News:

• May 02, 2024, 10:00:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: TVC what do you use with stabilator design  (Read 1337 times)

Offline sleepy gomez

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
TVC what do you use with stabilator design
« on: July 26, 2013, 05:41:12 PM »
What tail volume co-efficient do you use with stabilator (flying tail) designs as opposed to conventional stab/elevator? 

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: TVC what do you use with stabilator design
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2013, 10:22:08 PM »
If stability sizes the tail, the stabilator and conventional tails would be the same size.  If having enough control force from the tail is what determines its size, the stabilator can be a little smaller.  If you are converting an existing airplane with conventional tail to stabilator, I'd keep it the same size and shape, but give the stabilator less movement.  Be sure to hinge the stabilator forward of the quarter chord.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2013, 11:30:32 AM »
If stability sizes the tail, the stabilator and conventional tails would be the same size.  If having enough control force from the tail is what determines its size, the stabilator can be a little smaller.  If you are converting an existing airplane with conventional tail to stabilator, I'd keep it the same size and shape, but give the stabilator less movement.  Be sure to hinge the stabilator forward of the quarter chord.

And cut the movement WRT the flap to about half what it would be for the elevator.

Brett

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2013, 07:39:24 PM »
I used Wild Bill's design articles a lot.  One of them was very useful in sizing an elevator or the position of the pivot on a stabilator to get a useable pushrod force.  If you use the area of an existing stabilzer/elevator and hinge it at the front the controls won't be able top move it effectively.  A pivot with 10-22% of the area in front of the hinge will work, but it was handy to use his calculations to make sure the bellcrank would move it properly(i.e. not run out of control into the wind, overhead).
phil Cartier

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2013, 12:46:54 AM »
And I copied Phil's hinge position for my best stabilator combat planes.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here