News:

• April 27, 2024, 02:44:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Original Design - Triumph  (Read 1737 times)

Offline Jeremy Chinn

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Original Design - Triumph
« on: October 20, 2023, 08:49:12 PM »
About 20 years ago (wow, was it really that long ago?) I drew up a .40 size stunter and framed it up. I had some issues with the design that I did not like, and as a result, I never finished it. Unfortunately, I disposed of the airframe during a move, so I don't have it to work from.

I do however have the CAD plans I drew to build it from. I'd like to build a new one and rectify the problems I found when framing the first.

The design has a NACA0015 (or possibly a NACA0020, need to do the math and see which file I actually used) airfoil and a profile fuselage. I based the moments on some of Ted Fancher's writings about design.

FWIW, I'm a fairly experienced designer, about 200+ airframes designed and built (most RC and FF, a few CL), several sold to some of the major companies and produced as kits and ARFs. My CAD skills are super rusty right now, and I'm having to learn on a new software, as the old software I used to use is no longer available. I know aero design, I know model design, but CL design is not my strong point. 

I hope these pics attach....

Offline Mark wood

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
  • I'm here purely for the fun of it.
Re: Original Design - Triumph
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2023, 04:22:36 PM »
Nice. I personally have used a bunch of different CAD programs from Autocad and Unigraphics to the EasyCad BobCad budget tools. Today, I am fully transitioned to solid modeling and am using Fusion 360 which, which after some painful learning, I have began to truly like.

There's a point in the design process where you simply need to build and fly. Then make he changes after the experience. Of course you are already aware of that from your experience.

My $0.02
Life is good AMA 1488
Why do we fly? We are practicing, you might say, what it means to be alive...  -Richard Bach
“Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that’s not why we do it.” – Richard P. Feynman

Offline Jeremy Chinn

• 24 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2023, 09:11:15 PM »
Agreed completely Mark!

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2023, 03:52:33 PM »
About 20 years ago (wow, was it really that long ago?) I drew up a .40 size stunter and framed it up. I had some issues with the design that I did not like, and as a result, I never finished it. Unfortunately, I disposed of the airframe during a move, so I don't have it to work from.

I do however have the CAD plans I drew to build it from. I'd like to build a new one and rectify the problems I found when framing the first.

The design has a NACA0015 (or possibly a NACA0020, need to do the math and see which file I actually used) airfoil and a profile fuselage. I based the moments on some of Ted Fancher's writings about design.

FWIW, I'm a fairly experienced designer, about 200+ airframes designed and built (most RC and FF, a few CL), several sold to some of the major companies and produced as kits and ARFs. My CAD skills are super rusty right now, and I'm having to learn on a new software, as the old software I used to use is no longer available. I know aero design, I know model design, but CL design is not my strong point. 

I hope these pics attach....

I am curious why you are using such an extreme taper on the flaps.

Brett

Advertise Here
Tags: stunt 

Advertise Here