basic model drag, and Reynolds numbers all contribute to the difference. 

I fear that there is no number like the ballistic coefficient to relate the model sizes. You should be able to come up with a weight/frontal are, line size and length for similar designs in nearly the same size to give you guidance.
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline jim gilmore

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2013, 10:04:53 PM »
What brings up this question is that I know that Most 1/2a like the old scientific kits would literally fall out of the sky at end of flight. and that My larger shoestring stunter had a nice though limited range before i put down.
I'm trying to find if there is a way to figure how light/heavy a model must be to stull glide well.
I know that the 1/2a stunter's have decent glides but they are quite a bit more that what average 1/2a's
were.
My best when I was actively flying was 144sq's and could be forced to glide to a landing but the model was quite light with a golden bee.
So is wing loading weight/wing area  the right thing or is there some other number. And I'm only lookin at basic models so the lift i'm looking at shoud be of negligable concers. Since some flat wings seem to glide well also from some of what I have read.

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 03:04:17 PM »
Wing loading is the total weight a given wing can lift assuming it has enough horsepower to run down the runway at a fast enough speed to generate the lift to fly, same to land. Speed is lift. No speed,  no wind over the wing, no lift or pressure differential. D>K

The standard definition of wing loading is the airplane weight or mass divided by the wing area. 
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 03:05:52 PM »
I knoe that most good Pa aircraft will glide very far before you run outta seed and it falls out of the sky.

The Jive Combat Team does not run outta seed.
The Jive Combat Team

Offline jim gilmore

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 03:10:53 PM »
Seems my short fingers missed the P
so the planes only glide soo far till they run out of SPEED...

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2013, 05:53:05 PM »
But then a 1/2A model is too small for reynolds numbers to be of any significance.

Tell that to a gnat.
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2013, 06:09:55 PM »
Tell that to a gnat.

1/2A's act like they are flying in honey. Gnats act like are flying in tar.

Brett

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2013, 06:14:20 PM »
I wonder if VGs would improve a gnats flying qualities....
Steve

Offline jim welch

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2013, 07:36:06 PM »
Gno......
AMA 89335

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2013, 10:55:32 PM »
I saw a Scientific American article many years ago about how microscopic insects fly.  Folks had made movies of them, which was the amazing part.  They had Reynolds numbers of like 4 to 6.
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Jeff Traxler

• T-Bone
  • 2019 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2013, 11:11:49 PM »
Why do they give aluminum foil numbers to bugs ??? ???
If you wanna sing the blues(Fly Stunt) you gotta pay your dues and "I know it don't come easy"

Offline Dan Bregar

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Field Marshall
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2013, 06:38:45 AM »
Jeff

To keep them from switching to Saran Wrap !!!  :##
AMA 33676

Offline 55chevr

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2013, 08:09:12 AM »
An issue with lift and wing loading that is over looked is that wings have volume to consider as well as area. 

Joe
Joe Daly

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2013, 11:08:46 AM »
An issue with lift and wing loading that is over looked is that wings have volume to consider as well as area. 

Huh?
The Jive Combat Team

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2013, 12:16:33 PM »
I agree with 55CHEVR. That is old thinking that goes back to the 1950's FF area. More volume more curve to get around it. Which is giving more lift the curve or the volume. Back in the 1940's and early 50's  FF airfoils were thin 5%. Then much more powerful motors came along and the could pull the thicker 10% airfoil models into the air, time went up and they carried the weight better also. The Ramrod was one of the early thick wings that dominated FF for a few years. I see people put down the volume idea but it was used a lot in FF design many many moons ago. I guess it is just another was of saying use a 18-20% airfoil.
 A 22 ounce Ringmaster will fly a very nice pattern but the 38 ounce Ringmaster is a dog. A ringmaster with a 20% airfoil would be a pretty nice flying plane but they would call it a Flight Streak.
Howard will now set us all straight  y1 y1
 Lets see how much volume do I need in my new plane? ~^
Ed NOTE      This is all in fun and no one should take it as a attack on there space >:D >:D >:D
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline jim gilmore

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2013, 02:30:13 PM »
I think some of the answers here are way off basha nd for the straight answer to my question the idea of volumn and Rn's are unneccessary.
So,e of the old ideas of aerodynamics ,miss the mark when trying to explane how flight works or is achieved.
Simply put how does a simple playing card travel over 100 feet when thrown with NO lifting surfaces . The simple answer is just the wing loading is so low that in order for it to fall it creates pressure under the card as it travels and rides on that pressure.
So my point is that a 1/2A pathfnder a 10-11 ounce airplane with a much larger wing area than an average 1/2A/
I would think that the average cox model with the exception of the stunter they had with foa, winds was close to 100 sq" while the modern 1/2A stunters are closer to 200+.

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2013, 04:43:12 PM »
Huh?

"Cubic Wing Loading" again.

Brett

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2013, 07:52:30 PM »
  "Cubic Wing Loading" again.

Brett

Was a big thing in the NE  back in the 90s  :-)

R

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2013, 11:36:34 PM »
So,e of the old ideas of aerodynamics ,miss the mark when trying to explane how flight works or is achieved.

Aerodynamics is understood well enough to make flying machines of all sizes that work just fine.  The basics were established in the 19th century.  
The Jive Combat Team

Offline jim gilmore

• Admiral
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2013, 12:23:23 AM »
Yes and NO...
I was schooled in aviation. And while some of the basics remain the same.
The understanding of fluid dynamics seems to have replaced some of what was once thought as the best explanation of the time.
   I am not saying they don't work...just that some of then have been changed from what it was in the 50's and 60's and 70's even.
A playing card follows a few different principals in flight...
and one being centripital/centrifugal forces which with lead to its arrarent flight being somewhat like a boomerang. At lease when I collected baseball cards it did. Though the flight will tend to not to come back so much as take the card on a barrel roll of sorts.
Something similar to what happens to helicopter blades is in effect. the side moving forward gets a little more lift from the induced drag vs the side moving away from the path of the cards flight gets a little less and the card rolls around its flight path.
But make the card 2x as heavy and the flight drops off drastically.
And this is where I am saying that the area vs the weight seems to reduce glide.
Since Glide has NO attribute to power imparted during the decent. Only the speed when it enters the decent.
Yes You can whip a model to some degree. But there is a limit.
And there is a definate point where NO whipping will make a rock glide any distance.
Most hollow logs with scale looking wings usually fall out of the sky.

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2013, 01:53:46 AM »
Yes and NO...
I was schooled in aviation. And while some of the basics remain the same.
The understanding of fluid dynamics seems to have replaced some of what was once thought as the best explanation of the time.
   I am not saying they don't work...just that some of then have been changed from what it was in the 50's and 60's and 70's even.

No, it hasn't changed.  I don't doubt that you learned it wrong.  Most popularized explanations of how wings work are incorrect.  You can't use them to calculate anything, which should give you a clue.  Phonies who use technical terms they don't understand aren't contributing anything either.  
The Jive Combat Team

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2013, 04:47:45 AM »
When I flew glider's in the 1950-60's I flew the 1-21 built in Elmira NY and you cold add 300 pounds of weight,water to the wings . In dead air the rate of sink dropped off a little but in any kind of disturbed air it improved a lot. It could fly in air that was avoided by other gliders. I flew one 285 miles in one day in 1961 when I was 20 years old.
EddyR

Offline jim gilmore

• Admiral
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2013, 06:20:47 AM »
then i'll stop asking i must be mistaken..

more wing area ant longer wings must not glide any better...

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2013, 08:33:50 AM »
then i'll stop asking i must be mistaken..

more wing area ant longer wings must not glide any better...

The problem is that a lot of us are not 1/2A experts and they operate in a much different range of Reynolds number than we are used to. It's the same issue as a 747 VS a flea, just to a lesser degree. Also, we don't usually optimize for glide. 

Brett

Offline jim gilmore

• Admiral
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2013, 11:59:15 AM »
If a honey bee or humming bird can fly even though the math says they cannot. Then the math is incorrect.
Regardless of how accepted the math is by those whom  have done the math.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Simply ut all I'm trying to ask irregardless of rn's and other stuff is simply .Any stunt model that can glide 1 lap before landing must have a decent glide.
So what is the approxmate wing area and weight of 10 models that glide well  and are the number close ???
Maybe  better quest might be  to ask if anyoby knows the
wing area and weight of several models and ask if they glide well ??
No i am not gonna ask about a shoestring and a ringmaster. Though I did when I was younger see a kid fly a very capable sterling f-51 that I know was built very light. Though again I have no measureent of the weight to get any numbers....

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2013, 12:49:22 PM »
If a honey bee or humming bird can fly even though the math says they cannot. Then the math is incorrect.
Regardless of how accepted the math is by those whom  have done the math.=

People who understand only math often get mislead. You can find threads here where people do math on stunt scores, calculate the standard deviation perfectly straight out of a book, and conclude that everybody tied for first place. That's because they did perfectly accurate calculations without understanding how they are derived or apply.

In the case of honeybees the math they are not doing, or applying incorrectly has to do with scaling effects, i.e. viscosity of air, i.e Reynolds number. The smaller the object the more "Sticky" the air seems. Even the difference between a 1/2A and a full stunter seems to make a difference. Air seems much more viscous/sticky to a 1/2A than it does a full stunt plane, and even more so compared to a full-size plane.

So those of us who know mostly about larger airplanes don't know the answer on how to make it glide for sure. We don't consider that.  I could make some guesses but cut and try is perfectly good way to find out, too. Large and light will very likely glide very short, like throwing a ping-pong ball, small and heavy will drop like a rock.Cox plastic airplane, and somewhere in-between will give you the best glide. I could tell you something definitive, but it might be wrong. Would that be preferable?

Brett

Offline jim gilmore

• Admiral
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2013, 01:53:39 PM »
No i'm not looking for wrong answerd....But I do not know what the wing area of a 1/2 a pathfinder is but it would seem they weight around 10-11 ounces and I would think thay have a decent glide compared to my 1/2a ringmaster covered in nylon and dope. I had that quite a few years ago and would maybe get 1/4 lap before you had to land it.

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2013, 02:24:29 PM »
Why do they give aluminum foil numbers to bugs ??? ???

Do they wear the  al. foil on their  heads?  protect the bug brain from  evil waves?   <= <= <=

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2013, 03:26:49 PM »
Do they wear the  al. foil on their  heads?  protect the bug brain from  evil waves?   <= <= <=

These messages may be helpful in understanding the ins and outs of mind control:

http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php?topic=11627.msg101613#msg101613

http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php?topic=19325.msg179129#msg179129

Brett

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2013, 03:36:55 PM »
P'raps the best way to get a good glide is to keep the speed up.  Once the engine quits the only horsepower the plane has is its momentum. One of the little Scientific guys maybe 8 ounces going 40 mph with a relative ton of drag.  The only way to get any kind of glide is to get the nose down and whip it hard.  That'll maybe get you half a lap.  The Half A racers go faster and have somewhat less drag.  In a pinch a good pilot can whip one to a pitman in maybe a lap.

the correlation you are looking for is the weight and speed of the plane vs the drag it has(don;t build a bipe).  You'll notice all the half A stunters are larger(~200 sq. in,.), heavier(10+oz) and use fairly potent engines so they can fly on longer lines.  All things that help them glide better, and give more room to establish a good glide path.  Dan Banjock has been flying a Larry Scarinzi design, the Queen Bee(6 in? span bipe) with an 010 Cox on about 8-10 ft. lines.  It flies pretty well, stunts and everything, but the glide angle is about 45 deg. down at best.  When the motor quits the question is will it make it even 5 ft. further.
phil Cartier

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2013, 08:38:20 AM »
In my experience, even the best 1/2A models don't glide very far, perhaps half a lap at most.  :'(

Just as an aside, for scaling models down, I like this formula for weight:

Weight= k x span x area

You establish your "k" for the source model and use it to find the correct weight for the scaled version. Not perfect, but it gets you pretty close! Aluminum foil strikes again.

DesignMan

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2013, 10:13:58 AM »
I think you got your answer to your question "Is there any correlation to weight and wing area that one can look for in getting a model that will fly and glide a reasonable distance after the engine quits"   NO
Ed

Online Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2013, 04:36:39 PM »
If I understand what is being written here, the higher the wing loading, the poorer an airplane will glide.  And Renolds numbers have something to do with it also.

Keith

Offline Doug Burright

• Commander
  • Legacy, Brodak kit
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2013, 12:56:45 AM »
Howard, You gotta tell me what your phrase is, at the bottom...Impacts are orange? Noblers are blue? Come on, it's interesting!
I will build it. It's gonna be really difficult to find me with an ARF. I know every bit of my airplane!

Offline Steve Thomas

• Commander
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2013, 05:28:10 AM »
If I understand what is being written here, the higher the wing loading, the poorer an airplane will glide. 

My hazy recollection is that an airframe's best glide ratio is actually the same is its max L/D ratio, and therefore independent of weight and wing loading.  If you make that same airframe heavier, it has to fly faster (and descend faster) for min drag speed, but its max L/D and glide ratio will still be the same. 

I only remember this because I had an irascible old aerodynamics lecturer who would get into animated discussions about movies where John Wayne, having lost both engines in his C-47 over the Himalayas, would try to glide further by throwing all the cargo and equipment out the back door.  This would make Mr Cameron quite cross, and he would say rude things about John Wayne's inadequate understanding of aerodynamics.  Probably not very fair on John Wayne, and to be honest ,I don't know if there was ever even any such movie.  ;)

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2013, 09:55:27 AM »
If a honey bee or humming bird can fly even though the math says they cannot.

This old story used to annoy John McMasters, so he looked it up.  As I recall, the error was an assumption about how honeybee muscle and structure works. 

Jim will note that a 747 can fly just like the math says it will.
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2013, 09:56:49 AM »
My hazy recollection is that an airframe's best glide ratio is actually the same is its max L/D ratio, and therefore independent of weight and wing loading.  If you make that same airframe heavier, it has to fly faster (and descend faster) for min drag speed, but its max L/D and glide ratio will still be the same.

Yep, pretty much.
The Jive Combat Team

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2013, 01:44:02 PM »
I can glide my very heavy,draggy 70 ounce  Bearcat for 1.5 laps easily but my 50 ounce Juno is like landing a kite. Get it down fast or it gets ugly

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2013, 02:28:41 PM »

I only remember this because I had an irascible old aerodynamics lecturer who would get into animated discussions about movies where John Wayne, having lost both engines in his C-47 over the Himalayas, would try to glide further by throwing all the cargo and equipment out the back door.  This would make Mr Cameron quite cross, and he would say rude things about John Wayne's inadequate understanding of aerodynamics.  Probably not very fair on John Wayne, and to be honest ,I don't know if there was ever even any such movie.  ;)

I can tell you that real airplane  glide much better when light down over a runway.

Randy

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2013, 02:42:45 PM »
Youse guys is missin' sumpin 'portant.   mw~

Line drag is a highly significant factor. As such, a heavy model will glide farther as it has more inertia to overcome the non-lifting lines.

DesignMan

Offline jim gilmore

• Admiral
« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2013, 04:40:52 PM »
i've seenpiper cubs have trouble gliding over the runway..just too light.

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2013, 08:52:49 PM »
If I understand what is being written here, the higher the wing loading, the poorer an airplane will glide.  And Renolds numbers have something to do with it also.

Keith

On the other hand they add dumpable water ballast to sailplanes to  increase their distance traveled per altitude lost.  When they get in rising air they dump the water to maximize the time aloft.  Light 747's (and their ilk) need to get closer to their destination than heavy ones to get there with the thrust at idle.  Aspect ratio per unit of weight to area is a huge factor.

Probably the easiest way to increase the gliding distance of a 1/2A would be to increase the wing loading and maximize the ability to whip it.

Ted

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2013, 11:40:24 PM »
Re lower wing loadings glide better than higher.

Once the engine quits the only source of energy to make the airplane continue to move forward is inertia which comes from mass in motion and the interplay of gravity and lift allowing the forward motion to remain constant until you run out of altitude; i.e., the forward motion must be adequate to develop the lift necessary to keep it from turning into a rock...no matter how big the wing.

When the engine quits the drag for a high or low wing loading stunter in level flight is essentially the same (yeah, induced drag is a bit higher for the heavy one but the frontal area and "shape" of the critter is the primary source of drag in level flight for any stunter).  Under power thrust is equal to drag in level flight whatever the wingloading.  
?

There are those among us who search valiantly for the zero oz stunter because it will turn quicker.  OK, to make the following point as obvious as possible, let's assume we've built a zero oz Impact and the other guy's got a more or less normal mid 60 oz one.  What happens to our two Impacts  when the prop stops spinning

When the engine quits on the "normal" one you've got ~60 oz going 50MPH.  There's a lot of inertia/stored energy available (mass times velocity squared seems about right) and the drag will, therefore, slow it gradually but you can establish your best glide speed, then drop the nose and retain a speed well above stall and easily glide a lap or more before landing.  Pretty simple.  Makes for great landings and lots of points.

The zero oz stunter on the other hand will be going more or less the same speed until the engine/motor quits...but then things get a lot different.  You've got the same motion but zero mass.  There is no inertia/stored energy.  The drag on the airframe, however, will be the same as the drag on the "normal" one.  As a result the forward motion will essentially stop, the wing will quickly stall and lose the ability to produce lift no matter how high the nose and the airplane will fall to the ground not much further around the circle than where the prop stopped producing thrust.

Now, I fully recognize it is unlikely anyone will, in the near future, build that zero oz stunter but the forces in play are the same...only the degree of difference changes.  If you want a good example of the beauty of inertia go watch some FAI speed models turning close to 300 KPH and count the number of laps before touchdown after the engine quits.  Now go to the combat circle and watch what happens when the engine quits at 115 or so MPH on a 500 square inch aerobatic machine that weighs--what, Howard--less than 20 oz???  Which has the higher wing loading?  Which glides the furthest?

I know, I've probably got some nomenclature wrong and the math might not add up to what I've "wagged" but I believe the principles and the bottom line pragmatic effects are pretty sound.  If you want that 1/2A to glide for a decent landing aim for a (wagged) wing loading of 8 to  9 oz per square foot of wing area (144 sq. in); less than the 12 to 13 of the average competitive "big" stunter to recognize the scaling effects but still light enough to do tricks with a high zoot 1/2A in the nose.  

I'm not an expert on 1/2As but I'd guess something like a 288 square inch(two square foot), 5 to 1 aspect ratio wing (~38" span and an average chord of 7.5") weighing between 16 and 20 oz would be a pretty good start.

Ted

p.s.  Find that thread on the Stuntfire that was simmering for a while and note the comments about the glide of this ultra light behemoth.  Scott's amazing ships were probably as close to the zero oz stunter as anyone has come.  Flew great, glide...not so great.

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2013, 01:39:15 AM »
When the engine quits the drag for a high or low wing loading stunter in level flight is essentially the same

This is not necessary to be 100% so.

Every airplane has its best gliding ratio which will be at particular lift coefficient. Therefore does not matter if light or heavy the airplane is, it must fly AT that particular lift coefficient to reach its best gliding. In that case it will fly at the same slope angle, means it will fly the same distance from the same altitude. BUT ... lighter airplane will fly at that lift coefficient at slower speed and therefore also drag will be smaller. It is linear, so yes the gliding ratio of heavy or light airplane is theroretiaclly same. Howewer there is again one "BUT" and that is reynolds number. Especially smaller models will fly at much better RE number if they are more loaded, so practically we can get better gliding ratio on heavier models.

Other question is, if we can manage to fly the model at its best gliding ratio, improper speed will affect gliding much more. If we speak bout c/l stunters, the speed comes from lap times, so in that case Ted's statement is true ... at least on begin of glide.

Offline David Hoover

• Commander
« Reply #45 on: August 25, 2013, 01:36:36 PM »
This is a bit of an aside but it is one way of getting around the "engine quits, plane falls from the sky" experience that is common in 1/2A models.  Stevens Aeromodel makes a 250 square inch trainer, the Ring Rat 250 - low aspect ratio, fairly thick wing guaranteed to be draggy.  This is an electric powered model and the timer/esc package they sell for it does a really neat thing - it gives the usual momentary speed up to indicate that the flight is about to end then it GRADUALLY THROTTLES BACK SO YOU LAND UNDER POWER.  You always have adequate airspeed and control as you lose altitude.  What a wonderful setup for learning to fly control line!  They also have a smaller 100 square inch machine and I suspect that they do the same thing on the power package for it.
Life is simple. Eat. Sleep. Fly!
Best, Hoovie

Offline Serge_Krauss

• Admiral
« Reply #46 on: August 25, 2013, 07:48:23 PM »
This is not a facetious post - really.

Ted's fictitious 0-oz stunter is a useful concept, because what is best lies somewhere between extremes, and the 0-oz weight is one of the extremes. The 0-oz stunter has no mass. Therefore the deceleration from drag - any drag of any amount from any source - would be infinite for this plane (F = MA => a = F/M = F/0). It would take none of the circle to stop and drop, except that it naturally has no weight to pull it earthward. It didn't need any lift either. So its massless engine would have pulled it against drag where directed, except for unpredicted air effects, naturally flown with down-thrust countering lift, and when the massless engine stopped, the plane would have accelerated upward, beyond control, by the air displacing it, air that DOES have mass and weight. That is not a very controllable stunter, and it's "glide" doesn't exist. Best look for your ideal "glide" where lift/drag ratios exist - that is, where a plane has some weight to lift. For each plane, that falls somewhere between planes with infinite and no mass. Where in between - that is, at what wing or span loading - depends on the particular effects of drag and lift. These can be found, but it is often easier just to use one's math comparatively to judge between already understood standards based on (measured) experience.

(Edit: I probably should have emphasized that any unbalanced force would accelerate thie zero-ounce stunter infinitely, requiring reaction times of 0.000000000... seconds. Not controlable at all.)

As for bees, of course "the" math describes and predicts their flight, IF the mechanism of their particular flight means is recognized. It's not just the RN's, but the actual wing motion and interaction and what they do to the air - and by Newton's 3rd law, it to them. Many, perhaps all, people use math wrong sometime along the way. It is troubling so often though for those who use it reasonably well and have the humility to respect and look for their own errors - a basic pillar of scientific method - to so often hear that this basic tool, the language of science, is just a pompous, misleading fiction. Those big airplanes and space vehicles fly so very well, because people understand the physical laws of this universe enough to cause them to do so - and predominantly for that reason. The humble bumble creature obeys the same laws, described by the same mathematics. References to sailplane ballasting and ground effects cited here are certainly relevant to landing glides. Just don't confuse the large and tiny, the slow and the fast. These are indeed understood to differ in their effects. - SK
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 08:26:38 AM by Serge_Krauss »

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2013, 08:36:08 AM »
My guess is that there is some optimum point between too light and too heavy. Too light and line drag becomes a huge factor. Too heavy and induced drag is the culprit.

And, although engine off glide is interesting, I would prefer to optimize for maneuverability.

DesignMan

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #48 on: December 05, 2013, 08:10:52 AM »
Then theres Gust Stability .  >:D

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here