News:

• April 28, 2024, 08:28:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Profile warbird #11  (Read 1207 times)

Offline Don Hutchinson AMA5402

• 2014 Supporters
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Profile warbird #11
« on: December 08, 2009, 12:24:37 PM »
Due to the changing conditions on the battle field, warbird #11 will not be the Mustang. The requirement for additional close air support dictates that the P-47 Thunderbolt be given a higher priority. Preliminary engineering is complete. Work on final drawings will commence following the holiday shutdown. Release is planned for mid January. There will be options to build any of three versions of this airplane on the drawings. So far looking real good, should be a great performer!
Don

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Re: Profile warbird #11
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009, 06:25:26 PM »
 Roger that.
 As requirements are constantly changing on the battlefront, so too do our aircraft need to evolve in design. The obvious production designs given the current situation on all fronts would be the Razorback and the Bubble Top versions, but is the third option still classified information or awaiting further development and testing? There is question in this theater of operations as to whether or not the experimental long nose version featuring a pointed spinner and a P-40 type scoop below the wing will be included in the production design blueprints.  :## 
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 08:54:09 PM »
No pointy nose, you can simply red line a set of the drawings yourself for that one. Really easy to do if you have a profile of the real thing. There will be the razorback and two bubble canopy versions. The dorsal and wing tips are different on those two. The drawings will ID the particular letter and dash number. At first I though the Jug would be a big ugly tank but after getting it on paper it looks really good. Will also have a real neat way to do the elliptical tips and keep them straight.
Don

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 09:34:10 PM »
"a real neat way to do the elliptical tips and keep them straight"
After fussing with numerous T-birds, a Phoenix and a Charisma, that is music to my ears...sign me up now Don, I might even have to build this one!  8)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 07:49:34 AM by Pete Cunha »
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2009, 08:34:18 AM »
 Yep, I just had to toss a little jab in there Don. :## Sounds like an "N" model for number three.

Wayne Willey

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2009, 09:27:15 AM »
Well, I made a mistake. There will be four versions of the P-47 on the drawings, not three. I forgot one of the "D" versions had no dorsal fin. As for the pointy nose version, there were a number of them. Actually, the first P-47 design was a light weight fighter with the Allison V1710 engine. Before it was built, the military  sent out a new set of specs for a fighter and Kartveli started over with 2000 horsepower, the R 2800 and the supercharger and it became the Jug. There were a few pointy nose versions during the war. The "H" was to be powered by a Chrysler XI-2220 inverted 16 cylinder engine that was unsuccessful. This is the one you probably have in mind. The "J" had a big spinner and a fan assist cooling for the R-2800. The last one was basically a P-47 with a P&W R 4360 but was designated XP-72. Kind of like swapping the LA46 for a PA61! The onset of the jet engine ended that deal.
Don

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2009, 05:07:45 PM »
 Yep, XP-72. I think that's the one I've been trying to describe, I just couldn't come up with the designation...

...Shucks...just Googled XP-72 and yep, it's got the belly scoop. It's still slightly different than the one I'm thinking of though because the '72 has got a cowl opening all around the spinner backplate. The one I'm thinking of had a real pointed P-40 type spinner, and then it blended right into the fuselage with no real cowl opening other than the belly scoop. I've got pics buried in magazines somewhere...

I hope I'm not messing up your thread here Don, it's certainly not my intention, I'm just babbling... :## n~ :##

Carry on! ;D

Wayne Willey

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2009, 10:20:25 PM »
Due to the changing conditions on the battle field, warbird #11 will not be the Mustang. The requirement for additional close air support dictates that the P-47 Thunderbolt be given a higher priority.
Don

Glad to see your not neglecting our ground troops!!! #^
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2009, 07:53:11 AM »
I saw Don's P-47 drawing over the weekend. It really looks good. This will be another good one when it is completed.
AMA 7544

Offline Greg Howie

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2009, 01:36:38 AM »
Will  you have ribs for this one Tom ?
Oh ....I see ,you mean the ones on a string ?

Greg Howie

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2009, 06:49:42 AM »
Greg,
I will be doing some more of Don's ribs.  Each set requires computer time with little payback, so it depends on the demand.
Meanwhile I am trying to catch up on many items. We were hit by lightning last month. It blew the broadband antenna apart, hit the router and then my computer. Came in the back door, so all the protection programs and devices were useless. I am still working to recover files on the new computer.

Anyone who things that the cottage industry people are making money needs a dose of the real world.

Anyone who seriously wants ribs for Don's great warbirds, please let me know so that I can set priorities.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 08:55:57 AM by Tom Niebuhr »
AMA 7544

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here