News:

• April 26, 2024, 07:13:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: T-6 Texan Model  (Read 2076 times)

Offline Jerry Bohn

• ACE
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
T-6 Texan Model
« on: October 30, 2007, 11:37:29 AM »
Ever since I was a kid in the 50's-60's, I heard of training pilots with a T-6 Texan. Since it seems to be an excellant full scale plane to train pilots with, I assume it must have excellent flight characteristics.
There now seems to be an interest in scale models either flown in fun scale or scale and some adapted for stunt.
Has there ever been a C/L model of this plane?
Jerry Bohn

Offline Andrew Hathaway

• Captain
Re: T-6 Texan Model
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2007, 11:46:58 AM »
There was a Berkley/Sig kit.  I've also seen pics of a T6 someone built for stunt, but I can't remember the details. 

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2007, 01:17:21 PM »
Air Trails, Jan 50, has a construction article for the T-6 by the master, S. Calhoun Smith. 1" = 1', 42 inch span, 232 sq in.  It is scale.  The plans show a symmetrical airfoil along with a scale airfoil.  Complete scale marking details for an Air Force version are provided with the plans.  Smith claims that loops and eights are possible.  Scale OTS anyone?

That design is from the era where the put huge engines on small comparitively small CL airplanes.  The article recommends an engine from .32 to .60.  For that size of an airplane, a .15 would work if kept light.  A .25 on a light airplane would be a comfortable perfoming airplane.  (232 sq in is the size of a good 1/2A stunt ship at 11 oz these days.)

Plans are available from the AMA plans service.  A copy of the article is available from the AMA museum.

Keith Trostle

Offline Don Hutchinson AMA5402

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2007, 03:35:34 PM »
I have plans for a profile T-6G. It is a 500 sq.in. wing for an OS40 or Magnum 36 type engine. Very close to scale. The fuselage is a built up truss with 1/8 balsa sheet sides and it will fly very well. Just ask Joe Gilbert! Does require some building effort but makes a pretty nice model.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2007, 10:09:39 AM »
Air Trails, Jan 50, has a construction article for the T-6 by the master, S. Calhoun Smith. 1" = 1', 42 inch span, 232 sq in.  It is scale.  The plans show a symmetrical airfoil along with a scale airfoil.  Complete scale marking details for an Air Force version are provided with the plans.  Smith claims that loops and eights are possible.  Scale OTS anyone?

That design is from the era where the put huge engines on small comparitively small CL airplanes.  The article recommends an engine from .32 to .60.  For that size of an airplane, a .15 would work if kept light.  A .25 on a light airplane would be a comfortable perfoming airplane.  (232 sq in is the size of a good 1/2A stunt ship at 11 oz these days.)

Plans are available from the AMA plans service.  A copy of the article is available from the AMA museum.

Keith Trostle

Hi Keith,

With a symmetrical airfoil shown on the plans, that makes it OTS legal and a perfect candidate for Uncle Mikey's "Scale Stunter" Award at VSC! ;D

Heck, I would STILL put a Brodak 25 in it.!

Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Dave Nyce

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
  • Hooters restaurant on Oahu
    • Revolution Sensor Company
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2007, 02:16:52 PM »
Just thought that I'd mention, for anyone doing a scale AT-6, that I had a great-uncle who was a well-known stunt pilot (and test pilot for Brewster aviation, including some testing on the Corsair) in Pennsylvania, and who died in 1948 doing an inverted stunt in his AT-6 (even though the AT-6 didn't have a carburetor for inverted flight). I think I can get photos (and a full-page newspaper write-up on him) to show details of his AT-6, which could be helpful for anyone trying to build a scale model of a specific plane. I believe his was polished aluminum.
Dave Nyce   New Bern, NC 
AMA: L356

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2007, 01:33:32 AM »
Hi Keith,

With a symmetrical airfoil shown on the plans, that makes it OTS legal and a perfect candidate for Uncle Mikey's "Scale Stunter" Award at VSC! ;D

Heck, I would STILL put a Brodak 25 in it.!

Bill,
To keep the total weight down to the point of it actually being able to compete, it must have the 15. If it weighs more than 20 oz it's pretty much too heavy. Maybe 22 oz. (My Tigercat was just built too heavily. To do it again I would use a lot less wood, lost foam technique on everything, including fuse/nacelles with molded skins of 1/16th, etc. It needed a minimum of 10 oz less weight, 34 oz total, to fly the OTS pattern.)
That is my philosophy on my new Calhoun Smith entry for OTS at VSC (which is 200 sq's). With small ships the weight is killer, and the drag is too. I'll use .012's on it and the horn and bellcrank will be really light, 2/56 screws (seven of them), electric spinner, ElectraLite wheels, tail skid, etc. Draconian measures on the construction, Al Rabe techniques (molded fuse, light nose), Dick Mathis techniques (limited glue), Keith Trostle techniques (monocoque molded sheet stab and fin). Paint it like a rubber-powered model.
Why do I do this!
Chris...

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2007, 05:27:55 PM »
I have plans for a profile T-6G. It is a 500 sq.in. wing for an OS40 or Magnum 36 type engine. Very close to scale. The fuselage is a built up truss with 1/8 balsa sheet sides and it will fly very well. Just ask Joe Gilbert! Does require some building effort but makes a pretty nice model.

Hi Don,

Hopefully the Dauntless will grace the contest circuit next year!  All of your planes look fantastic. ;D
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2007, 05:31:44 PM »

Bill,
To keep the total weight down to the point of it actually being able to compete, it must have the 15. If it weighs more than 20 oz it's pretty much too heavy. Maybe 22 oz. (My Tigercat was just built too heavily. To do it again I would use a lot less wood, lost foam technique on everything, including fuse/nacelles with molded skins of 1/16th, etc. It needed a minimum of 10 oz less weight, 34 oz total, to fly the OTS pattern.)
That is my philosophy on my new Calhoun Smith entry for OTS at VSC (which is 200 sq's). With small ships the weight is killer, and the drag is too. I'll use .012's on it and the horn and bellcrank will be really light, 2/56 screws (seven of them), electric spinner, ElectraLite wheels, tail skid, etc. Draconian measures on the construction, Al Rabe techniques (molded fuse, light nose), Dick Mathis techniques (limited glue), Keith Trostle techniques (monocoque molded sheet stab and fin). Paint it like a rubber-powered model.
Why do I do this!
Chris...

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your thoughts on this subject.  I believe we have been guilty for decades of over building our strunt planes.  So I understnd your theories on keeping weight down. 

When the time comes that I will finally be able to attend VSC, I hope Uncle Mikey is still having the "Scale Stunter" award!  2010 looks like the first available date for me......
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Dave Nyce

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2008, 07:29:58 AM »
On the full-scale plane, what is the difference between a T-6 Texan and an AT-6?

Dave
Dave Nyce   New Bern, NC 

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2008, 07:48:04 AM »
On the full-scale plane, what is the difference between a T-6 Texan and an AT-6?

Dave

None that i have ever heard of, but I could be wrong. ;D

"A"T  was a designation for "A"dvanced Trainer at one time I understand.
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Don Hutchinson AMA5402

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2008, 12:54:21 PM »
When the USAF became a serarate service in 1947, they no longer were using the Stearman PT-17 nor the Vultee BT-13, only the AT-6 so they dropped the A from the designator. The T-6G was the result of the AF needing a bunch of training aircraft. These were not new airframes, they were total factory rebuilds of older AT-6 C's and D's. They were done by North American at Los Angeles, Fresno and Columbus, Ohio. I was the lucky crew chief of a fresh "G" in the Minnesota ANG in 1953, thus the paint job on the one pictured above.
Don

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2008, 02:45:37 PM »
T = Trainer

A = Attack

When you put weapons on trainer it becomes an Attack Trainer, as in the AT-37 Dragonfly and the AT-28 Trojan.

Same-same for Cargo, as in AC-130 Spectre.

-------------------------

ps:

Like a lot of other airplanes the T-6 straddled 1947, and had old Army Air Corps numbers and also modern US Air Force nomenclature'.   "AT" did, in fact mean Advanced Trainer in prehistoric times.

The modern planes have the red stripe in the insignia and the ancient ones have the plane blue & white wings.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2008, 07:11:32 AM by ama21835 »
Paul Smith

Offline Ray

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2008, 04:25:09 PM »
T = Trainer

A = Attack

When you put weapons on trainer it becomes an Attack Trainer, as in the AT-37 Dragonfly and the AT-28 Trojan.

Same-same for Cargo, as in AC-130 Spectre.

Not for the SNJ (Navy designation).  AT for these always meant Advanced Trainer, as already pointed out. 

Offline Dave Nyce

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2008, 08:53:26 PM »
Thanks for the AT-6 info.  My grandfather's brother was a stunt pilot in the 1940s, and flew an AT-6.  I was thinking of building a C/L scale model sometime.

Dave
Dave Nyce   New Bern, NC 

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2008, 08:52:06 AM »
We (Black Hawk Models) kit a profile 1/2A model designed by Dick Sarpolus.

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2008, 06:41:41 PM »

Theres a possibility a profile might wweigh a bit less and fly real well.

Offline Terry Bolin

• Captain
  • Havin' the time of our lives!
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2008, 06:34:18 PM »
Those are VERY nice looking, Great Job!
Terry B.

Offline Wynn Robins

• Admiral
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2008, 02:08:16 AM »
I have plans for a scale t-6 - let me know if you are interested and I can e-mail them to you
In the battle of airplane versus ground, the ground is yet to lose

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here