News:

• April 27, 2024, 02:37:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: size matters  (Read 1313 times)

Offline bob werle

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
size matters
« on: July 06, 2010, 10:43:36 AM »
I have this great little Enya .09 that's needs a home and have been looking at different designs that could be shrunk to fit.  I do need some input from all the experts out there on just how big.  I am looking at about a 27" span 6" chord  for starters. Question--larger or smaller?  What target weight would I look for for the .09 size ship? 
I am looking at older designs 50's & 60's no flaps. I know small stunters aren't the greatest but I just have to find a home for this little Enya.   
ama 5871

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
Re: size matters
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 09:21:13 PM »
I'd go a little larger, as my 1/2A airplanes are bigger than you propose.  I'd go at least 30 x 6, or even 36 x 7, but not go over about an 18% thick airfoil.  With an Enya 09, you are going to want about a 12 to 14 oz airplane.  There is an 09 airplane called the Coquette published in MAN years ago which is a nice looking 09 airplane.  Another is the Chihuahua which was published in Aeromodeller.  A Sig Acromaster would be fine if built light.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 09:52:11 PM »
I really like the Wee Duper Zilch for an .09!

Follow Jim's suggestions if you are doing to design, shrink another plane.  Around 300 sq. in. is what many, today, are using for .15 size planes.  Pat Johnston's Ringmaster 307 is a great .15 size modern design that *looks* like a OTS lane.  Pat designed the Ringmaster 207 for me to use a Norvel Big Mig .061 on.  So, I am  guessing about 225-250 squares for the Enya .09.  It was a pretty stout .09 for the day.

I'd still go with the Wee Duper Zilch, though! LOL!!  It is one of the prettiest Zilches, IMHO.

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline bob werle

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 10:41:56 PM »
That's what I needed.  I am looking at the Scared Kitten right now.  I like Wild Bills designs.  My other idea eat a Stuntwagon also a neat looking old design.  It will probably be the Kitten.  I just like the simplicity of the design.
Thank you for your input
Bob
ama 5871

Offline afml

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 05:34:07 AM »
Shark 15 would be a good match-up also. y1

"Tight Lines!"

Wes
Wes Eakin

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 10:50:26 AM »
Shark 15 would be a good match-up also. y1

"Tight Lines!"

Wes

Yep! 

That reminded me of the Circus Prince!  I have an original PDQ built around 1964 and a *new* Brodak kit.  The Brodak kit would be just fine with the Enya .09, as would the Flying Clown.  (same wing, different fuselage)

A light built RM Jr. is also in that category, but a touch bigger possibly.

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline bob werle

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2010, 12:15:07 PM »
I have both a Flying Clown and the Shark 15 both with Fox .15's .  The Clown is built from Barry Baxter plans and the Shark is a swap meet find.  I am looking for something unique.  I love to be different.
ama 5871

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2010, 12:46:36 PM »
I have both a Flying Clown and the Shark 15 both with Fox .15's .  The Clown is built from Barry Baxter plans and the Shark is a swap meet find.  I am looking for something unique.  I love to be different.

Do you have a Circus Prince or a Wee Duper Zilch? ;D  Neither of those are common at all.  I *think* Barry has the Wee Duper Zilch plans, check it out.  There was one at an early VSC, but I have not seen one since.

A really off track, but good flying, model is Walton Hughes' Little Missile.  it was designed around the McCoy .09, IIRC.  I have plans and have cut out the parts for that one.

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2010, 01:08:54 PM »
I'd go a little larger, as my 1/2A airplanes are bigger than you propose.  I'd go at least 30 x 6, or even 36 x 7, but not go over about an 18% thick airfoil.  With an Enya 09, you are going to want about a 12 to 14 oz airplane.  There is an 09 airplane called the Coquette published in MAN years ago which is a nice looking 09 airplane.  Another is the Chihuahua which was published in Aeromodeller.  A Sig Acromaster would be fine if built light.

Listen to Jim, he as as much experience with these type models as anyone around. I think he's right on size-wise, around 250-270 squares. Almost any of the "15" sized models are about the right size - Shark 15, Jr Nobler, etc. - but they tend to be built a little more beefy than necessary to handle 19s and the like. Should be able to build a Shark 15 with an 09 to around 12-15 oz and it will be a killer at that weight.

Brett

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2010, 01:35:07 PM »
Hi Brett,

I posted for him to listen to Jim, also! LOL!!

Just kicking around ideas since he said he already had a Shark 15 and a Flying Clown.  And that he likes something that not everyone else has at the flying field. ;D

Bob,

The All American will also go well with the Enya .09  Not the Senior, or the Junior, but just the *All American*  I think my plans show a McCoy .09  ;D

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2010, 05:27:41 PM »
Wow, I had a Flying Clown with an Enya .19. Thought that was a great setup at the time (with my whole 14 years of worldly experience).
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline bob werle

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2010, 06:23:18 PM »
That Little Missile sounds interesting,what does it look like.  I have the plans for both the Circus Prince and the Wee Duper.  The Wee Duper is reduced for 1/2a I didn't think of it.  I have a 1/2a profile All American-just finished patching the wing after my last flight ,abrupt   landing.  O also have a laser cut rib set and fuse for a 1/2a Smoothie.  What can I say I like small. 
This is why I love this forum.  An exchange of ideas from people who are more qualified than myself.  I am a retreadthat was a sport flier that could never get thru a lazy 8.  1965  6 Flying Clowns met their end in the attempts.  I am just glad I like to build.
ama 5871

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2010, 10:36:11 PM »
Hi Bob,

I am writing my self a note to scan the pictures and plans and post them for you, tomorrow..  The plans are full size, and on regular sized typing paper.  It has a fairly swept back leading and trailing edge.  it is *swept wing* I guess! LOL!!

I have the full fuselage All American, also.  I believe it is plenty sturdy enough to deal with the Enya .09

The Little Missile *might* need a bit of reinforcing to use the Enya, while the old McCoy .09 is no problem.  Ir probably doesn't really need anything added, it just might look that way. ;D

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2010, 08:53:47 AM »
Do you have a Circus Prince or a Wee Duper Zilch? ;D  Neither of those are common at all.  I *think* Barry has the Wee Duper Zilch plans, check it out.  There was one at an early VSC, but I have not seen one since.

A really off track, but good flying, model is Walton Hughes' Little Missile.  it was designed around the McCoy .09, IIRC.  I have plans and have cut out the parts for that one.

Big Bear

Bill,
not to be argumentive but any model designed for the Mccoy 09 sportsman is really a 1/2A model. To be fair I think the Cub 09 and any given day could do as well as the mccoy and was lighter to boot. Same can be said for the sportsman 29/36. Nice runners but in the same league as the Forster and O&R engines.. Time and memory have a bad habit of softening the rough edges of the memories of our youth.
Dennis

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Re: size matters PICTURE ADDED: 7/10/10
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2010, 09:43:59 AM »
HI Dennis,

Yes, you are correct.  No argument with that! LOL!1

But, an Enya .09 could definitely be used, no huge physical size different, or weight difference, so why not use one?

Big Bear
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 10:33:58 AM by Bill Little »
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Terrence Durrill

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2010, 12:01:07 PM »
Amazing that some are recommending the "Flying Clown" for an 09.  Yes, I know it is more suited to the .15-.19 size engines, but I won a "Flying Clown" kit in contest at Mexico, Missouri in 1956.  I flew mine with a K&B .35 greenhead from 1956 to 1967, including some combat matches.  Was never able to destroy it and finally gave it to my brother-in-law in 1967.  He flew it with a McCoy Redhead .35.........tough little airplane!........TDurrill   H^^

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2010, 12:22:20 PM »
Amazing that some are recommending the "Flying Clown" for an 09.  Yes, I know it is more suited to the .15-.19 size engines, but I won a "Flying Clown" kit in contest at Mexico, Missouri in 1956.  I flew mine with a K&B .35 greenhead from 1956 to 1967, including some combat matches.  Was never able to destroy it and finally gave it to my brother-in-law in 1967.  He flew it with a McCoy Redhead .35.........tough little airplane!........TDurrill   H^^

Hi Terrence,

Funny you should mention the Flying Clown!  I never had a Clown, but I had its sister the Circus Prince (same wing) that I built in '64.  Started out with a Fox .15X, went to a McCoy .19 RH, then for giggles put a Fox .36X on it. ;D  It was pretty quick with Missile Mist and a TF 9X8. ;D  I still have it! LOL!!!!!!!!

Mngo
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline bob werle

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2010, 10:28:15 PM »
I had the Scared Kitten plans taken to a 32" span.  I works out to approx 220 sq. in.   Thanks all for all your input.
ama 5871

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here