News:

• April 27, 2024, 12:51:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Thick air foils vs thin ones  (Read 4915 times)

John Leidle

• Trade Count: (0)
Thick air foils vs thin ones
« on: August 02, 2012, 10:19:57 AM »
  I am in quest of your observations & findings as the title subject goes. I seem to always have so much line tension & feel the need to reduce it.  Also the need of more power to pull a thicker airfoil ,Is there truely a down side of a thinner airfoil? Also what are some of the thinner airfoils?  Dave Fitzgerald's plane ? Phil Granderson's? Junar? I'd like to hear something on the subject.
  John

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Thick air foils vs thin ones
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 10:53:28 AM »
What are the ranges of what you would call a thin airfoil?  A thick airfoil?  What kind of LE?  High point location?  Are you going to consider flap in chord width to do your comparisons?  In short, what is your real question?  And I am not trying to be trite.

And this should be in the design section.

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 11:02:15 AM »
Gots to specify percentages or, actual thicknesses bro.
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 11:36:24 AM »
  I am in quest of your observations & findings as the title subject goes. I seem to always have so much line tension & feel the need to reduce it.  Also the need of more power to pull a thicker airfoil ,Is there truely a down side of a thinner airfoil? Also what are some of the thinner airfoils?  Dave Fitzgerald's plane ? Phil Granderson's? Junar? I'd like to hear something on the subject.
  John

It's not a trivial issue, and you'll get a lot of misinformation in a place like this.  You can get Profili or Javafoil free or cheap and get a clue.  Also, Igor wrote an article for Stunt News that has some interesting information.  Alas, the NACA (as far as I know) didn't do tests on airfoils with flaps like we use.  I can't see how airfoil thickness can affect line tension except for wing weight or some perverse aeroelastic effect from a flexible structure.  Here are some points:

You can have an airfoil of any thickness that sucks (both figuratively and literally).

The thinner the airfoil, the heavier the structure it will take to keep it from blowing off.

Drag (or power required) is not proportional to thickness.  It's not even necessarily bad.  Read what Igor has posted in Stunth Anger or Google "drag bucket".

The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 11:44:33 AM »
Most of the Open class flyers will be basing their aerodynamic design work off the grounding of Ted Fancher and Al Rabe. Personally, I tend to look to the late Big Jim Greenaway, as I knew him personally, and consider him to be a genius. Igor Burger, has also done some seminal work in recent years.

In addition, while Randy Smith is so universally known as the man who developed the worlds best stunt motors ie. the PA, A LOT of National and Worlds,( and countless local) victories were achieved utilizing Randy Smith aerodymanics.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 12:21:57 PM by proparc »
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 12:17:54 PM »
You can get Profili or Javafoil free or cheap and get a clue.

Do you really feel that the airfoil simulation tools are really up to snuff as far as telling it like it is?  Or did you mean get just a clue, and then still have to build some planes to try out?
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2012, 12:23:03 PM »
Do you really feel that the airfoil simulation tools are really up to snuff as far as telling it like it is?  Or did you mean get just a clue, and then still have to build some planes to try out?

Just a clue.
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2012, 12:28:05 PM »

You have to build some airplanes to find out. One thing you will find out is that airfoil polars, while interesting and educational, will not tell you much of what you need to know about it from a practical standpoint.  I do know one thing - that you can't figure it out independent of the engine/propulsion characteristics.

Brett

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2012, 02:07:05 PM »
 You have to build some airplanes to find out. One thing you will find out is that airfoil polars, while interesting and educational, will not tell you much of what you need to know about it from a practical standpoint.  I do know one thing - that you can't figure it out independent of the engine/propulsion characteristics.

Brett

I agree with Brett, the power train makes a noticeable difference.  Aaron had an Ares he flew for a long time.  It has what is probably considered a "thin" airfoil.  It needed to fly around 4.9-5.1 for optimum performance and the RTF weight was 38 oz.  With a change to an engine with much more usable power, the plane could be slowed down to 5.3-5.4 and flew with more authority, and the RTF weight did not appreciably change.  So the power train DOES make a difference.

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2012, 02:09:28 PM »
John,
In regards to your question regarding those programs, the answer is yes and no. Meaning, for some aspects of model aviation yes. For our needs definitely not. Specifically, those programs were designed for, and will do an okay job on simple freeflights and RC glider planes. They were never designed, and in no way, are they capable of handling the maneuver aerodynamics we do.

While I can tell you what would be required, that would be beyond the scope of this discussion.
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2012, 02:28:55 PM »
While I can tell you what would be required, that would be beyond the scope of this discussion.

Go for it.
The Jive Combat Team

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2012, 04:05:12 PM »
Go for it.

Howard Rush,Serge Krauss etc. would enjoy it. But, the poor cat who started this thread, with his simple question, would wonder what the hell is up with us.  LL~

It is analogous to a guy who asks what glow plug to use, and next thing you know, we are knee deep into blow down, by pass ports, BHP, etc. LL~
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 07:05:23 PM by proparc »
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2012, 05:51:33 PM »
Lighter planes flying slower pull less.

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2012, 06:01:48 PM »
LL~ Howard Rush,Serge Krauss etc. would enjoy it. But, the poor cat who started this thread, with his simple question, would wonder what the hell is up with us.  LL~

It is analogous to a guy who asks what glow plug to use, and next thing you know, we are knee deep into blow down, by pass ports, BHP, etc. LL~

So start a new thread.  You'll get plenty of attention.  I know there's unsteady aerodynamics and stuff in a stunt corner, but I can't figure out what's going on.
The Jive Combat Team

John Leidle

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2012, 06:15:20 PM »
 Has anyone here flow Phil Granderson's design much  maybe that will help me more than the scientific language.

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2012, 06:23:54 PM »
I think Phil Granderson has.  He's built Divas with different thickness wings.  Rich Walbridge built one, too.  The thin one is called the Skinny Diva.  I was going to build one with an extra-thick wing and call it Big Leg Diva, but that's a lot of work for a joke. 
The Jive Combat Team

John Leidle

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2012, 06:26:25 PM »
 Keith,  I wanted start this thing in the open section believing it will get more exposeure here ,point well taken at this end.
  John

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2012, 08:58:52 PM »
.....  I can't see how airfoil thickness can affect line tension except for wing weight or some perverse aeroelastic effect from a flexible structure. 

....... Drag (or power required) is not proportional to thickness. 

But its logical to assume that drag (or power required) is 'related' to thickness and the greater frontal area of a 'thick' section will effect wind penetration and therefore speed, and therefore line tension.

I know that 'flat plate' types of sections penetrate windy conditions better on combat wings than a properly shaped airfoil.
MAAA AUS 73427

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
 Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.  It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2012, 10:38:02 PM »
But its logical...

Intuitive, maybe.  The higher the max lift coefficient (the highest useful lift coefficient, maybe) of an airfoil, the smaller you can make the wing.  The smaller the wing, the less the drag.  At our flight conditions, the airfoils with the highest lift coefficients tend to be plump.  Also, thicker airfoils tend to have less drag in maneuvers than thin ones, even if they have more in level flight.  In stunt, low maneuver drag and high level-flight drag may be virtues. 

The best combat airfoils I've used are 15 to 16.5% thick.  The lower chord they make possible relative to the airplanes currently in fashion enabled me to go upwind where other airplanes had to turn back.  It made for fragile airplanes, though.
The Jive Combat Team

Offline John Sunderland

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2012, 01:16:11 AM »
I flew very thick blunt airfoils and found that they worked well for the power plant I originally built it around, but I didnt like how it performed with some real ponies under the hood when I went to the pipe. My airfoil created to much lift for the new ponies IMO. It was easy to over control. What I found was, the more usable controlled power you have, the less airplane weight is a factor and the new found power renders the once necessary fat airfoil obsolete unless you get into extremes of gross over building and paint. The static thrust you feel on high RPM low pitch set-ups or in a nut shell "modern power plants" makes a helluva difference! As does all the nice control systems we enjoy and construction techniques that equate to stiffer flying surfaces and so on.

Offline Richard Walbridge

• Lieutenant
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2012, 08:20:43 AM »
I think Phil Granderson has.  He's built Divas with different thickness wings.  Rich Walbridge built one, too.  The thin one is called the Skinny Diva.  I was going to build one with an extra-thick wing and call it Big Leg Diva, but that's a lot of work for a joke. 

John,
IMHO, After test flying two of PTG's masterpeices, and buiding a Diva of my own, I have to say from just raw, gut feeling, I feel that the performance package (engine, pipe, surface areas, airfoil, and moments) have really opened my eyes! I don't think I'll ever build a thick airfoiled plane again.  I'm sure you watched it fly at the NW Regionals this year.

Rich Walbridge
Central Valley Stunt Mafia

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2012, 09:49:36 PM »
IMHO, After test flying two of PTG's masterpeices, and buiding a Diva of my own, I have to say from just raw, gut feeling, I feel that the performance package (engine, pipe, surface areas, airfoil, and moments) have really opened my eyes! I don't think I'll ever build a thick airfoiled plane again.

This is where the engine setup makes such a big difference. It's been clear for a couple of decades that with unlimited power on tap and low-pitch props, a plane of any reasonable weight and a sufficiently blunt LE (to minimize separation at the LE) could generate sufficient lift almost regardless of the thickness. Once you get past that, it's a matter of how you run the engine and how much speed stability you need. Thicker = more speed stability, thinner = less speed stability.

Note that perfect speed stability is not necessarily what you want. It's swell if it's nice conditions, in heavy conditions I would rather have a little less than perfect to ensure that the groundspeed/line tension doesn't vary so much.

With a very soft-running engine (like we have been striving for for many years) it's easy to get too much speed stability. The Trivial Pursuit and Infinity were designed before we fully grasped the implications of piped engine performance. While they have an enviable record, with the relative flat-running engine setups the wing thickness was probably overdone. First time I flew David's first Thunder Gazer, in a pretty decent wind, I was astonished that when I turned back in to the wind on the overhead, it didn't float, it just went through. This despite the PA75 being set up to run very softly like a RO-Jett. The same engine in a Trivial Pursuit got a little floaty in the same spot. Part of the difference was the higher wing loading, and part of it was the airfoil thickness - the wing is very close in all relevant dimensions to the Imitation, an ST46 airplane from 78, which was on the thick side at the time for the available power but is nothing compared to a TP or Infinity-type airfoil.

Note also Howard's comments that the drag and the lift aren't remotely proportional to the thickness, in fact it's a pretty weak function of thickness - twice as thick doesn't mean twice the lift in any thickness we could actually use.

Brett

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2012, 10:29:12 PM »
First time I flew David's first Thunder Gazer, in a pretty decent wind, I was astonished that when I turned back in to the wind on the overhead, it didn't float, it just went through. This despite the PA75 being set up to run very softly like a RO-Jett. The same engine in a Trivial Pursuit got a little floaty in the same spot.

Brett

If you examine video of the Stargazer, and the Thundergazer, the Stargazer seems to have more of a cracking corner, and the Thundergazer seems to have significantly better penetration. No doubt, the very different wing sections are at play hear. Suffice to say, the only person that can substantiate this is Mr. Fitzgerald.
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2012, 10:51:18 PM »
If you examine video of the Stargazer, and the Thundergazer, the Stargazer seems to have more of a cracking corner, and the Thundergazer seems to have significantly better penetration. No doubt, the very different wing sections are at play hear. Suffice to say, the only person that can substantiate this is Mr. Fitzgerald.

I *have* flown both airplanes and do have some idea the thinking that went into them, particularly the TP/Star Gazer since that and the Infinity were designed at essentially the same time and the same underlying ideas, based on a lengthy conversation between Ted, Keith and I in around 1990.

One thing is certain and that is that neither of them is running out of lift anywhere at any competitive corner radius. The Thundergazer wing is hardly any different from the airplane I flew successfully in 1987 with an ST46 and a lowly *35FP*. The difference is that with the tremendously improved ability to keep the speed up in the corners, his corners better at 15 oz/sq ft than mine did at 11.2!

This is not 1985 any more and we aren't using ST46/60 any more. You don't have to design the airplane exactly the right size and with exactly the airfoil thickness to get good performance. Unless you completely screw up (like the ARF Strega where they don't bother to shape the LE correctly), they all turn more tightly than you need them to.

If you do want to use 4-2 break motors, then, maybe you need to follow the same design concepts we used to. People had fiddled with that for 40 years, they had found the right answer for that particular problem - just build a Temptation with an ST46, it's not going get a lot better than that.

Otherwise, there's a huge range of combinations that will work, and within that range, you can design to get the types of speed characteristics  and feel you want and around the type of engine run you want to use.

Brett

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2012, 12:55:02 AM »
This issue of pumping 60 class power into 46 size goes back aways. Jimmy Casales argued vehemently for this. He went on to back it up with 4 Nats wins. All with 60 muscle in 46 size ships. 4 Nats wins is good. y1
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2012, 01:02:06 AM »
This issue of pumping 60 class power into 46 size goes back aways. Jimmy Casales argued vehemently for this. He went on to back it up with 4 Nats wins. All with 60 muscle in 46 size ships. 4 Nats wins is good. y1

When that was the only option, yes. The 4 viable options we have now - Retro 60 or similar, piped whatever, 4-stroke, or electric - all provide more performance without the problems you get when you put an  ST60 in an ST46 airplane.

Brett

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2012, 09:51:39 AM »

Best example I can recall of this approach was when Gene Schaeffer (SP) started putting ST .46s into what were then .35 sized airplanes.  My 'Old timers" doesn't allow me to recall all the names but one of my favorite combinations of all times (talking OPPs--i.e. Other Peoples' Planes) was his all silver ~550 sq.in. ship with a tiny single rudder running the ST with a Three blade Tornado 10 X 6(may even have been the original silver nylon version) that sounded like a sewing machine throughout the entire pattern  It was sort of a forerunner of modern set-ups with cubic inches driving an aero interface (propeller) appropriate to the needs of the airplane rather than the supposed "right" prop for the engine.  I went home and promptly tried the little Tornado on my then "hot" ship--a high aspect ratio very low wing loading critter, significantly larger than Gene's ship--and loved the combination.  The engine "never" worked hard but flew the airplane beautifully.

By the way, Gene flew the most consistently correct shapes to maneuvers of anybody I've watched over the years, and when coupled with his oft acclaimed tight corners it was a deadly combination.  That he didn't win the big ones consistently was a head scratcher.

Ted

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2012, 04:52:15 PM »

(Clip)

By the way, Gene flew the most consistently correct shapes to maneuvers of anybody I've watched over the years, and when coupled with his oft acclaimed tight corners it was a deadly combination.  That he didn't win the big ones consistently was a head scratcher.

Ted

At least one year, Gene was high point at the Team Trials, I think it was in Dayton.

Keith

steven yampolsky

« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2012, 07:18:23 PM »
I should add something from the other side of the pond too. Russian designs have pretty much settled on 18% airfoils several decades ago and their airplanes are pretty competitive too. While separated by the iron curtain, it is amazing to see that they have come to pretty much the same conclusions as we have. I guess science is the same regardless of where you are.  <=

An interesting piece of history: Soviet era Aviation colleges encouraged their students to participate in intercollegiate modeling competitions. Like our college football teams(only poorer, much, much poorer), Aviation colleges would send their CL and FF teams to other colleges to compete during the school breaks.

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2012, 10:46:12 AM »
I should add something from the other side of the pond too. Russian designs have pretty much settled on 18% airfoils several decades ago and their airplanes are pretty competitive too.   <=

Igor Patchenko flies one of those ships in Classic.
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline PJ Rowland

• AUS - 29541 AMA - 809970
  • Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2012, 10:28:46 PM »
" One thing is certain and that is that neither of them is running out of lift anywhere at any competitive corner radius "

That being taken onboard - Why do VG's help even the Highest Zoot ship?

If the net gain is to alter the lift?
If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.” - Bruce Lee.

I Yearn for a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2012, 10:39:35 PM »
At least one year, Gene was high point at the Team Trials, I think it was in Dayton.

Keith

You're right, Keith.  I probably should have said "more" consistently. 

Although I may have been more easily impressed in those days, what I recall was a very rule book sized pattern with consistently excellent shapes and  great corners all performed apparently effortlessly.  A similar effort I found particularly impressive (that belied the "then and now" preference for bigger, muscled up powerwise ships), was Billy's Perroquet (sp?) which was  Ares sized with something like an HP 40 running in much the same manner as Gene's ST powered ship.  Seems like he flew that ship for a couple of years at the same time Gene was flying the same approach.  They both flew with sewing machine precision with no "bellowing" in the nose.  Great stuff.

Ted

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2012, 09:15:55 AM »
Ted said: "By the way, Gene flew the most consistently correct shapes to maneuvers of anybody I've watched over the years, and when coupled with his oft acclaimed tight corners it was a deadly combination.  That he didn't win the big ones consistently was a head scratcher."

Like I have stated many times, Gene was the best flyer who never won the Nats. Personally, In all these years, I have only seen two patterns that were close to perfect.. one by Gene, the other by Ed Elasick.

AMA 7544

John Leidle

« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2012, 06:34:11 PM »
  Hey Rich,
  Glad to hear from you. I saw your plane but didnt watch very many flights last May . I talked to Phil & the Zelot is my next plane nothing else seems close .OPS .40 for power, I'm  really anxious.
  John

Offline Chuck_Smith

• Captain
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2012, 10:41:23 AM »
Based on history and  my experience in wind tunnels, the biggest difference is in the stall characteristics.

"Thin" wings have a tendency to stall from the LE backwards, "thick" from the TE forward. LE backward stalls happen quickly, TE forward stalls happen more gradually after the critical AoA is achieved.

Since stunt airfoils are symmetrical the slope of the Cl vs AoA curve will be 2Pi going through the origin regardless of thickness, but the sharpness of the corner at critical AOA will lessen as the wing gets thicker.

With a CLPA ship, with such large excursions from level flight, having a wing stall from the back forward is prefferable ( in my opinion ) as it is more controlled.  We don't do snap rolls or spins so we would rather delay the break than encourage it.

A thicker wing also allows better structure and stiffness, and stiffness is actually pretty critical on how an aircraft responds.

What is often missed in CLPA aerodynamics is apparent mass effects. When the structure of the airframe becomes sufficiently light for its size and makes quick maneuvers, the mass of the air dispaced when the airframe rotates around its CG can be of sufficient magnitude to throw off "traditional" stability and control analysis.

You can feel this if you grab your stunter by the nose and hold it level. Use your wrist to quickly Move it to a vertical orientation. Feel that? It actually effects how the airplane corners. (It also explains why the Wright Flyer was controllable even though it's inherently unstable on paper - I actually have Bode plots of the Wright Flyer if anyone else is that deep into the nerd forest and would like to see them.)
AMA 76478

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2012, 07:26:17 PM »
A thicker wing also allows better structure and stiffness, and stiffness is actually pretty critical on how an aircraft responds.

Amen

What is often missed in CLPA aerodynamics is apparent mass effects.

Amen again.  Heck, all of dynamics is often missed.  I would like to include apparent mass in my ciphering, but I don't know how.  Can you point me to a source?

I actually have Bode plots of the Wright Flyer if anyone else is that deep into the nerd forest and would like to see them.)

You betcha.
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Chuck_Smith

• Captain
« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2012, 04:50:14 AM »
Amen

Amen again.  Heck, all of dynamics is often missed.  I would like to include apparent mass in my ciphering, but I don't know how.  Can you point me to a source?

You betcha.

Yeah, I mean, people love to look at airfoils and try to predict how and airplane will fly, but it doesn't work that way. Airfoil data is steady state, 2D flow in a laminar stream. Not very real -world for a CLPA stunter twisting and gyrating about it's CG!

Sure, if I get tasked to head a design team for a new aircraft we go through mission segments - taxi, takeoff, loiter, cruise... and do the whole sizing exercise, determine the gross weight and then decide how much it will cost. Bet the company you got it right and pass the gate review. :)

But airfoil selection is more about efficiency, how much fuel can we cram into the wing...how much structure do we need to support 4 JDAMS at 4 G's?

Maneuvering is about shedding vortices off the TE, and how efficient your control areas are.

I remember back to either Lake Charles or Oshkosh, looking at the airfoil on Rabe's Mustang and thinking how weird it looked. It looked like an ellipse with a flap on it. But it worked. And back then, hang gliders were soaring just fine with Ragallo wings. And lifting body aircraft had the curve on the bottom!

Long story short - for a CLPA stunter, after years of study and lots of cold beers thinking about it... how you build it and the wing's aspect ratio are important, airfoil selection is way, way down the list.  

A sharp trailing edge and a tight gap between the wing and the flaps trumps any airfoil. At least IMHO.

BTW Howard, busy here, give me a few days to find some stuff on the apparent mass....busy at work and this weekend Reading PA for Top Fuel dragsters. I LOVE being in a cloud of nitro!

AMA 76478

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2012, 10:47:23 AM »
Back to "thick and thin".  I've tried all sorts of stunt airfoils.  Still the best seems to be the lowly NACA 0018.  With or without flaps, it gives the best all around good results.

Floyd
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Advertise Here
Tags: Airfoil 

Advertise Here