News:

• April 27, 2024, 01:37:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Sig Akrobat question  (Read 1665 times)

Offline Jim Oliver

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Sig Akrobat question
« on: August 12, 2008, 08:35:32 PM »
Guys,

What can you tell me about the Sig kit of the Zlin Akrobat as a stunter??  Worth the time and effort??

Thanks,
Jim
Jim Oliver
AMA 18475

Offline Ralph Wenzel (d)

• Captain
Re: Sig Akrobat question
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2008, 09:47:06 PM »
I have one NIB. One feller said that the flaps were too small and it weighed too much to turn well. He didn't mention the all-up weight, however, nor whether hinge lines were taped. (Probably not, as none of his other planes have been taped.) It certainly is a good-looking plane, and probably is worth the effort to build light and straight. Maybe a Brodak B.40 or an Evolution .36 ? ? ?

Ralph
(Too many irons; not enough fire)

Ralph Wenzel
AMA 495785 League City, TX

Alan Hahn

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 10:16:45 AM »
I know several people who had them and liked them but I haven't had any experience myself (they were already out of production when I came back into CL). I'm guessing the kit could have suffered from the sometimes less than great wood you sometimes get. I see that in the Twister--some have nice light wood, and some not. May have depended on what the production crew grabbed that day when they were die cut.

When I took a Sig Factory tour back many years ago when they still offered them during the SIG CL contest, the lady in charge of the balsa sales  made it clear that the balsa she had and the balsa for the kits were two separate things. Not positive on what take you can make of that!

Offline James Lee

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2008, 12:39:57 PM »
The basic wing is the same as the Chipmunk....   Different tips and outlines etc....    Todd and I have done one each and found them to be quite nice flyers.....    y1  y1   Plus, they do look different....    The cowl in the kit is not too friendly    HB~>
Mine didn't fly worth a *^&% HB~> till I whacked it at a Wichita contest, after the rebuild it was  a real joy!!  ???  Musta inadvertantly fixed the misalignment...     
Well worth doing, especially if you want something that hasn't been done very much.
Later
Jim

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2008, 07:10:14 PM »
I dig the Akrobat. I did pretty well with one a few years ago. I didn't know enough then to replace the heavy kit wood and wound up with a 48.5 oz plane that should have weighed more like 43- 45 oz. Still, it was a great flyer with an FP.40 on 63ft lines. I did put a 4" suspended bellcrank in it and ditched the plastic cowl.
I have a NIB kit that I plan to copy and make a really nice, light Akrobat with. One of my very favorite designs.
-Clint-

AMA 559593
Finding new and innovated ways to screw up the pattern since 1993

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2008, 08:56:49 AM »
I had one that still exists, I gave it to another flyer in our club.  My kit had some very heavy wood in it, and I ended up replacing just about everything except the wing ribs.  I also made a Nobler style balsa front and and cowl, as I had not been happy with the ABS plastic cowls on my Super Chipmunks.  I used an FP-35 and had some good success with it.  You don't see too many of them around, but they fly quite well.

Steve
Steve

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here