News:

• May 02, 2024, 08:17:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Strega wing as platform  (Read 1081 times)

Online Gordon Tarbell

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Strega wing as platform
« on: July 22, 2010, 02:21:34 PM »
Would the Strega wing be a good starting place for building a home grown stunter. Got the wing and a really nice looking fuselage plan (bashed TP). Was thinking about cutting the wing size down(to about 620") by taking span from root end, and putting it togeather with the modified TPfuse design , going 46VF Pipe setup.
Gordon Tarbell AMA 15019

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
Re: Strega wing as platform
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 03:49:08 PM »
Would the Strega wing be a good starting place for building a home grown stunter. Got the wing and a really nice looking fuselage plan (bashed TP). Was thinking about cutting the wing size down(to about 620") by taking span from root end, and putting it togeather with the modified TPfuse design , going 46VF Pipe setup.

That will work after a fashion. I think 620 is a little on the small side, I would make it about 650. And if a Strega wing is all you have (ARF/ARF or builtup?) that's certainly what you should use. I don't care much for the wing, particularly the airfoil, but if you put on the right-sized flaps and make sure the LE is as blunt as you can possibly make it, it will be OK. I would also use a typical TP-style airfoiled low-aspect-ratio tail, too, instead of the ARF version.

Brett

Online Gordon Tarbell

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 09:26:18 PM »
What do you consider to be the right size and shape flaps for this wing. I was just going to start cutting the wing off at the root til I got to about 56" span leaving the tips some what blunt after listening to things you have said concerning tip design. If you are going to be at the arf off coming up real soon I could bring the cores out for you to see.
Gordon Tarbell AMA 15019

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 10:05:07 PM »
What do you consider to be the right size and shape flaps for this wing. I was just going to start cutting the wing off at the root til I got to about 56" span leaving the tips some what blunt after listening to things you have said concerning tip design. If you are going to be at the arf off coming up real soon I could bring the cores out for you to see.

Walt gave me the flier for that, but I lost it - when is the ARF contest (not ARF-OFF)?   

Short answer is maybe 20-21% of the total wing chord on average.

Brett

Online Gordon Tarbell

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, 07:54:40 PM »
Aug 1 is what I have for the ARF contest (Woodland)
Gordon Tarbell AMA 15019

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 07:40:21 PM »
My Strega is flying a lot better then ones I have seen down here and I believe it is because how I built the flaps. There is really some magic about making the flaps thicker and with a rectangular profile (no tapering and no rounding the T.E). My flap is built up, sheeted with 1/16th and it was covered with light weight fiberglass to make it tougher.

Better yet, if you can make flaps using carbon torque tubes like Howard has done it. Making flaps twist resistant, flat and with square T.E. works for me.

If you use the horn that comes with the Strega kit  I  recommend you make the flaps removable, like shown on the Impact plans. The Brodak horn that came with my kit was very tough to twist and I would not be able to twist the flaps to trim my model if they were not removable.

Martin
Old Enya's never die, they just run stronger!

https://www.youtube.com/user/martinSOLO

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2010, 05:48:34 PM »

640-650. Do take it from the root ends.
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here