News:

• May 02, 2024, 04:03:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Revising Streak (Flite Streak) Moments. Effects?  (Read 1509 times)

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Revising Streak (Flite Streak) Moments. Effects?
« on: October 18, 2010, 10:28:43 AM »
Folks often revise the aerodynamic moments of the vast Streak family. Adding nose and tail moments. What effects have you observed? Presently I've a Brodak Streak kit, an ARF Flite Streak and a jr. Streak kit. Planning to assemble/build these in the next few weeks. My thought is to put a honking 40 on the ARF Streak, using the ARF wing and tail surfaces plus a new cut solid 1/2" balsa fues. The Brodak Streak will probably be built light with an FP25 or 20 stuck up front. The 40 powered plane will need more nose moment to allow a 3.75 ounce chicken hopper, my thought is to add some extra tail moment as well. So. How have folks done this common experiment? Your subjective/objective results? On the jr Streak I plane to mount magnum 15 with a tongue. That one may get a bladder. Any thoughts about that? One of my happiest knock about planes of the moment is an FP15 jr. Streak with a tongue and a 2 ounce chicken hopper. Lotsa fun. So. Why mess with success. Because. You know. What the heck. The magnum 15 on bladder might be more fun (or a pain in the A.)

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
Re: Revising Streak (Flite Streak) Moments. Effects?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 07:29:36 PM »
I built a Brodak Jr. Streak with extended nose to accomodate the tank I wanted to use and put the TD 09 a little more forward for balance.  Had to add a little tail weight.  It flew very well. 

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 08:04:36 PM »
Leave the nose length the same and put the tank on the inside?
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 09:42:49 AM »
I suppose it depends on how much "revision". I just built a Ringmaster that was "revised". I certainly don't even suggest that it's Old Time or Classic legal. I mean, an OS40VF and tuned pipe put that to bed. But it is a revised Ringmaster. It was designed starting with a three view of an S-1 Ringmaster.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2010, 11:40:41 AM »
Anyone mess with the Streak airfoil? No doubt a key element in George's magic formulation. The Gieseke Nobler foil, however, IS preferred by many over the stock Aldrich shoe.

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2010, 02:32:45 PM »
I had a dozen Top Flite kit Flite Streaks.  I like the design.  It flys great.

The major flaw is the short nose that makes it next to impossible to fit a gas tank between the engine and the wing.  Even if you do, it ends up nose heavy like crazy.

So the logical fix is to extend the nose enough to fit your engine and tank, then extend the tail moment twice as much.

George designed the wing.  Don't mess with that.  You'll only screw it up.  

If you want to build it "stock" use an LA 25 and learn to make tanks.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 11:24:25 AM by Paul Smith »
Paul Smith

Offline Russell Shaffer

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2010, 06:47:05 PM »
I have built several Streaks from Pat King's plans.  He is in the profiles if you want a set of his excellent plans.  I think they are pretty true to the original airplane.  I have powered them with Foxes (about as light an engine as there is) and built the tail feathers from 3/16 instead of 1/8.  Don't taper the rear of the fuselage at all and the CG's on mine have come out right on the money.  Yep, you do have to build a special tank if you want a very long run, or experiment with an inboard tank.  Some very knowledgeable people have used inboard tanks with great results, Dirty Dan comes to mind. These are very fun airplanes flown fast or slow.  
Russell Shaffer
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Just North of the California border

Offline Kim Mortimore

• 2013 Supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2010, 06:33:38 PM »
....Some very knowledgeable people have used inboard tanks with great results, Dirty Dan comes to mind. These are very fun airplanes flown fast or slow. 

Also some not especially knowledgeable people.  Several guys at one of the clubs in my area have had great success with the 3 oz. Hayes clunk tank mounted on the inboard side of fuselage.  Very steady runs.  I was amazed that they didn't go rich after takeoff from centrifugal force.  When it comes to fuel systems, many of our pet theories + two bucks buys a cup of coffee.  Go figure.  (Yes, Dirty Dan the Heretic is the galaxy's leading authority on inboard tank Streaks, along with numerous other subjects.  If you don't believe it, just ask him). 

Another option for scratch building would be to scale the plane up.  A 48" or 52" FS for example, should have heap big mojo.  More elbow room for the tank also. 
Kim Mortimore
Santa Clara, CA

Offline Russell Shaffer

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2010, 08:21:06 PM »
Pat's Streak plans come in many sizes and shapes. The big one has a Veco 45, the little one isn't a Pat King plan that I know of.
Russell Shaffer
Klamath Falls, Oregon

Offline Russell Shaffer

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2010, 01:40:21 PM »
The bipe is great at low altitude, but I'm at 4100 feet and it needs more wing here.  When I build another I'll add 2 bays to each wing (one on each end).  An Enya 35 is just right.
Russell Shaffer
Klamath Falls, Oregon

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2010, 12:50:58 PM »
I built the Bipe Streak and flew it until the top wing came off after numerous flights.  It had to fly fast to keep from falling out of the sky.  It was a fun plane and plan on building another.  Lengthening the nose on the Original Top Flite Flite Streak would be more in line with what George Aldrich told me one time.  He was still upset that Top Flite shortened the fuselage.  The Flite Streak got me thru inverted and 8's.

Now how about some details on that inboard tank?  H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2010, 07:28:36 PM »
The story I read was that George had a harmonic problem (foaming fuel) with the prototype Flite Streak, modified the drawing to shorten the nose 1" and sent them off to TF.  I think that's more likely, anyway. Axlerod did the fancy LE & TE, and I doubt that George was pleased with that heavy nonsense. But at least, they were made at the same time, from one piece of wood (from memory), and all the rib notches thus lined up perfectly. Sterling kits were horrible for rib notches not being in the right place.  :P Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2010, 11:19:48 PM »
Yes, I heard that story about GA fearing the bad harmonics in the nose. Which is why he cut the nose back 1". Profiles are terrible voodoo children when it come to bad vibes. The  fues I'm making for my ARF streak is covered and in the process of sanding out. I put the inch back in the nose, hope it's not a fatal flaw. Since I am not looking for a stunt run, but plan on running the Tower 40 at max rpm, I think it'll work. The nose is reinforced the usual ways. Also added two inches or so to the tail moment. I hope to fly the bird this weekend. If... Sorry to say it doesn't really look like a Flite Streak anymore. Too bad.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2010, 11:05:33 AM »
I guess the best bet is do like the young lad back east and enlarge the whole Flite Streak.  Remember it was designed as a combat plane as well as a stunt trainer.  It was meant to go fast.   H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here